Subbing jobs less and less frequent

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by hbcaligirl1985, May 15, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 15, 2012

So I recently got hired on to be an English sub in the Newport-Mesa Unified School district in March. The day after I was added to the system I started getting subbing calls. Some assignments even lasted 3-4 days (which was awesome), but now the calls have suddenly stopped coming in.

I'm trying to help support my 80 year old grandparents with multiple health issues, so I can't help but feel a little paranoid/worried in regards to that. I haven't had a call since last Monday (the 7th).

IF there was an issue where a school was not happy with my conduct (I can't think of any reasons why they would be)--I would have been alerted by the district employee who handles subs, correct?

One of my friends who subs and Riverside has told me that it's probably due to the fact that it's getting to be towards the end of the year. Should I be worried? Am I overreacting? Any advice would helpful!

3. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

May 15, 2012

When is the last day? Are you signed up to sub just English or other stuff too. It could be the end of the year. From what I gather it is now frowned upon to take days off, and they are having some trouble getting subs. Yesterday I subbed 6th grade but was pulled to 8th grade PE which sucked. I love PE but not at that school.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 15, 2012

This is unfortunately the time of year when subbing jobs start to dry up. The school year is winding down.

5. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 15, 2012

Um June 15th. I have my Single Subject Credential in English--but I told the lady at the district that I'll do PE, Drama and Computers as well. I would not trust myself in History, Math or Science (especially math!). However--all my subbing jobs have been English or working as a Librarian. In *rare* instances I have filled one period of Economics or Special Education.

6. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

May 15, 2012

That's why. Your window for what you are willing to sub is too small. As a sub, you don't need to be an expert, you just need to be there. If I only subbed my area I would of only worked about 6 days all year. Most never guess that my degree in birth-6 year of age. I spend most of my days in jr. High.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 15, 2012

The school year is about to be over, so there won't be that many sub jobs, although I remember last year I worked every day. I think it was only because they were all requests, so those teachers asked me first, but i don't think there were that many jobs overall.
    Also you are limiting yourself. You would do just fine in any other subject. Give it a try. Worst case scenario, you sub in a history class one day, you hate it, but you get paid, and you don't have to do it again :)

8. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 15, 2012

Thanks Linguist92021! I just emailed the woman in charge of subbing and requested that she put me down as available to teach all subjects. Hopefully she is able to honor that request :) I'm also busy on EDJOIN applying for every teaching job in a 45 mile radius, so hopefully I get some calls for interviews :)

9. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 16, 2012

I emailed the lady who is in charge of subbing and asked her to put me down to sub for any subject at this point. She now has a new position in the school district so she said she fwded the email to the new woman in charge of subbing. At this point should I let it go? I obviously do not want to be a bother to anybody in the district--I'm sure they are just as swamped this time of year as teachers are. I just want to work, lol!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

Yup.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 16, 2012

The jobs may have been coming in so quickly due to professional development days being squeezed in at the end of the year or due to teachers trying to use personal days before the deadline. Don't stress. I doubt it was anything you did. Subbing ebbs and flows. That's just the way it works.

12. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 16, 2012

Thanks for the responses and advice everyone! :)

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 16, 2012

I doubt it's anything you've done wrong. It's testing season, and no one in their right mind wants to be out for that. We'd rather show up dead ;) Hopefully some older teachers with lots of sick time will use the days the last week of school so you can get some work!

14. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 16, 2012

I fully encourage teachers to use some sick days =D let me carry the burden for a day or two. Hee!

15. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 17, 2012

As others have said, it ebbs and flows. I went all of April without subbing (although last 2 weeks of April or so I had to renew my TB test). In May I've had 5 assignments so far... the same amount I've had from February-April.

I wouldn't worry about it!

16. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 18, 2012

I've gotten my first subbing gig since the 7th of May! Incidentally it was also the day I got the paperwork saying they definitely want me back as a sub next year (so I know I didn't do anything wrong now, yay!) but like everyone suggested I put my name down for almost everything--with the exception of Math and Science--no offense to those who teach it!

Tomorrow is my first day subbing out of my area of expertise and that will be in the Band and Vocal department. Still it looks to be a fun day and it's a paycheck so I cant complain =D

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 18, 2012

You should sign up for Math and Science as well. The math classes I have thought had mostly worksheets and reviews with answer keys. Trust me me, no math teacher will leave new material for you. Same with science, a lot of times we watched movies, and the few times i was able to teach new material I had the teacher edition book with answers and ample time to read everything. Just do it :)

18. bison

bison Habitué

May 18, 2012

I LOVE that district. I've done a lot of observations at some of the elementary schools. They pay well too! I don't work there, but I would love to eventually. Anyway, it's definitely the time of year. Sounds like you have it figured it out though! :)

19. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 18, 2012

No, you want to do math science also. They never let subs teach anything anyway. It'll be independant work or worksheets or videos. Don't be intimidated, you need the work!

What are your summer plans for income?

20. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 18, 2012

Agreed. When filling out my sub profile for 2012-2013, I was hesitant on putting myself down for K-8 with no restrictions, but then I figured why not? Jr. high subbing is always busy sheets and they just need a "warm body" in there. Of course the more you happen to know about the subject the better, but like others say you don't actually instruct. I've subbed only 3x for junior high, but all 3 times were akin to babysitting. Even moreso than when you sub for Kindergarten!

So don't be afraid. Also, $125 is $125 (or whatever your district pays per sub day)

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 18, 2012

Math and science classes can be FUN to sub, even if you're far from expert in the content. It's a challenge to pull those lessons from the back of your head to the front, but those formulas are there. Keep a running list of questions students have that stump you and add them to your notes to the teacher. That would probably be deeply appreciated by all parties.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

You should definitely do Math and Science classes!

23. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 18, 2012

I will go down to the district office after work and have them added to my list then. As for summer income...right now I am unsure. The Los Angeles Unified District has year round school...its far but its $$$ other than that....i have no idea. Its giving me a slight anxiety attack

24. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 18, 2012

Also even if I have a single subject credential can I actually sub elementary school?

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

Probably, but you might want to check with the sub office just to be sure.

My teaching license has "K-12 Substitute" on it. In my district, if you are selected for the sub pool, you can sub any grade, any subject.

26. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 18, 2012

Thank you Caesar :)

27. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 18, 2012

In 15 years, I have never been asked to actually teach Math or Science as a sub.
    It is always independent work out of the book or dittos.

It is boring, but it is a payday.

If you are at a large district and make yourself available for everything, you might work till the bitter end.

Yesterday on AESOP, I had my choice of 23 jobs.

Also, your credential type has nothing to do with the grade level or subjects offered as a sub.

I have a multiple subject credential, but 60-70% of the jobs offered to me are middle or high school.

28. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 18, 2012

I'm definitely putting my name down for _everything_ then. The Los Angeles Unified School District has school that's year round--I'm definitely putting my name in right now. I completed part of my student teaching there--so I have a few teachers in the district ready and willing to request only me for jobs. It would definitely be amazing income during the summer ($173 a day!) while I apply for full time positions.

:) Really and truly, thank you for all the advice everyone!

29. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 18, 2012

You should do year round school. Traditional schools probably won't have any sub jobs at the beginning of the school year, but for year round it's like any other time. Teachers will take off for vacation, sick day, training, so you can work.
    My school is year round, and it seems like there is never an end or a beginning, it's just one big circle of life :)

30. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 18, 2012

The only year round school district near me is the Los Angeles School District--their site said they currently aren't interviewing, but I'm putting in my app. Maybe a few of the people I know in the district can push it along for me lol!

Subs are allowed to have their name in more than one district, correct?

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 19, 2012

Yes. Just be careful not to sub in too many districts- if you turn down too many jobs, they'll stop calling.

32. bison

bison Habitué

May 19, 2012

Hbcaligirl, Irvine Unified also has a couple year-round elementary schools within it. No idea if they're taking subs right now.

33. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 19, 2012

thanks bison :)

giraffe326: I am thinking of 3 districts at the most, newport-mesa, huntington beach and LA unified

With those 3 I should be able to be subbing almost daily :)

34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 19, 2012

3 should be enough. But also keep in mind, if the district has an automated service, either voice or internet for scheduling subs, you dont get into trouble for turning them down. That would most likely happen if you have a person keep calling you and can't reach you or can't schedule you.

The K-12 district I'm still registered has a rule: if you don't accept at least 1 job in 4 months, they terminate you and won't reinstate you for a year. Other than that, it's ok. even though I've been in a long term s. position at the detention center since October, I didn't resign from the other place, because nothing is permanent. So they kept calling and calling and I never answered, I even blocked my schedule out for a few months.
    But then 5 months went by, and i got scared, so I took off from my position and went to sub there a couple of days so they can keep me in. I was lucky, I didn't get terminated, even though it was after 4 months. But this way I can sub next year, if I want to, and I am still on their list for long term sub.

35. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 20, 2012

Ya--I'll definitely try and manage them wisely :) Thanks for the advice!!!

36. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 21, 2012

Very excited to get my first 'long term' gig starting tomorrow! I sub during Star testing. Whee! All week long!

37. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 21, 2012

^ Congrats! LTS assignment sounds exciting. So far I've only had one day shots. Although I did have a Friday full day-Monday half day combo but that's the closest I've come to sniffing anything "long term" thus far in my early subbing career.

I did get called in for a Kindergarten assignment though for tomorrow :)

Ah, interesting. I guess my goal of getting on 5-7 districts as a sub this summer (if I don't land a full time position) isn't as wise as I initially thought.

38. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 21, 2012

I applaud you for having the patience for Kindergarten :) I adore little kids but I don't think I have the patience to deal with 30 of them lol!

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 22, 2012

I know you said you were in your 20s & to me, that's quite a lot of responsibility to financially & physically take care of 2 grandparents w/ health issues. Both of my parents are older than most people's my age, so my parents are the age of many people's grandparents, but my parents never expected me to financially & physically care for them. Physically, all they've needed me to do was drive them around at times to the doctor & even then, not most of the time. They're both in pretty good health, so that helps a lot.

If you don't mind my asking, where are your parents? For them to just leave the taking care of the grandparents by yourself is really something of them. I'm just kind of taken back by the situation you're in here.

I've actually been pretty blessed back when I used to sub. I'm picky about the sub jobs I do. I don't like doing any general ed classes: Grades K - 3 & especially do NOT like gr 4-8, which is what my district goes up to. I used to do K-3 & some P.E. & tried grades 4-6, at the beginning of my 10 yrs of subbing (never did gr 7 & 8), but I realized fast that I didn't like it. I work for a big district & thank God was kept pretty busy just doing RSP & Speech, which is all I really did the majority or at least last 1/2 of my subbing years. That was a small group type of class setting, so I loved that & there was much less chances of behavioral problems, which I dislike the most about working w/ kids.

I became an RSP teacher, but did it just for a year, then went back to school & am now an SLP (Speech-Language Pathologist) & am actually finishing my1st yr with that & grad school for that. I already know I'll be returning next yr, thank God!

Good luck to you w/ your grandparents, I hope you have a 2nd job (or even 3rd) lined up for the summer. :)

40. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 22, 2012

I never noticed her say that she was completely responsible for the care of her grandparents, just that she was helping them financially, and wanted to continue to do so. I have helped my grandmother financially before in small ways when I had money. For example, when she moved to Florida to be near my mom, I drove her and covered all of the travel and moving expenses. I also occasionally send her gas or grocery gift cards. We do the same thing for my husband's family: we have his mom and sister on our cell phone plan, pay for his granny's groceries sometimes, etc. I love treating my grandparents to dinner out! Sometimes the whole family wants, or even needs, to chip in to provide some comfort and peace for each other. In my family, we all help each other out when we can. Many families are like this. There's a big difference in helping someone and totally being in charge of them.

41. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 22, 2012

Ms. I...its a long story so I will give you the cliffnotes version:

-mom married deadbeat dad. Both liked to drink a lot. She got tired of being a punching bag left his ass and moved back with gma and gpa. By the time she met step daddy who is a great guy...I did NOT want to leave my grandparents. So they raised me...which was okay with my mom....she didnt want to give up drinking....but helped my gparents with stuff I needed.

-due to her excessive drinking she died when I was 16. The only one left to help is my uncle (moms bro) but HE wants to take gma away from me when gpa dies...which will happen over my dead body. Step dad has no legal obligations to help--and he has his own mess of family drama to deal with without me adding to it.

Her siblings live too far away...so yes. At 27 this is all on me. I dont even have time to go out and meet a nice man and date. I wouldnt be able to put HIM first...so that wouldn't be fair to him (Not to mention the fact that I dont know where Id meet a guy. I dont drink so bars are out of the question. Nor do I attend or have any plans to join a church.)

Right now Gpa is doing okayish, but with heart problems, kidney problems and 2 forms of incurable cancer st 80 years old....well I have to look at things realistically.

After hes gone its on me to take care of gma with alzhimers. We are going to try and find live in help and offer free room and board.

So...yes. Being able to have money to help them with the bills and having enough for myself for rare social stuff would be nice. At 27 they still want to take care of me and ensure I have everything I want. The least I can do is offer the same for them.