subbing or preschool?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dragonfly05, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 24, 2010

Hi guys! I have been really torn lately. I am currently subbing in two districts, and on average I get 2 jobs per week. There is a high demand for sub jobs out here, so it's very competitive.

My DH and I are going to start trying to get pregnant in a few months, so if I don't get a full time teaching job by Fall...I will be looking into preschool.

I'm torn because I keep thinking at this point, I should go ahead and find a preschool job now, so I at least have steady income...but my concern is what happens if a job opens up for Fall (elementary)? I would feel so bad about leaving after just a few months. But again, the job market here is really bad, so not to be negative--but I don't think the chances of me getting a job as a brand new teacher are all that high for this upcoming school year. So, if I continue to sub with the hope that it will keep me available to take an open position come Fall, and nothing happens...then I could have been making steady income. Also, it will be harder for me to find a preschool job when I'm already pregnant.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Thanks so much for any input!! :)

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2010

If I were you, I'd continue to sub and start looking for a full time job right away. If you find one, you find one, and if you find a full time teaching job in the fall, then you do.

I would start looking now. Your dream job may be out there waiting for you and if you wait, you might miss it.

4. greengables

greengables Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

Do you have insurance? (I seem to be stuck on that theme lately). If you can get a full time job that offers insurance I'd go that route-esp. since you'll be wanting to get pregnant soon. Good luck.

5. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 24, 2010

Do you mean to start looking for a preschool job? My dream job would be elementary and I've been looking for a year! Actually, I look for jobs every single day. And, if I did stop subbing and take preschool right now, I would still look. I just worry that if I took a preschool job right now and an elementary job opened up, I would feel bad leaving the preschool after being there such a short amount of time. Does that make sense?

I have insurance through my husband's job, so that is of no concern for us. However, we could really use another full time income. Also, we have a down payment ready for a house, but can't buy one until I have a full time job.

Basically, I've held out for an elementary position since last May. But, how long do you hold out until you move on and get a different full time job?

Thanks so much! Anyone else?

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2010

It completely makes sense.

The way I figure it is that the turnover in some preschools is fairly high anyway, depending upon where you are. I'd start looking for one and if a full time teaching job comes up, then take it.

If they didn't like you at the preschool job, the wouldn't hesitate to get rid of you, so I wouldn't feel the need to stay if I found a different teaching job I desired more.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 25, 2010

It's just not prime time hiring season right now. Be patient (I know it's hard) but have that foot in the door if something opens up. Our subs are hired first over strangers' apps. A "known sub" who does a great job is not as high risk as someone unknown.

I'd keep subbing.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 25, 2010

I agree with Hoot Owl.

9. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 25, 2010

Thanks everyone. :) I have decided to really give subbing a chance, and try to get as many jobs as I can. If we get pregnant right away, and I need to find full time work..we will figure it out then. I'm just going to take it one day at a time.

Thank you! :D

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 25, 2010

I agree with Hoot Owl too. In my school subs who are 'known' to be good are always given preference over 'strangers' - you've got about two months or so before prime hiring season begins (Usually April/May). Good luck. :)

11. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 25, 2010

Thank you! Unfortunately, there are very few jobs right now. And, there are long lists of teachers who have been pink slipped...so they get priority. :( I was recommended by a teacher for a LTS position, but they are giving priority to the pink slipped teachers over the subs.

I will try and stay positive though!!