Subbing in simmi valley and around in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mindful, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Mindful

Mindful Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

Hello,I'm moving to Los Angeles next month..I will be residing in Simi Valley/Agoura Hills/West lake Village/Thousands oaks I am just wondering if I could get help to start with..Like which school districts? how far they are from each other ?anything ???

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 22, 2016

I think those are outside of LAUSD - if you google "Simi Valley school district," etc, you'll find the names of the school districts you're dealing with.

Edjoin.org is where CA's education jobs are posted. If you're looking at specific districts, you probably want to go through the districts' websites HR pages first to see what is available. You could also do an Edjoin advanced search in LA county, but that's a huge area.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2016

Thousand Oaks is the Conejo Valley USD. Agoura/Westlake is Las Virgines. Both are very good districts.

5. Mindful

Mindful Rookie

Jul 23, 2016

Yes,I looked these districts and another one is Simi Valley school district ... My husband would be working in one of the branches of BOA in the above mentioned places ..We will be renting an apartment ..My main concern is how far are these districts? Like can I easily drive in 30 minutes to schools if I apply in more than 1 districts .. ?Are these places close to each other ?

I see that Las Virgines has not many schools in the list but other 2 districts have more schools than Las Virgrines ...

6. Mindful

Mindful Rookie

Jul 23, 2016

Is anyone subbing in these areas ? What would be the most suitable place out of these places to live sothat I can drive to schools in 30 minutes which are under different districts ? Or it's not even possible ??

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2016

All of these districts are within 30 minutes of each other. You might consider living in the northern part of TO, which would put you close to the 23 freeway. There's a large complex called the Knolls, I believe.

When are you moving? Most district offices will be closed until the first week of August. Are you credentialed in another state? If not, you'll have to pass the CBEST before you can sub.

Mindful likes this.
  8. Mindful

Mindful Rookie

Jul 24, 2016

Thank you so much for the apt suggestion...We will be there by 3rd week of August ..Yes , passed CBEST long back in 2007 ..We were in Bay Area that time then moved to Florida in 2009..Do I have to get the 30 days emergency substitute permit too .I have been subbing in Florida for last 7 Yrs ..My students here call me Mrs K .As they can't say my last name right..

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2016

I'm not sure about the sub permit, but they'll be able to tell you at the district office. Conejo and Las Virgines start 8/24, Simi 8/17.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2016

Your CBEST scores will still be valid. The 30-day substitute permit is the same thing as the emergency 30-day substitute permit: see http://www.ctc.ca.gov/help/substitute/day-to-day.html. Do be aware that districts can, and some suburban districts do, require that all substitutes be fully credentialed. A district's webpage about substituting should say what that district's requirements are.

11. danqatsi

danqatsi Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

Having lived close to the area I'd also certainly look eastward since a district a little further in that direction might be as easy or easier to get to if you account for traffic.