Subbing with a student teacher

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Feb 1, 2011.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 1, 2011

How do you feel about subbing when there's a student teacher in the room?

I've only had it happen twice. The first time was in a kinder and it was the ST's week to teach the class. He really had some challenges with classroom management, so I pretty much just played sheepdog and kept the kids focused. I was also in a room a few weeks ago with an ST and it was her first week in the class. Anyway, she volunteered to teach one subject, which was fine with me. My general approach is to tell the ST that I don't want to step on any toes and be controlling, but I don't want to throw him/her into the fire if he/she isn't comfortable. If someone wants to make things easy for me and take the lead, I'm fine with it. At the same time, I'm the one getting paid to be there, so I have no problem running things. Part of my attitude toward this comes from my own ST-ing experience, where on the very first day of my second assignment (new school, new grade level) there was a sub who tried to dump everything on me in the first minute, "oh! you're a student teacher? That means you do all the teaching, right?" Fortunately for me, the Principal came in and reassigned me since I was new.

So...how do you feel about working with STs?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

During my student teaching it was always weird working with a sub. But when the sub came in and asked me how things were going and talked with me about how I wanted them to support me, it was so much easier.

4. bella

bella Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

I remember as a student teacher always liking when my co-op was out because it became MY class. I was able to see how well I could control the class without being nervous about getting critiqued.

When I sub and theres a student teacher, I usually talk to them about how much they want to do and then work from there

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 1, 2011

I just did a job yesterday. The S-T simply sat on her a-- all day while I taught... she said it was her 2nd week. I mean, if the roles were reversed and I was the S/T on my 2nd week, I certainly would have been out of my seat, waiting for opportunities to support learning (helping students during independent work etc.) She just sat there.

Not only that, she was quite uninviting in terms of her demeanor--not smiles, no trying to get to know students, etc. Just sitting/watching. I didn't mind it, because I don't like it when people take it upon themselves to support learning and impose their self and their standards as far as discipline, etc. on my teaching. But it is quite annoying when I look back... as she was just a bump on a log.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Some programs require STs to just observe for a few weeks prior to jumping in and teaching. She might be in one such program. Of course, she might also be an unhappy person, not like teaching, or be having an off day.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Wow! I couldn't imagine being a student teacher and just sitting there....

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 2, 2011

When I student taught, the best subs with whom I worked were the ones who took notes on my "performance" and gave me tips from one class to the next. When I was subbing and had the occasional student teacher, I did the same thing while offering myself in a supporting role. Usually, the student teacher had things well in hand so I could leave a glowing report for the cooperating teacher.

Once, while still student teaching, the substitute logged on the cooperating teacher's computer and ignored everything else, even when I had to break up a fight. I mentioned that in the incident report. Never saw that sub again.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

As a CT, I always made it clear in my sub plans which material/lessons the ST would be covering. As a sub, you should feel out the ST regarding how the two of you might 'team teach' for the day if it is not clearly outlined in the plans.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 3, 2011

I've never had to do it personally because I was a sub way before I became a studet teacher, so I just applied to be a sub for that district & they allowed me to kill 2 birds w/ one stone & NOT have 2 people in the room.

If I was ever a sub & the other person was an ST, I'd leave it up to them to do most of the work. I'll make copies, pass out & prepare things, etc. Now I will give the ST a little break here & there, such as if the kids need walking to/from recess/lunch & maybe teach for 15-20 min a couple times.

The ST shouldn't figure it as his/her free day just because there's a sub too.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

It definitely is not a free day...but it really depends how long the student teacher has been in the placement. If it is the first week, the sub will do more work. If it is week 7, the student teacher does more.

I love the idea about leaving the student teacher's responsibilities in the plans. It makes it easier for the cooperating teacher (less to write), the student teacher, and the substitute!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

We almost always have several student teachers in our building, all from different programs and with different program requirements. We have student teachers doing their first placements and, therefore, not doing much independent teaching and those doing their last placement being responsible for teaching most of the day. I agree that it's important for the sub to talk to the student teacher to find out what the expectations are and to follow the plans laid out by the absent teacher as to specific responsibilities.

Edited to add: If the student teacher is scheduled to teach, they won't take it as a "free day"; that fact would be very clear when the CT returns.

13. azure

azure Companion

Feb 3, 2011

I have subbed in rooms that have had a student teacher quite often since I live in a university town. I've only had a couple that were really awful. In those cases I left a lengthy note for the regular teacher in her mailbox in the office detailing the circumstances where I found the student teacher to be oblivious to what was going on.

14. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Feb 3, 2011

I'm student teaching now, and my university stated that the substitute is supposed to teach if we have one. I usually do it because I was a sub before student teaching. My districts did/do not pay me, however, despite that.

15. Vince

Vince Rookie

Feb 3, 2011

The two times I subbed with a ST, I graded papers and helped with behavior management. She wanted to do the teaching, so I that was ok with me.

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2011

I did a short term student teaching gig and my classmate did a double term. When I finished my 6 week term I started subbing. My first call was to sub in her classroom. It was weird! One week we were classmates and the next, I was the cert. teacher and she was a student still!!!

17. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Feb 10, 2011

As a student teacher, only one of my placements had a sub a couple times, and it was the same one. It was when I was basically running the classroom, so she sat there and did scrapbooking or something, hehe...

Now that I'm the sub, and I work with multiple student-teachers each semester, I talk with them first - even if the classroom teachers left very detailed plans. This way, the teaching becomes the 3 of us for the day: classroom teacher, student teacher, sub. No one is left out of the loop, and no one feels like they're inferior to the room. We all have one goal, which is to teach the children! :)

I actually had a lengthy discussion with a student teacher recently about the responsibilities of a sub and ST when the coop teacher is out. I basically said that the ultimate job of the sub is to do whatever the coop teacher does in her absence, whether there's an ST or not. Thus, if the teacher is usually out of the room during that week when the ST is teaching, I'll be in the room - of course - but working on a project for the classroom, etc. The kids will know the ST is the authority. If the coop teacher still teaches some subjects and observes the ST on the others, then I'll do the same.

I've done observation notes on STs' teaching if they request it or if I happen to have time to do so. I've also led the class and had the ST help me out as I teach. I've really not had a negative experience with an ST yet. I actually LOVE it when there is one, because it's a face that helps keep consistency for the day in the room and, of course, when it's the ST's week to run the classroom, it's an easy day for me! :haha:

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 10, 2011

During my ST, my CT was out with her senior daughter's track team. She missed one or two days a week. The school hired a sub, but the principal came in and discussed with me that those days I was in charge. He also explained to the sub that I had final say in what was happening. I loved it. When I finished ST, I subbed for the teacher the last two weeks of school while her daughter did senior things. I loved it.

19. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Feb 12, 2011

The district I student taught in allowed me to be the sub whenever my cooperating teacher was out. I loved it because I got paid for doing what I was doing anyways!

The county I work for does not allow our student teachers to sub. My teammate has a student teacher right now, and was out the other day. The sub told me that it was hard because she didn't want to step on the ST's toes, but there were a few times when she really wanted to step in. I think it's hard for both ST and sub!

Thanks for all the advice... I'm going to be out for a whole week before spring break for surgery, so I am a little nervous about leaving my class with my student teacher, sub, and aide. And they are going to have to take the class on a field trip. Aack!

20. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Feb 13, 2011

My thought is that even if they are new, they have been in that classroom more than I have. They ought to know the basics of routines, etc... I usually ask the ST if they want to "take the lead" since they know what how the classroom regularly works. Even things that the teacher may not mention, but which are easier for the kids if you do them the way the regular teacher does them. For example, if there is a homework routine that the teacher says the kids "know" but which they all seem baffled with as soon as she isn't there. The ST, even if just observing, has a better idea of that than me. Unless they are full time though, I am, of course, the one paid to be there and I am on top of things all day regardless.

21. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Feb 16, 2011

As a student teacher I took over the class. The sub offered but I felt the students knew me and in turn I knew the classroom expectations my cooperating teacher had. Whenever I had a sub I asked their opinions on things otherwise they sat back and let me teach the full day.

22. miss_gee

miss_gee New Member

Feb 21, 2011

When I was a student teacher and a sub came in, I took that as my shining moment to take over the class (semi) "my way" during the lessons, and with another body, she helped me out with behavior management. It was quite pleasant, actually.

Now, as a substitute, I haven't been in a class with a ST yet, but I hope she is one that's willing to work with me :)