Subfinder to Aesop

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms.Blank, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Aug 18, 2015

I sub in two districts. Last school year, they both used Subfinder. This upcoming school year, they both have switched over to Aesop. So far, I hate it. The site isn't nearly as user friendly as Subfinder. At my yearround school where I did my student teaching, I've also heard teachers complaining about requesting subs via Aesop- apparently it doesn't just go down the line of preferred subs like you could do with Subfinder, but they are supposed to contact the sub they want to verify they can indeed work that day and just input the sub they want into the Aesop system. This makes me nervous, because from what the teachers and I understand, when they just input a sub's name into the system, it assumes they can work it...which doesn't work for me, since I sub in two districts! I can easily see this system double booking me. (This was more of a concern before I found out my second district was also switching over...it looks as though my Aesop account will link both districts together now, which should help with double booking, but still...I've just applied to another district, so who knows what system they will use).

Anyone else have a shift from Subfinder to Aesop this year? I'm assuming something either happened with Subfinder that schools don't want to deal with, or Aesop became significantly cheaper to use. Probably the latter.

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 18, 2015

One of the districts I subbed in last year used subfinder and I feel like I vaguely remember the sub office people telling us that Subfinder was bought out or something? I can't remember exactly because I rarely to never subbed in that district (they didn't pay as well as the other, especially after the 2nd district approved a pay raise for subs). I don't know if that would affect it or not.
    I feel your pain though! Keeping track of multiple districts is a hassle when you start getting requests.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2015

They do not need to call anyone to sub. They can put in a preferred sub list. In my experience, you can't prioritize the subs on your preferred list. Anyway, their preferred subs will have the first opportunity to take the jobs. Once the job is within a certain time frame, it opens the job to anyone.

If the third district isn't Aesop, just make yourself unavailable in Aesop when you are subbing for that third district. It is very simple to do and takes only a few seconds.

I've used Aesop as a teacher and as a sub and I found it way easier than any other system I previously used.

5. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Aug 18, 2015

Hmmm, perhaps it's just the learning curve that's throwing off the teachers I was working with :) I've personally never had to use it in that capacity since I'm not a teacher yet. Thanks!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2015

If they are waiting until like 7am the day of the absence, then the 'preferred' list won't really work. But, if they put it on the day before, it will be available only for 'preferred' subs for at least a few hours. Now, districts may be able to play with times and stuff. That I don't know. I just know about my experience from both sides.

Teachers could call someone before putting a job up. I only subbed for a month after getting off of an LTS. The teachers would hunt me down (or call) to see if I was available. Then they'd put it on while I was logged on so I could snatch it. Or they would bug our HR person to manually enter me.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2015

One more thing- unless a person has higher level access, they cannot put you in as a sub without you accepting it. Only HR could do it in the districts I am most familiar with. In my area, most subs are employed by an outside company. As an employee of the company, I could request to sub in a few dozen districts. I pretty much opened myself to any district within a half hour, so I would see jobs for 20 or more districts. Once I took a job, I could no longer see jobs for that day because I was marked unavailable to the other districts.

8. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Aug 19, 2015

Ahh, thanks for all the help, giraffe! I actually just got my login info for the other district today, and so far it looks pretty neat being able to have both my districts all on one site. Maybe I'll like this Aesop thing! :)