Subbing in High School--Emergency Lessons/Activities?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Neophyte, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Hi everyone. I'm a brand new High School substitute, and I'm trying to come up with emergency lesson plans/activities. Please share your fantastic ideas!! :angel: What do YOU do when the teacher hasn't left anything planned? Does it matter what the subject is?

Also, can anyone recommend good DVD's to show in class? I'm looking for videos that can be effectively shown for only about 20-30minutes. That way, at least 10-15 minutes can be reserved for class discussion. Thoughts? Thanks!!

3. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2006

Welcome Neophyte!
    I don't sub in high-school...I'm only certified K-6. In my experience, teachers almost always leave lesson plans-sometimes they are not meant for a sub and are difficult to follow, but at least you can figure them out.
    If you don't have any lesson plans, the best thing to do is to talk to another teacher. If there is a team teacher, they can usually show you almost exactly what you need to cover, and if not, they can guide you to someone who can lead you in the right direction.
    I don't know of any good videos- I suggest if you know that you are going to be subbing for, say, history, get to the school early and see if you can borrow a video on history from the school library-as long as the teacher won't mind you showing a video!
    Good luck!

4. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Sep 17, 2006

Graphing - have sets of data or get data from the students themselves (types of shoes, birthday months, etc) and have the students practice making different types of graphs and charts. Then discuss them - compare and contrast, make inferences.

There are lots of data charts/information on the internet if you need some help getting the creative juices going.

Good luck!

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 17, 2006

Jossey Bass Publications has a great book for substititutes in secondary school. It is called Substititute Survival Guide Grades 6-12. This book has lesson plans for most subject areas and you do not have to have a copy machine to use them. I always bring this book when I sub. Terry G.

6. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 17, 2006

There was only one time where the teacher didn't leave anyrthing for me. In that instance, I simply flipped open her plan book and went with whatever was written in the boxes for that day. Granted, it entailed a lot of reading so the 7th grade Science students all agreed, in each class, to do read a loud to make it go quicker. In the case of 2 or 3 of the classes, we finished 5 or 10 minutes early so I just let them talk amongst themselves as long as they lept it down.

7. 2000 Man

2000 Man New Member

Sep 19, 2006

The Discovery Store sells many wonderful videos of their Discovery Channel programs. I often show Mythbusters, which the kids love. The show takes some urban legend (i.e., pop rocks and soda causing your head to explode!) and recreates the event to prove or disprove it. The episodes run about 20 minutes per myth and the students are always excited to talk about the results.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2006

9. squarepusher

squarepusher Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

check out discovery channel sotre, they had a sale for $5 DVD a month ago, i spent like $80