Subbing woes!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 1, 2016

Last week, I subbed on Thursday and Friday. However, I had to spend the entire day at work on Saturday to catch up on everything since I was out of the office for two days.

We have a major sub shortage in my district! Ugh.

I prefer taking over a class myself rather than distributing students to other classrooms. It's a burden on teachers when they have to house students for the day--especially if the students aren't in their grade-level.

On another note: I spent Friday in a 2nd grade classroom (seven years of my career were devoted to teaching second grade). At the end of the day, I told myself, "Yup, you've still got it!" LOL.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    MrsC likes this.
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 1, 2016

I think it's wonderful that you take time (voluntarily or not) to teach occasionally. Too often, admin members fall out of touch with what it's like to be in a classroom all day. The Saturday work sucks, though. :confused:

bella84 and mathmagic like this.
  4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 1, 2016

Wow! I am impressed. I would love to have my principal sub for me. Neither my principal or vice principal taught lower grades. I think they sometimes need a reality check. Plus my pet peeve is teachers that don't leave detailed lesson plans. When I teach the same age level and I can't follow them, how do you expect a sub to? If our principal might sub for us, some of my peers would do a better job.

bella84 likes this.
  5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 1, 2016

In terms of staff morale, team atmosphere and administrative support your action will pay for itself many times over. In addition, students get to see you as someone interested in their learning close-up versus a close-up encounter under other circumstances.

I recall a principal I worked with first year. She had on on-going policy of taking over each teacher's class once a month for one period to teach a lesson. This was before we had a prep period. She would suggest we use the time to do something we normally didn't have time to do. I attribute the positive and enjoyable working atmosphere to her direct involvement with staff.

MrsC likes this.