Subbing or Teaching Assistant?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Joelg1980, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 21, 2010

Hi all!

My name is Joel, and I am a recent college graduate with my teacher's degree (May 2009). I did not obtain a full time job before school started, and I have been subbing since August. I love it because I have met so many teachers and seen so many teaching styles-not to mention the vast variety of students I have met. It's just that there is something missing for me....

I need full time work!!! I resisted taking an assistant's job early on because more than a few teachers I spoke to said that districts don't like to hire assistants as teachers, especially if they are good, which I would hope to be.

The year is half over now, and I have not seen much of anything come open, save for some assistants' jobs. What do you all think-should I look for the full time work while losing the experiences of the classrooms, or should I stay subbing and have a full year's experience under my belt for next year?

Thanks-as a new teacher I don't exactly have a cohort of teachers for advice and support, and I really respect your opinions.

Joel

3. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jan 22, 2010

It all really depends on where your at. The school corporation I was with last year and the new corporation I teach in this year are known for hiring aides as teachers if they are certified and do a good job.

I also think it depends on what kind of person you are. If when you sub you are talking to principals and teacher and going back to the same schools over and over again then I'd say you are making connections and hopefully they will remember you (if your reminding them you are looking for a job)etc. However if you are just subbing wherever you can job and not making connections I'd say look for an aide job. It's easier to build relationships if you're in the same place.

This is a catch 22 though because it all depends where you aide and who with. My teacher I aided with was amazing and treated me as an equally and loved having another certified person in the room. A friend is aiding this year and she loves her teacher and is considering aiding again with her if she doesn't get a job next year. However another friend hated her aiding experience all she did was grade and make copies. But she did get a teaching job in the corporation the next year...

This probably doesn't help but yeah. What level are you certified in, that may make a difference? All the situations I have had above are in ElEd!:2cents:

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2010

In the schools where I work, good aides are respected by the teachers and can get excellent letters of recommendation.

Human resources in my district recommended subbing for the experience of leading classes, but letters of recommendation are harder to get (unless you work a long-term sub position).

So, since you have some subbing under your belt and on your resume, it might be beneficial to work as an aide for awhile in order to get a few letters of recommendation.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 22, 2010

T.A. ...no question!

Subs are not usually hired.

(I said USUALLY...before the few people who were hired from subbing pipe up.)

But again...

between the two... go for the T.A. position

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2010

I would go for the TA position because it is steady work. It would likely help you to get a foot into that school/district too. A steady job is a GOOD thing in today's economy...

7. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 23, 2010

Argh! I'm torn. I fully understand what you all are saying, but man I love leading a classroom, I really do. Wouldn't I lose that if I applied and accepted a TA job? Thanks again for all the great thoughts!

8. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jan 23, 2010

I would also look into state requirements for certification. In New York state, subbing counts for days towards our professional certification, but I was told any work done as a teaching aide/assistant does not. However, I know it varies by states. Just something to look into.

9. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 23, 2010

I am already a certified teacher, and because of that I am automatically certified to be an aide. Thanks for asking, though.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 23, 2010

I think being a good TA would get you a job faster than subbing around here.

11. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jan 23, 2010

I'm currently a TA and am treated as an equal in the classroom so the students know to listen/respect me as well so while I'm not "leading" the class; I am to be respected. When the teacher is out; I often teach the class while the sub kinda acts as the assistant since I know the students better and the teacher trusts me to do things similarly to the way she would.

I have gained a lot of experience from being a TA and am glad I did it - I, too, was debating between subbing and being a TA. Still not sure if this will lead me to a teacher position but I know I will get at least 3 excellent letters from this position - and I love my kids : )

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2010

I think it really depends on the district. I wish that I had tried to get a TA job (because I like knowing what I am doing every day), but figured with subbing I would hopefully be able to get a LTS assignment (which hasn't happened, yet). Look around and find out whether the districts in your area hire subs or TAs and if they hire TAs I would look for a position.

13. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 23, 2010

I guess the good thing is that I do have a LTS assignment coming up at the end of April for a friend of mine going on maternity leave. I think its kept me going because she asked me to do it for her as soon as she found out she was pregnant----actually the principal ran up (literally, she was out of breath) to ask me if I would take the job before the teacher had a chance to ask. Plus, this principal has emailed her staff on more than one occasion when I am in the building for them to ask if I could sub for them. This is why I would consider continuing to sub...the relationships are phenomenal.

I am def. going to ask around come Monday! Thanks Jessica.

14. greengables

greengables Rookie

Jan 23, 2010

Another aspect you might want to consider is that you get benefits as a TA but not as a sub (at least in my district).

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2010

That's great that you have a LTS assingment later in the year!

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2010

It sounds like you love subbing (of course, not in place of a full time position). The majority of advice has been to TA, but I can tell you're torn because you keep coming back with reasons to sub.

So ... if you can swing it financially, stay with what you love.

And, get a few letters of recommendation after you LTS the maternity leave. That's how I got mine. You'll be able to get one from the teacher you cover, perhaps one from a co-teacher, and maybe one from that principal who asked you to do the job.