Subbing to long-term/permanent

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rockangel312, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Nov 16, 2009

The entire reason I (as well as majority of the people on here) am subbing is to get my foot in the door. Do you guys make it a point to talk with principals right away or to give them your credentials? I was told to introduce myself to principals and give them my mini portfolio. However, like today it was the first time I subbed at a particular school and I chickened out. I really wish I did. Hopefully, I will sub there again soon. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you :)

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 16, 2009

I've never done that. I always assume they're too busy. In one case, the principal popped her head into my room right after lunch and the kids calmed down immediately. I went in and introduced myself and thanked her for that, but I've never dragged my portfolio with me on a sub job.

OTOH, I'm definitely hoping that by spring I'll have enough subbing hours at a few schools that I can legitimately ask for a letter of recommendation from a couple of principals.

I've also heard that if the morning goes well, you should seek out the principal at lunchtime and tell him/her to drop by so they can see you in action. I haven't really done that either....I guess I'm not really very good at the networking...

4. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

I want to get a letter of recommendation from a principal, since I subbed in her school many times. She was the one who offered me 2 LT jobs last year and I appreciate her for it. Though, I do not know if she will write me one though.

A teacher told me he would write me one for me, though he never did. I wonder why...

5. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Nov 16, 2009

Sometimes I worry if I'm not aggressive ( not really the right word to use) I won't ever find a job : /

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 16, 2009

myownwoman, I don't understand the problem with the letters. Yes, they're a bit of an imposition, and frankly kind of annoying, but someone else wrote them for the people we ask, so it seems to me to be a pay-it-forward kind of thing.

I asked both teachers who I student-taught for to write them for me. One did, but one didn't. It really didn't surprise me, give the experience I had in her class. She was so wrapped up in her personal drama, she had no time for anything else.

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 17, 2009

jen12 I know they take time to write, but I have been asking this teacher for months now (starting from the end of the last school year!) and he has been giving excuses of how busy he is. Well, how much busier can he be compared to the others teachers who wrote me one? It take one teacher about 2 weeks to write me one.

I just don't know...

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 17, 2009

That's my point...how hard can it be? I wonder if it's out of line to write them ourselves and just ask for a signature. I did that with one of the rec letters I needed to get into my credential program and the person who signed it for me was just glad not to have had to write the letter herself.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 17, 2009

jen12 the teacher DID ask me to write a draft and he will add to it. So I gave it to him and never heard anymore about it, besides his laundry list of excuses...

Asking for a signature is a good idea! That might work with him.

Thanks for the idea!