Subbing with an aide in the room

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by snapples, Nov 14, 2011.

1. snapples

snapples Rookie

Nov 14, 2011

I don't know if this is just me, but when I sub with an aide in the room sometimes I feel a little uncomfortable. It depends on the aide, but I have experienced where they take over a chunk of teaching for the day even though the sub plans are left for me. and It seems like they take on the role of the teacher, and I shift into the position of the aide. I have been an aide for years and have never done this when there is a sub because I feel that the kids should recognize the sub as the teacher.
    I know each classroom is different and not every aide does this, but this has happened a couple times. I know they know the routine and students better but are there any suggestions on how to handle situations like this? I love to teach and don't feel very comfortable taking a back seat in these situations.

ps: I also sub as an aide quite a bit and find these days a little boring since I'm not teaching, just kind of hanging out in the room all day helping out here and there. I always offer to do prep, clean, work one on one w/ a student, or whatever to keep myself busy but those days drag. Is that just me??

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2011

Honestly, I would talk with any aide in the classroom prior to the kids coming into the room. I usually leave in my plans what my aide should do during the time so that the sub has an idea of how our classroom works.

However, I have a class where I have a co-teacher. In this case, I do expect my co-teacher to step up and teach my lesson. I then leave the sub different plans that let her/him know what to do during this period.

4. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

I think you need to let the aide handle the class if she wants to. Obviously that is what they are used to doing. But you can ask before the kids get there, what her usual routine is and tell her your preference.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 15, 2011

I used to be that aide. The teacher and I preferred it that way for continuity and because I was studying to be a teacher. It got to the point where we just informed subs ahead of time.

6. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 15, 2011

If the teacher has left in the plans that the associate will be covering a certain part of the lesson, then I would step aside and let her do it. However, if the teacher has not mentioned anything about it in her plans, it is yours to teach.

I know exactly what you mean about some associates. In three years of subbing, I have gotten to work with quite a few. I have run across some amazing associates who did just enough to support without taking over. They realized that even though I was the substitute, I still needed to be the one in charge.

I have also worked with a few associates that just about drove me crazy! No one wants to be bossed and told what they are doing wrong for the entire day! I once had a one-on-one that completely left her student to his own thing for the day and decided to be my one-on-one. She nagged me about everything right down to how I had the students put on hand sanitizer before their snack. She didn't like it that I had them put it on themselves and told me that I should put it on for them. I still fail to see why it matters!

In the tougher situations, I have learned to be very patient and kind. If I make a big deal about it, who knows what this individual could tell the rest of the staff. In the long run, it is better to try and ignore it, get through the day, and remember the classes where these more difficult people are.

7. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

My Way of Handling It

I used to go in and not say a word and then I found there was so much confusion about who was going to do what. I had an aide that wanted to do all the teaching, but when it came to her break times she just took off. When she came back from the break she stopped me in the middle of what I was teaching, because she didn't like the way the lesson was going. I think it was going just fine. I think she just wanted all her power back, honestly. So now I do this......... I show up, I walk in the room, I introduce myself and I say, "So who is going to be the teacher today you or me?" "I don't care if it is you, but you need to let me know." "Do you want to do all the teaching, give the directions, teach them the lessons, tell them when to get ready for lunch, etc., and I will be the para-pro or do you want it the other way around? The funny thing is that since I have started doing that they always say, "Oh, you do the teaching and I will just assist you!" I'm done ***** footing around about it. If the para wants to run the show, go for it! I still get paid either way, and it's actually less stress. Just please let me know, so I'm not all confused.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 15, 2011

That's not a bad plan. It does make it more clear, especially since you are doing it before the fact for clarity and not as a frustration thing during.

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 15, 2011

I've never had the experience of subbing where there is a general aide for the entire classroom in elementary. I've had aides who are there specifically for one or two students and have never had problems. A few times they've complimented me on my handling of the class. I did have one experience where there was a sub for the aide and I was subbing for the teacher -- she actually did try to take over.

When I sub in state preschool rooms, there are generally one or two aides. I usually ask if they're comfortable taking the lead. They know the kids and the routine and with younger children, it's easier to keep the day as familar as possible. I'm not not any ego trip. My goal is to make the day go as smoothly as I can make it.

10. snapples

snapples Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

Thanks Stella, I like your approach to it just putting it out there saying ok who is teaching today? I just don't like the bossy aides that completely take over with no communication.
    I actually had a great day with an aide so I'm focusing on that instead of those negative interactions.

11. zentea

zentea Rookie

Nov 16, 2011

I just started subbing this semester. So far I have only had one aide in the room. At first I was sort of put off and wondered why they even needed a sub if someone else was going to be in the room. But it turned out the aide was only there for one period, and only assisted with classroom management and disciplinary issues.

12. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 16, 2011

When there's coteachers (which I know are completely different) a lot of the time we will tag team the lesson. If its a SpEd teacher in the room with me, a lot of the time they'll have me teach and then they will pull kids for individual testing. The aids usually provide back up and can answer questions for me and keep kids with behavior issues in line. I only ever had one aid completely (sort of) take over, and that was in the full time Learning Support room (moderate to severe). We talked before hand and I knew her well because I was friends with her daughter. She is AWESOME and doesn't put up with ANYTHING.

I've also had a class where I was the 3rd sub in three days, they were a hyper class to begin with, and all the aid did was sit in the back of the room and stare off into space. Although, to be honest, I don't know why she was an aid. She could have been 1:1 for a kid with a medical problem, it which she wouldn't have been doing anything anyways. (Meaning she's there just in case something happened)

13. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Nov 16, 2011

I wouldn't sweat it. I am a teacher's aide and I have been a sub in a similar situation. There's really nothing you can do. I've seen it from both persepctives.

Now, I'm an aide-- and when there is a sub-- I usually let them handle the classroom and I help with discipline/classroom management or if they have a question etc-- but I pretty much let them take the lead because I hate being " in charge" lol. However I know some aides that aren't like that.

I know it can be irritating- if someone is constantly stepping on your toes. Seeing it from a sub's perspective- I mean I use to hate it ! Because when I first statred subbing, I was always looking for an Aide position in the schools I subbed for-- and if I had an overbearing aide- I felt like it made me look like I wasn't competant or couldn't handle my class in front of the principal. So I use to hate that as well- because I couldn't show how much of a competent sub I was---- because this aide-- is in the way.lol.

But seeing it from an aide's perspective- the aide feels like they need to step up and show their professionalism. I mean their principal is looking at them too. So now that I am a teacher's assistant-- I see why they would get in my way-- because I am constantly worried about pleasing the teachers I work for/ I'm basically wanting to get a great evaluation at the end of the year. I never want to come off as lazy-- so I step up sometimes so I can look professional.--- I don't think aides mean to get in the way-- they are just trying to be helpful or at least that's my goal. I don't want a sub writing a note to my teacher saying that I wasn't helpful to them or that I sat and did nothing : (

The only way to solve this problem is to delegate tasks at the beginning of the day, First thing in the morning -- I would get the lesson plans and say--- Ok- I'll do math and you'll do science-- I'll take them to lunch and you pick them up. So that our roles in the classroom are clear and concise.So you guys are collaborating instead of dominating each other.lol. I hope this helps and I wish you luck on your next sub assignment. :)