Subbing

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by RLucas, Jun 16, 2005.

1. RLucas

RLucas Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

Anyone from CA or anywhere period - what do you have to do to sub? I don't think I will have passed my CSET by the time fall comes around but I want classroom experience. Do I register with schools or districts? I have already passed the CBEST. Thanks for advice!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 16, 2005

I'm not sure about in CA, but around here you need to apply to sub in the district and many times the principals call the admin. building when they need a sub....unless they have a specific person that they want to request to come and sub. Either way, though, the applications go to the district...in Mass at least....

4. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jun 16, 2005

Here in Virginia you apply with the district and then go to the schools where you want to be put on the list and give them a letter saying you are on the approved list. To be a sub here you don't even need a degree. There is a payment scale based on degreed or not but as for a requirement, there is none. Subbing is a great way to get your foot in the door.

5. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I would start by calling districts near you to see what their requirements and procedures are. From what I've seen, there are district to district differences. As you likely know, passing the CBEST is the pimary requirement for becoming a sub in CA. You don't need to have passed the CSET to sub.

6. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 17, 2005

SOme districts here are very easy to get into - an application and fingerprinting is all it takes (plus some college). I am in a few districts whcih makes for many phone calls at 6am ;-). But I figure the more districts I am in, the more they see me and the better chance of getting a job there. It does not alwasy work that way. I subbed in a district for 5 years and they gave a job to a younger person. The exposure to different districts can't hurt.

7. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jun 17, 2005

Just curious..no degree!!! So anyone can teach as a substitute without college training! Incredible.

8. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jun 17, 2005

Yes, sad as it may be. We have a lot of Moms and college students sub for extra money. For long term situations you must have a degree as far as I know. We are in a very small, rural community and subs are hard to find. I bet if they required a degree, we would lose many of our wonderful subs.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 17, 2005

In Massachusetts it is the same situation. You only need 60 college credits to substitute...and actually I just recently heard of someone who's subbing after just one year of college (probably only about 30 credits). The pay is different (in most districts) for people who are licensed in the state, but many people use it as a job while going through college.

10. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 17, 2005

Wow! I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree and 165 credit hours (6 credit hours per full course) total, with 30 of those being toward my Bachelor of Education After Degree (I have one year left, which will give me 30 more credit hours).

With all that, I cannot sub until I've complete all my course work and my practicum (student teaching) and I've been approved for graduation from the B.Ed. program.

No one is eligible to substitute in Manitoba without a Bachelor of Education degree.

11. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jun 17, 2005

I think that's the way it should be.

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 17, 2005

It's the same here. The rule here is that you need a teaching degree, but the reality is that there aren't enough qualified teachers to fill the need all the time, so they move to unqualified people who put their name in. Even if you don't have degree, you can get lots of work subbing once you get to know the people in the schools (everyone, however needs to have a criminal police check done). I even did two long-term positions with only a Bachelor's because there was no one qualified for the positions - it was to teach French and we have great shortages of French teachers. Where is the work now that I'm qualified?! :( :confused: