Subbing: is it wrong to be annoyed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2017

I'm subbing in elementary today and the day is going pretty well. There is an aide for a student that has come in a few times to get work and left. Every time she came in, the students were off task showing her a game or something. Then they all gave her a big group hug each time she came in. It's hard because I had just settled them down to work and I've had to resettle when she left...and I end up being the bad cop. Ugh

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. PetrMishikoff

PetrMishikoff Rookie

May 7, 2017

I subbed for awhile and I see this often. I think it's partially the team checking up on us! Unfortunately, you don't know what a new sub can do and the permanent staff have to stick around and clean up the issues.
    I usually just include them in the classroom, and be actively invite them to participate. They usually see that I have nothing to hide, and after couple of pokes, disappears.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 7, 2017

I agree that too many adults is annoying!! The other day an aide let students who finished their work finger knit. The teacher left activities for kids who finished their work as well...ugh

6. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 8, 2017

I had an aide actually form an alliance with the student he was assigned to be help. I would give the kid a task and the aide would just chit chat with the kid without actually doing his job and helping the kid work through the task. When I asked the kid to be on task, the aide and the kid would snigger at me behind my back and continue chit chatting! The aide never worked in my classroom again. Turns out he didn't work in any other teacher's classroom either because no one wanted him (I didn't influence any other teachers, the aide was just bad) and admin let him go.

I also had another aide (who was a qualified teacher) rile up the kids so much that I had to request he be removed. You know when you have a problem kid in class and when the kid is absent the class is fantastic. The aide was the problem! When he wasn't around, the kids were quiet and on task, but when the aide was in class, the kids were terrible.

7. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 8, 2017

I had a co-teacher who was really bad about riling up the class at inappropriate times, and could never see a problem in what he was doing, even when I approached him about it.

Me: "They were supposed to be doing independent reading."
    Him: "Yeah, and they got pretty loud."
    Me: "Right. I think it's best we not rile them up during quiet reading time."
    Him: "They sure do get loud."
    Me: "Yes... especially when you take a tube of wrapping paper and swing at them like a baseball bat, with accompanying sound effects."
    Him: "Yeah, that was pretty funny!"

Leaborb192 likes this.