Subbing while jobseeking vent

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by LovetoteachPREK, May 11, 2012.

1. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 11, 2012

Hello all,

Is anyone else subbing while actively looking for a full-time teaching position? I am finding this time of year to be particularly depressing. For example, I interviewed for a job at a school I have subbed for several times. I know I have done a good job while there and I've gotten to know the principal and several staff members. However, when I applied for an open position, the job went to someone from somewhere else. I thought subbing would be my way in the door, but it doesn't feel like it's working.

I guess I'm feeling frustrated at being "just a sub." Apparently, it doesn't look that good on a resume. And really, no one knows if you are doing a good job or not. You are alone with those kids in the classroom all day and the only time you are noticed is if you do something WRONG. I write great notes to the teachers, praising their class (if it applies) and I am friendly to everyone. I offer to help the other teachers out, I arrive early and stay until everything is done, yet I feel like I get no respect - and it gets me nowhere in the job search.

It's that time of year when all the teachers are getting thank yous and teacher appreciation gifts and all sorts of recognition and I guess I'm just feeling a little down that none of the efforts of the subs are appreciated. Especially when all this sub wants is her own classroom again.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 11, 2012

I know that a few years ago our principal was going to hire three subs for positions. Teachers complained they were our best subs---not really meaning not to hire them---and our principal stated that was one of the reasons that he was having doubts. Only two were hired.

4. Emmy

Emmy Companion

May 11, 2012

I'm no longer subbing, but when I was subbing I was also looking for a job. I subbed at one school where I was told I was an excellent sub, and teachers would always personally contact me to sub for them. Yet when a Kindergarten position came up they went with someone who was bilingual, even though the position was not for a bilingual class and the demographics of the school were not spanish speakers. It was very frustrating being "just the sub" which was a big reason why I left subbing. However since working private preschool (which is basically a lot of play, not much academic) I find schools not too impressed with that experience either.

5. mommafran

mommafran Companion

May 11, 2012

I recently got offered a job in a building I was subbing in so it does help to sub. BUT I know what you mean about getting frustrated when a job goes to someone else after hearing what a wonderful job you are doing and etc. My best advice is to keep subbing and God willing you will land a job soon. It may be in a building that you least expect. That is how it worked for me.

6. snapples

snapples Rookie

May 12, 2012

I completely know how you feel. I have had my credential for almost 5 years and have done a combo of subbing/aiding and so far it has amounted to no full time job. I have seen a good portion of my friends from the credential program go on to be successful teachers, and I feel stuck. It has been frustrating/depressing/etc but I just have to think that it will happen eventually. It can be really hard trying to focus on the positives when all you see are full time teachers around, and you are "just the sub".

Side note on the "just the sub" thing: I subbed in a class during Grandparent's day...which was a little awkward....but one girl introduced me to her Grandfather and said, " this is Ms. Sinn, she's just the sub" and her Grandfather said, "I doubt she is just a sub. Subs do more than you know and are great teachers too". That just about made my day, I still think about that a lot and appreciate it. So every once in a while we are recognized for the amazing teachers we are!!

7. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 12, 2012

How profoundly stupid and unfair on the part of those teachers. Really remarkable.

8. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

May 12, 2012

A friend of mine noticed one school she subs at never hires anyone that student teaches or subs there. She has since stopped subbing at that school.

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 12, 2012

Have you thought about asking the teachers for recommendations? The teachers that are working around you know how well you can manage a class and that is worth it's weight in gold. I've had a couple of subs while I was on campus and with one I walked by my room and had to stop and do a double take because the students were behaving so well. The sub left a great note, followed my plans and managed my class very well, I would definitely feel comfortable about writing her a letter of reference.

10. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

May 12, 2012

LovetoteachPREK,

Don't be so discouraged. Be confident that your hard work is being appreciated by the students also. I remember, one day I subbed for a teacher and her students were probably the most disrepectful group I have ever had. I was a liitle bit harsh on them as well. And the next day, one of them saw me in the hall way and said: " WE MISS YOU MS."...
    No need to tell you that these words made my day.

So never give up...

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

My dad's school won't hire good subs because good subs are hard to find. They have thousands of qualified candidates applying for their FT positions, so no worries that they won't find a "cream of the crop" person to fill them. However, it's harder to get a "cream of the crop" person to come in and be a daily sub, so when they find those people that are really good at subbing, they keep them in that role. The economy is so bad they know they're not in much danger of losing them to a FT position in another district. My friend subbed there for 3 years, was loved by everyone, got LTS jobs left and right- they usually held interviews for these positions, but it got to the point where the P would see her in the building and just ask her if she wanted to do it. However, when FT positions came up she often didn't even get an interview. She finally realized it wasn't going to happen and ended up relocating to another state to at least get some FT experience. The same situation happens in my building because it's really, really hard to get subs out here. The job market is much better, so most teachers who want to have FT jobs. However, when they find someone is willing to work as a daily sub or cover all the LTS positions, they're hesitant to let that person out of that role.

12. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 12, 2012

Yes Emmy, I've had that experience as well. I worked in a public preschool and still see that perception from employers. One called it "daycare," even though I'm also special ed and was handling IEPs and making all sorts of modifications, etc. Very frustrating!

Thanks all for your replies. It is nice to hear from others who are in the same boat. It IS frustrating, but as someone said, it is often the kids who appreciate us as subs, and I need to remember that. At one school I sub at often, I went out for recess duty and was greeted by a huge group hug and "We love you Mrs. ___ !" It about made me cry!

Good luck to the rest of you who are job hunting as well. May there be jobs for all of us in the near future.

13. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

May 13, 2012

I am currently subbing while looking for a job and completed two LTS assignments this year. I've actually been daily subbing for them for about 4 years. I know some places in our area that do not hire subs, and some places that almost exclusively hire subs... I think it's just up to the individual districts. I've also found it difficult going back to day to day, ESPECIALLY when I am in rooms where the staff does a lot of yelling at the kids... I'm not a yeller and this always makes me feel bad for the students. I have to focus on the future, really! I know that my past supervisors have really liked my LTS performance and every day that I daily sub I am showing them how versatile I am in a variety of settings. Finally, as I'm a daily sub, I get to watch veteran teachers do their stuff (I often sub as an aide as well), take data, work with all kinds of kids, learn new ways of managements and instruction, meet new people, and make a difference! It can be very frustrating, but heck, I think I need to learn patience, too. :) Good luck in your job search! I'm sure a job will come for you at some point... I'm sure I'll get one somewhere down the road, too. :)

14. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 13, 2012

Oh wow. Those teachers sound extremely selfish. I know the teachers who request me to sub have been VERY encouraging and want me to find a FT position ASAP. They'd never hold me back like that. :unsure:

However I've heard from a few people that it can be hard to break into a district you sub in. Regardless of whether it's right or not (I don't think it is), administration/faculty can view you as "just the sub" and that mindset can hurt you in the job search. So frustrating. It's one of the main reasons why I expanded my job hunt and am now in the process of applying for positions up to 2 and a half hours away.

15. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

May 16, 2012

It is definately not like this in my district. However, right now about 1/3rd of our full time teachers do not have a position for next year. So for new teachers getting consistent sub work is an amazing feat. We have so many people on our sub list that many have given up and gone into other fields because they can't get enough sub work to pay their bills.

16. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

May 17, 2012

I am one of those people who had to stop subbing and went into another field. I love what I am doing now and learning a lot from it. I looked for over two years and had to consider my house, bills, and other things in this process. I worked three jobs trying to find a teaching job and got burnt out. You do what you have to do.

17. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 17, 2012

I hear ya. I'm currently a long-term sub at a school and I know for a fact that both staff and admin have been impressed with what I've done so far. When I asked the principal about possible openings, he simply stated, "Keep watching (the online state-wide job posting website)." So frustrating!

And I've applied to a couple of positions in that school and the district and have had no interviews.

18. SetterHugger85

SetterHugger85 Rookie

May 23, 2012

In Your Shoes...

I am job-searching too, and there isn't even that much out there in my area for what I am certified for. It is a little frustrating, as I did not plan on being a sub for a long time and am just wishing I could get a full time job. I have a disability too, so my job hunt radius is smaller, as I cannot drive.

I have a biology degree and a teacher certification. I am not closing any doors. I have been looking at jobs in both fields and seeing what happens. I find myself checking the mail and my emails every day for an acceptance of some sort. :(