Subbing slump..

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MissWull, Dec 4, 2006.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 4, 2006

Ok maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking or make it seem. But I'm a new sub and for 2 weeks I had so many calls and so many jobs. But now it's been over 3 weeks since I've even gotten a call. The last time I subbed I had to leave because I got the stomach flu...which was not pretty. So I can't help but think maybe the sub callers at the district think I'm unreliable? I don't know. They seemed very understanding on the phone and I explained my situation of being new and hating to leave the school but I was feeling so sick I could barely walk. So I'm not really sure what to do...

In my district subs don't contact schools, everything goes through the district office. And there are 2 women that call subs to get jobs filled, every morning they call from 530-12...and they stressed how subs should not call asking when they will be called next for a job. But they always said if subs needed to contact them, to call after 9 because they are very busy...a couple times I figured I should just call and ask a general question and then maybe throw in the fact that I haven't been called in a while...but I haven't done that yet, or know if I should.

Maybe I'm over-reacting? I don't really know. I do know that I miss subbing and I would love to continue! I know it's only 3 weeks and to most people that might seem like not very long...but it seems like months to me!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2006

Right now is a slow time of year for subs. When I subbed I wouldn't get that many calls during this time of year. Teachers are busy gettong Christmas stuff around & what not. Maybe call your district again to let them know your back to feeling good & your sorry for not making it through the day!!!

I feel ya w/ stomach flu it's awful!!! I had that & reg flu about a month apart when I was in college!!

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2006

Come to Texas I need a sub next week and can't find one. hahaha Just joking you should get calls when teachers start wanting to go shopping for Christmas.

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 4, 2006

My area uses Aesop. So, if I keep checking, I can work every day. We moved here in mid-October and I have not had one day off.

Maybe this would help your situation - Get some business cards made with your name/contact information and take them around to the schools. Sometimes teachers get sick at school or get called to pick up their sick kids. The secretary would have your business card handy to call you first.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2006

Seems to me this is a VERY busy time. I'm scheduled four days this week alone. So far I have nine days scheduled for December and will probably be asked to do more. When I started subbing last year I planned to work only 1 or 2 days a week. I could easily sub 3 or 4 each and every week.

Major Hunt:)

7. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Dec 4, 2006

I have been booked solid all this month since the middle of last month. On the flip side, I have *one* day booked in January. I take it one week at a time.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2006

That's been my good luck lately:D

9. RSMY

RSMY Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

Subbing

what district are you working in?

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 4, 2006

When I subbed, I always found that the couple of weeks after breaks were very quiet for me. Teachers had gotten everything taken care of on the break. Many teachers just had a few days or more off for Thanksgiving (my school had the whole week) and may be waiting until the Christmas break to try to get other things done. I was out sick last Wednesday, but this definietly isn't a time of year I would want to be out if it could be avoided. Way too much to do!

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 7, 2006

Corona-Norco

Hmmmm, well ya know what...after my little complaint post I got a call this Tuesday and they asked me to sub later that morning and scheduled me for this Friday as well! So I guess I just have to be patient, although I'm really bad at that!

I thought this time of year it would be busy for subs, just because teachers would need time to do family oriented things or what not...perhaps vacations...but I guess it just varies.

I wish we had an automated call-in system to get a sub job, but unfortunately it goes by a list and these sub caller ladies at the district... :/

The business card idea is good, someone else gave me that idea in another thread. Although they said to leave it with the note after I sub a class, which I have started to do...so we'll see where that takes me! :thanks: for the replies though! :)

12. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Dec 7, 2006

When I subbed, I found the years where there was enough flu vaccine to go around were the years I worked the least. Say once or twice every 3 or 4 months. The first year I subbed, I was fortunate to be working everyday for months on end because that was a year where we had a terrible shortage of flu vaccine. Unfortunately, we don't have a shortage of flu vaccine this year so it's going to be slow and unless someone is taking personal days off, emergency days, or is sick with something other than the flu - don't expect to be called a whole lot.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2006

It has been very busy for supply teachers here-at least at my school. There hasn't been a day in the past 3 weeks when there have been fewer than 2 supplies, and some days there have been as many as 6 or 7. I was off sick today, and I know that there were at least 2 others away. Shortage of the flu shot has never been an issue here, but by this time of year, most teachers are suffering from varying degrees of exhaustion (we haven't had a break since early October) and we have a wicked virus bronchial virus going around, so many are taking time to recoup before the holidays.

14. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Dec 7, 2006

In my district, there have been a LOT of absences in the last week. I'm a TA, and I have had only one day since last Thursday that I've had my normal schedule. If there aren't enough subs, they pull the TAs to sub, and there are 4 of us at the high school. I've been in a science room, Spanish room, and English room. I feel like we're treated like subs who are very handy because we're already on campus. Oh, well. C'est la vie. That's the life of a TA, at least where I work.

15. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 7, 2007

January Subbing Slump?

Now I feel like I've gotten in this subbing slump!
    It's been one full week of school, and I have not gotten called once yet.

Sigh.

16. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Jan 12, 2007

Well 2 weeks went by in January and i haven't gotten called once here in NY anyone else experiencing this?..I'm beginning to think i did something wrong.

17. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

I felt the same way! But then I got called. So don't worry, I'm sure you will be called to sub soon!

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 12, 2007

My district discourages teachers to take off at the beginning or ending of grading periods. They do the same thing for days before holidays. Now, they don't tell teachers they can't take off. Those times are very crucial for teachers to be there in person.

I'm sure you'll get calls soon.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2007

I need a sub 3 times in the next 3 weeks--workshops and trainings have started again now that the first week back is done.

20. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Jan 12, 2007

Wait until Spring, and the end of the school year. You'll have more calls than you can handle. Teachers tend to wait until the end of the year to take their personal days. I was VERY busy at the end of last year!;)

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2007

Same here.... nothings wrong though. We just had a week vacation for the December holidays and most teachers generally do not take off so soon unless it's a real emergency. Feb/March should pick up.

22. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jan 13, 2007

I don't get it... I work everyday. I have two days left open this month, and three times this week I got calls in the morning I had to turn down because I was already booked. Maybe you guys want to come to FL? :)

23. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 13, 2007

What county? I live in county and I haven't been called barely at all!!:(

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2007

I'm on my way:D

25. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jan 14, 2007

Charlotte. The pay is not as good as the surrounding counties though. (You'd get a $4/hour raise if you love one county over in any direction.)

Maybe it's a upper grade thing? I work only MS and HS. Is it the elem. subs that have no work?

26. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Jan 14, 2007

Im glad i am not the only one not being called because it was making me nervous. I sub in elementary school. I wish i could just pack up and come to sub in fl :)

27. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 15, 2007

Ya, back in the slump! Then here's another holiday to make it seem even longer! Oh well...I guess it's nice for the kids and teachers...but not us anxious subs who can't wait for the call!

I would just like to get in as much subbing as possible this month...because with the way my schedule for work and school looks in february...it doesn't look like i'll have as many days to be available...and unfortunately......fridays might be my only open day...until the start of April at least...oh well...........ahhh.

28. SuperSubstitute

SuperSubstitute New Member

Jan 17, 2007

I began subbing in Upstate NY in early December and was called at least 3 times a week. Now I'm freaking out because I haven't been called since before Christmas Vacation.

I sub grades 1-6 and figured that the state ELA exams were probably partially to blame. Maybe teachers can't take off during those exams? But that only accounts for one week out of the past 2 1/2 weeks that I haven't gotten a call. I had turned them down a couple of times in december due to illness and got worried that they gave up on me.

What are some of the other notoriously slow times of the year for substitutes?

29. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jan 19, 2007

I'd be interested to know some of the other slow times of year for subs as well. I've heard January, and, of course, June. Any other times?

30. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 19, 2007

Around Spring Break things can get slow.

But, it depends on when the schools have their Spring Breaks scheduled. Last year I was on the sub list for several different school districts. They did not have their breaks all scheduled for the same week, so I kept busy at the different districts.

31. mathteacher1224

mathteacher1224 New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Sub needed

You should apply to sub at Hoggetowne Middle School in Alachua County. It is a small charter school, and we really need subs. I am looking for a sub for tomorrow!

32. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 13, 2007

My district did not call me for two weeks and I e-mailed them. They said everything was fine and to call them back in two weeks if I still have not been called.