Subbing your way in the door!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Master Pre-K, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

Hello All,

I just wanted to offer a little advice to all job seekers. At the risk of getting the Want Ads tossed at my head, I thought I'd ask...

Has anyone ever tried subbing to get a job?

Now, I know, some of you may have subbed before, and are really praying for a permanent job. But I have had several opportunities for work after being hired as a sub.

What I would like to suggest is a combo...subbing and temp work!

You will have the flexibility to interivew, while still getting some income. I understand we have mortgages, rent, and our kids to feed!

What I learned as a temporary secretary helped me as a sub. The more agencies that I registered for, the better chances of me getting calls. I could literally say, "yes, no...how much, how long?"

Subbing is the same way. If you sign up for 3 districts, you just tripled your chances of getting phone calls. And, if you have a temporary job too, you can get messages on your cell phone while you are doing your office job.

Several positions may open in the middle of the year, and more likely during the second semester. If you have a district that uses you regularly, trust me, they will consider you first!

And, you can see the job openings on the board! You will have insider scoop, (ex. Ms. B is pregnant and she said she is definitely not coming back this time!!) And you will have even better references.

There is nothing more satisfying than having a teacher tell me, "I want you back, I am taking off a few days next week, and I will ask for you!"

I know it is not what you want. But, I just wanted to put that out there.

I have done this for years, and not only did I learn alot, I made some new friends!

If you can sub and temp, that is money in the bank. Somebody will start calling you at 6 am before you know it! Working two days out of the week gives you three days to keep interiewing, and make follow up phone calls!

So, if anyone has not tried it..thought I'd make that suggestion.

or, if you want to vent..because subbing did not work for you....feel free to do that too.

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

Subbing did not work for me. The district is so large that I could sub every single day. I have had numerous teachers tell me "oh, they will love you." After two years of subbing, I am completely burned out from it. Yes I have done LTS multiple times and every time I have to go back to day-to-day it just kills me.

I will be volunteering in a library as a tutor and reading stories to kids. I've joined several professional organizations. Why should any school hire me if I'll continue to be the "good" sub that will do whatever they want.

I've posted this already but I think it bears repeating. A school that I did 3 LTS positions in had an opening and it was on one the teams I did the LTS position. I did not get an interview. I found out that they hired a first-year teacher who has a bachelor's degree and no experience beyond interning. Hello, I have a master's, multiple LTS experiences plus student teaching under my belt!! Argh!! The topper was getting a call asking me if I would take another LTS position at that school. I told them no, thanks I was only seeking full-time employment.

4. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Back in my hometown, I have actually heard administrative personnel basically say they do not want to hire subs because it is hard to get good subs. So if you're good, you're screwed, and if you're not, they won't hire you anyway.

5. jrj

jrj Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Subbing!!!

Yes!

I did it for 2 1/2 years and it was the luckiest professional decision I ever made. While others had to put in time a student teacher -I built enough credit, where I didn't (I'm sure the rules have changed). Plus I found out what level I wanted to teach (NOT Jr. HS!!! or even Elementry) and where I didn't want to teach. Got a real nice LTS and eventually landed the job of my dreams.

jrj

6. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I would like to add that not all districts do this- but a lot do, from what I have heard. :)

7. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

The same thing happens here that emmyblemmy was talking about. If you are a good sub, school would rather keep you as that then hiring you. It's a bummer.

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

I was told I was a good sub. I was not hired by the district and now I feel like I need to start all over.

9. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I agree. I believe if you are a good para or a good sub, they do not want to lose you. I have a friend who subbed for years (almost every single day) and when she got her teaching certification, they wouldn't hire her. Several co-workers and myself were shocked!

10. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I know that alot of schools will not hire a good sub for a permanent teaching position, but why? It seems ridiculous. So you lose a good sub, but you gain a good teacher. Isn't that better than the alternative of a sub getting hired in another district? I know that admins do this, but there is no common sense in it. When are they going to catch on that they will either gain a good teacher or lose a good sub to another district????

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

So, you are always the bridesmaid...never the bride?

The don't want to lose you as a sub...they would rather hire somebody fresh out of school, even though you have experience??

And MAT says, the higher your degree the less chances of you getting the job??

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

Here, here!!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

ok, not to add fuel to the fire...but..

what about non-district, private employment agencies??

I signed up for two...I only worked one so far.

It was called Teachers On Reserve. They are located in Glendale, CA. They sent me on some really good assignments. I got to know my way around town, and I learned some new things.

I know if I was really interested in the jobs, I could come back, about a week later, and the schools would just act like I just came in off the street. Just like with temp work, the company/school doesn't want to pay the recruiting fee.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

another thought...what if you subbed for high school only??

they make more, here in Illinois anyway.

Tell the other schools you are no longer available... That will get them! Then, work for the high schools only! I know working with older kids is not for everyone. But I subbed in the office once. You have smaller classes, and if anyone gets out of pocket, you just press the buzzer and security comes!

yes, not something you want to picture...

just a thought

15. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

16. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I completely agree about subbing not equally a foot in the door. I've been told I'm a good sub and I've seen positions pop up in districts I've done regular subbing and long-term subbing in and in some cases they won't even give you an interview if your a sub. They don't want to lose a good sub, which makes it very difficult to get out of subbing once you start. You can never make that move to the regular classroom. At least, in my experience anyway.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

ok, well...I just wanted to offer some advice...
    Guess everyone has already tried this route..and it just seems to backfire. :(
    Let's just hope that you continue to get calls and interviews, and pretty soon send us "I got it!" threads!!!

18. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

I subbed for 2 and half years and I volunteered in the school I did my student teaching in. That is how I got my job. My district only hires from the sub pool!

19. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

Where are you teaching? I will sub for that district if it isn't too far from where I live!!!!!

20. KinderCali

KinderCali Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

be clear with them about your goals

I subbed for one year, like crazy, to get known and get a foot in the door. Then I met with the admin (who knew me pretty well by then) and asked about openings for the following year. They gave me the old "We aren't really sure, but we could definitely use you as a sub next year". It was a school desperate for subs. What I did then was tell them, clearly and in no uncertain terms, that I would not be available to sub the following year, that I was looking for a full time position only and was willing to relocate if I had to to get full time employment. This worked for me, in that it forced them to see me in a new light, and that they couldn't keep me on forever as a sub. I was as nervous as can be telling them this, but I think it made them respect me more.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

so kinderCali, you played hard ball with 'em, and you got respect!

Hmmm...maybe that's it. ;) They think they got subs by the tail, because you need to eat, and you're not willing to break out of the game and risk not having any income!

I think there are people who are just want to sub, and are happy to do it, and then there are plenty of folks who honestly want their own classroom. The schools should have enough since to see that, and know the difference!!!

Glad you made your move, and it worked for you!!!

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

I subbed for 4 years part time and then for 1 year full time before I got hired. I did get hired at my dream school, but not the dream position. I even had to go back and certify in something that I would have never certified in if not for the position that I was hired into. Our district is beginning to hire off the sub list, but most of our teachers that got hired a few years ago did student teaching in our district. We have only a handful of really good subs. We need more subs in Texas.

23. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

I sent you a PM.
    It did take a long time and I realized that patience was key!
    I think the volunteering once a week was a big plus, I would recommend giving it a try.
    I learned from some other subs mistakes...
    1) Make sure you are known... be early, say hello to everyone, treat every day as if it were an interview, and make friends with some teachers as many principals will ask teachers if they know of anyone they should look into.
    2) Don't be pushy. Do not give your resume to everyone and ask about all of the jobs that are open all the time. These things are ok to do now and then, but they do come across as pushy. Do not call HR every week and ask for interviews. I know two people who were finally told that the district does not want to deal with them after this.
    3) Make sure you are on your local reap web site and visit it and the local districts web sites often (about once a week)
    These are the things I learned.
    Hope it helps:)

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

sounds like we have a connection!!! :cool:

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

BTW, I am in Chicago. If anyone is interested in teaching pre-k, and/or Head Start, there are openings here! I'd be glad to share my info!

26. Caseyjam

Caseyjam Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Has anyone else found REAP to be of little help? The few positions that I have found on the site all seem to be filled by the time they are posted. I've also dealt with districts who have had openings and say they use REAP, but they only post on REAP if necessary. I just haven't found REAP to be much help, at least here in Ohio.

27. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Aug 15, 2007

To be honest, I am in upstate NY, the teacher capital of the world :p It doesn't matter if you sub every single day, have a maternity position, or even if you are a support teacher in the district, there are no guarantees that you will even get an interview much less a job!

I had a rude awakening in the district I subbed in this year. I did my student teaching for undergrad in one of the elementary schools in the district and loved it. So when the time came to sub, I thought well, I'll get the experience and get my foot in the door, but I soon realized that subs in the district are a dime a dozen and they treat their subs like crap. I am better off trying to get a permanent position in one of the schools than hopping around from school to school. Also as a sub, you don't necessarily get the benefit of working closely with other teachers. I usually left a note to how the day went. I can't imagine any of the teachers whose rooms I subbed in would be able to provide me a really solid reference.

This year I am doing a paid special education internship in the same district, but it should be better because I'll have a set position and classroom. After this year, I will begin applying for teaching jobs or even support teaching jobs because at least I will have one building principal who will know me and staff that I will work closely with. Hopefully, they be able to provide me with good references when the time comes.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

ok..I have read a few other threads...

It seems that I may want to revamp this a bit...

SOS...

subs on strike!

Maybe a part time, evening job is a better solution. I know many of you are very worried, and are hoping to find work soon.

Some folks like to sub. But anyone who has made it clear they want a permanent position should not be treated like a comodity. I completely understand.

Additionally, I just learned that Chicago Public Schools purposesly holds job fairs in the summer (one was held today). This makes it hard for good candidates to consider finding work. Many teachers give up looking in Chicago because they don't want the pressure of interviewing in August. Why would anyone wait two weeks before starting school to look for work??

So if anyone is in Indiana or even Wisconsin, maybe you might consider driving to Chicago for work. Looks like they still have plenty of openings.