Subcentral

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Shylac, May 16, 2007.

1. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

May 16, 2007

I live in New York and i just got a letter about sub central has anyone ever heard of this? It is going to start here on may 30th, i usually sub at a few schools consistently, but now i hear you can be called all over new york, i think it sounds chaotic!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 18, 2007

My district uses that. Here is what happens. You will be asked to fill something out or maybe you already have, and it will ask you what grades/subjects you will do and at which schools you will sub. The "system" will call you when those schools or grades need a sub. Your phone number is only linked to the districts in which you will work.

What's cool is SubCentral allows schools to have a preferred list. So say you sub at ABC school all the time, you can ask (the secretary or receptionist) to be put on their preferred list. That way if a teacher is out and he/she doesn't specifically request a certain sub, the sytem will first call the people on the school's preferred list.

Hope this helps

4. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

May 19, 2007

Oh i see that makes me feel better because i usually am at one school all the time i thought that they wouldnt be able to call me anymore. I didnt register yet, it starts here in 2 weeks i was concerned that i would have to go to different areas i didnt want to travel to but i assume you can chose where you want to go? Its very confusing! Thanks for your help!

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 19, 2007

Yes, you choose. Just think of it like your district is trying a new system. The teachers at your normal school can still ask you in person to sub. You say yes and they will put it in the system as "pre-arranged" and it will not call you. You are considered already booked.

However, say they wake up and they are sick. They might just put it in with no sub's name. In that case it starts calling subs that are on the preferred list first and will then move on to the general population of subs who said they would sub that grade and at that school. When it calls you, you either accept or deny the job. You can also access it by internet and depending on how your district sets it up, you may be able to see jobs that available and you can pick them. My district doesn't do this but I can still see all the jobs I have accepted for the future and the past.

lemonhead