Subbing question

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by dragonfly05, Aug 1, 2009.

1. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Hi there. If I can't get a teaching job by Fall, I plan to sub instead. I was told by a friend that there are certain districts where you can only turn down a certain number of jobs before your permit in that district becomes invalid. Has anyone else heard of this? I hadn't and wasn't sure where to find the info. on it.

Can anyone help? I'm looking to sub within Sacramento and Placer Counties in CA.

Thanks!

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Good question!
    For the fall if I don't secure a teaching job, I have to 12wk student teaching. I want to sign up to sub but I know I won't be available until Dec. and by then it may be too late to even sign up.
    I'm waiting with you to see what our AtoZ experts have to say....

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Dragonfly--I'll ask around here.

5. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Thank you! I appreciate it. The biggest district I was looking to apply to costs $59 for fingerprinting and I don't want to pay it right now if my permit may become ineligible. ( I don't currently live in the area, but we are planning to relocate hopefully within a couple months!)

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 1, 2009

I don't know anything at all about subbing in CA - but I would wonder how a district could take away a permit granted by the state. Again, I have NO idea how this works in CA, but it seems to grant a lot of power to districts.

7. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Aug 1, 2009

I'm sorry, I worded that incorrectly. They can't take away your permit...from what I heard, this particular district will take you off their calling system if you reject X amount of jobs. Does that make more sense? I'm just not sure where to find an answer to this. I'll probably have to call HR within the district. Mostly, I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this--if it was a common practice. I've never subbed before so I am out of the loop!

8. engineerteacher

engineerteacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

In the high school district where I plan to sub starting in a few weeks (Southern CA), I asked this question, and they said that they go through once every few months and drop anyone who hasn't taken any jobs during that time. However, they said all it would take is a phone call to HR explaining why you might not be working during that time (i.e. student teaching) and they would leave you on. I do suspect it is district-to-district how this works, though.

9. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I think a good way to handle it is to schedule what you want from the website. That way you can cherrypick what you want, and if you keep full up they won't call your phone anyhow.

10. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 3, 2009

In my district a sub must show at least (1) active work day every 6 months. If you don’t work you have to resubmit a drug test and update paperwork… No big deal or cost. I only sub about once per month since I actually have a job, but plan on becoming a teacher.

11. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 3, 2009

fraturmus- our system continues to call you even if you're on a job lol.... I've been standing in front of a class and receive a sub call on my cell phone?? I think it may be because I have a few schools that contact me directly and the system doesn’t know that I'm not available. That’s all I can figure anyway.

12. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Just find it interesting that you have to pay for the fingerprinting in some places. Wow...I subed in 2 districts and didn't have to pay anything ever....Just got paid when I worked.

ETA: And also still find it interesting that I have been working with children since I was 17 and have NEVER taken a drug test. That includes subbing in 2 districts and having a fulltime teaching position in another.

13. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

My district makes us pay for fingerprinting, but not until the year has already started. I don't actually know when we have to pay.

14. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 3, 2009

That is odd that you would be expected to pay for fingerprinting.

Livesformath- It’s standard in my district to be fingerprinted and drug tested when hired as a sub or teacher. I honestly couldn’t imagine a district not drug testing.

15. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I just looked it up -- I have to pay $52 for fingerprinting. That's slightly less than a day's work, but it's not too bad.

I never had to take a drug test as a sub last year. I wouldn't mind doing it, as long as I didn't have a hot dog on a poppy seed bun anytime close to the test! That Seinfeld episode has always freaked me out.

16. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I hear ya heymiss lol Sad you have to pay.

17. Mrs.Schwartz

Mrs.Schwartz Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I subbed for a few months during college and then was able to select "inactive" during the 14 weeks I was student teaching. That way I didn't get phone calls and have to turn anyone down. But left me on the list so I could continue after student teaching.

While I was subbing I got a call back from a school that wanted me to come back and sub again, they offered me 2 jobs on 2 different dates. Because I was a college student I was pretty inflexible and had to turn them down. They never called me again. I believe the secretary calling probably crossed me right of the list. I just had to do what I could at the time.

In Texas we have to pay to be fingerprinted, about $52, when we graduate. I have been allowed to use the receipt from that rather than pay the substitute people too.

Mrs.Schwartz

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  18. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Thanks everyone, for the replies!

Yeah, looks like every district I've contacted so far require fingerprints. Which is weird to me, as I have my fingerprints on file at state level for my credential. Oh well.

Unfortunately, life is really up in the air right now. My husband and I may be moving very soon, I may or may not get a teaching job for the Fall...but I want to be prepared and get in the system for subbing--just in case. But, right now I am not living where I would register (I don't want to register in two different places that are 2.5 hours apart). So, of course, I can't sub there yet! But, I could be there in as early as a month from now.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

I think it depends on the district.

20. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

A lot of people have told me to NOT answer the phone if I've already accepted a job for the day. We're not all on AESOP here. They can, apparently, stop using your services after three "no" answers, but not picking up the phone at all doesn't count in the same way. Haven't started, but I've heard this at a recent substitute orientation I attended through my county.

21. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

Here, they are saying that if you turn down 80% of offered jobs, then you are automatically moved to inactive. There are codes for turning down jobs though, so you can code it as already have a job, no transportation, etc.... You can also call in the night before and select to turn it off the next day if you already have a job. I have not used this yet, so I hope it works as advertised!

22. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

I was on AESOP as well and 3 no's turned you off.

23. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Aug 13, 2009

We don't have a fancy system here. The secretary just calls the names on her list. The more no's you give the more likely they are to stop calling you first. My SIL subbed one time and told them to take her off the list (she hated it, she is not a teacher) and they still call her when they are desperate.

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

In a letter I got from my local district, they stated that they will take me out of the subfinder if I am inactive for 6 months. Also, I paid $32 for fingerprinting this week and no drug test required. I'm in Southern California. Hope that helps a little. I'm sure it's at each district's discretion.

25. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Aug 20, 2009

Thank you all so much! I paid $44 to get fingerprinted in a district last week, and I've applied to 3 more which currently aren't processing sub apps. I figure, if I am in the system before we move--then I just won't answer my phone. Otherwise, I'll have to keep the 3 no's in mind. My concern is that I might get some calls in the morning and not be able to get to the school in time...and so I'd have to turn it down and it would count as a no. If there are in fact codes though, I guess this wouldn't be an issue! I'll just have to wait and see what the system is all about. :D

26. cynthia7759

cynthia7759 New Member

Aug 20, 2009

same here...they take us off lists if we do not take enough jobs in a specific period. BUT....if we call first, and tell them about periods we will be inactive (or set it up online if you use on online system like we do) then they will not remove us from our lists.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2009

I remember telling the caller that given the time I wouldn't be able to get to the school on time. A couple of times they had someone cover the class until I could get there. I think those were always the last minute emergency that a teacher called in late.