Subbing in a Kindergarten class for the first time ever.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by JoStar, Feb 23, 2009.

1. JoStar

JoStar Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

Hello, folks!

I am subbing in a kindergarten class tomorrow, and again in a week or two...I'm a little nervous, because I have never been in a classroom with students younger than 14! Any tips or advice? I think it will be just fine, and probably very fun (and adorable!), but I was wondering if any one had any tips/strategies/filler activities they could suggest.

Thanks!

3. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

get lots of sleep - my phrase for them is kindergarbage. hehe - they are cute, but my oh my are they a handful! by all means I'm not that experienced, but I've found that praise is my number one tool for the younger kids. if they are a little chatty just start off with "wow look everyone, so and so is sitting nice and quietly, GREAT JOB! who else do i see that's sitting there with their hands folded, sitting quietly, etc" and everyone will want to follow and be the best they can be.

they are just so spacey...lol i honestly would give anyone an award who can handle kindergarten on a day to day basis. I'm curious though about what anyone else would suggest on ways to deal with kindergartners.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 23, 2009

By now, the kindergarteners are used to the daily routine. Since the sub won't know every little detail of the routine, this will upset some of these kiddos.

Just reassure them that even if things aren't exactly the same as when Mrs. RegularTeacher does it, it's OK!

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 23, 2009

Wear comfy shoes! Good Luck!

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 23, 2009

Have fun!

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2009

Expect a lot of hugs!

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2009

I was SO nervous before my first K class - I almost chickened out. But it was great! You may even have a TA which makes things really easy. Before the day starts pick out a few books from the class library. If things get hectic they will all gladly gather round to hear a story. I pick ones with lots of actions so I can be really animated when I read - they love that! They also really like Simon Says ... so you can do Simon Says ... be quiet like a mouse ... Simon Says sit in your spot ... etc.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 23, 2009

Kindergarten kids are so into the routine now that they will constantly say "that isn't how Ms.X does it" or something similar. Let them know that you haven't been in the room everyday, but Ms.X left really good notes and you are going to do the best you can and that means them not interrupting you by saying that isn't how we usually do it. Don't expect to sit down, wear comfortable shoes, know that not much takes them longer than 5-15 minutes. Time-fillers for this time of the year are counting to 100 by 1s, 5s, 10s, saying ABCs or singing them, reading words around the classroom (especially the word wall and/or color words).

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 23, 2009

My time filler today with my own kindergarten class was I spy, but I did it I spy something that begins with B.....They loved it. If you need something try that

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2009

I've never taught this age group therefore I would take Kinderkids with me....:p

Major...:)

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 24, 2009

Sing songs with them, they really like that!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2009

Let us know how it goes!

14. JoStar

JoStar Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

Well, it did go fairly well, but i think it's suffice to say that Kindergarten, or very early years is not for me lol. I. was. exhausted. lol. And while the kids were adorable and sweet, I found a hard time getting their attention, as well as some of them who didn't want to work, just wouldn't, no matter what I did. I did a lot of "so-and-so is working so hard, everybody!" or "I see someone in pink who is sitting very quietly and nicely!" But nothing really seemed to help...the school is in a very small closed community so I think that might just be their way there...I don't know, but it was frustrating lol.

I'm subbing a different Kindergarten class in March, hopefully it goes better!

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 25, 2009

Aw JoStar, no worries your subbing experience will get better and easier with more practice.

All the best!

16. JoStar

JoStar Rookie

Feb 26, 2009

Thanks, myownwoman :) It was only my second subbing job, so yeah, with time I am sure I will improve! I sure learned a lot that day!

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2009

I forgot to tell you a magic phrase that works if the students have been exposed to it ... "Criss Cross Applesauce!" They will all sit like little angels in their spots with their legs crossed and their hands folded. Try this with your K class in March.

18. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Feb 28, 2009

Kindergarten is fun but a lot of work.....I come home so tired at the end of the day! :)

Praise is the number one thing with this age if some are not on track just praise students around them that are.....

Everyone is right too about them saying "this isnt the way mrs. so and so does it" I get that all day when I sub kindergarten.....I just try to tell them thats okay you have a different teacher today! :)

19. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

The first time I was in kindergarten was when my son's teacher requested parent volunteers to assist during class time. That was also the last time in was in kindergarten.

Chaos! The kids were all over the place. Touching, grabbing, crying, whining, arguing, running noses...

I knew many of the kids since they lived in my neighborhood, yet it was impossible to believe that I could have control of the class.

Kindergarten teachers get a huge dose of respect from me.

20. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

When I subbed K, I could usually spot the difficult ones within the first 90 seconds. Praising those around them that are behaving is a good strategy.

I have also found what really works with the really difficult ones is to praise them even when they make a slight effort to behave. I praise them and make a huge deal out of it if I catch them, even for a split second, on task. Granted, they may be on their belly flailing their legs 20 seconds later, but I have found that if I keep recognizing them and pointing them out to the rest of the class when they are on task, the amount of time they are able to stay on task gradually lengthens until by the end of the day, they are behaving like a little angel.

21. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 3, 2009

Looking for the good in all students is important! Always praise instead of picking out the bad! Good point TampaTeacher!

22. mbutler

mbutler New Member

Oct 5, 2010

A few tips

When I am trying to get attention from kindergarteners (and 1st and 2nd graders) I ask them to make a fish face. You can't talk with fish lips! This makes them smile, while helping quiet a classroom.

The biggest thing to remember with little ones is to not stress. They sense it, and become stressed as well. I suggest spending some time in classrooms WITH teachers. They would love the help, and it would give you some hands on ideas.

23. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2010

You asked the wrong question when I comes to me seeing the thread hhahaha!! I mean I going to be leangthy in this reply...I LOVE LOVE kinder....I am in school with a child-development degree I can teach preschool - kinder so I have a love for the little ones!! I have subbed many times in the rooms. The praise them suggested up above works wonders. Use there chart. Some teachers have a smiley face thing and move a clip from green,yellow,red if behavior gets bad or a stick in the chart something like that. All I have to say is so and so do you me to move your clip. Oh, and during transitions you could do stuff like saying everyone with red shirt go line up, everyone with a pony tail go line up etc. they like it and it helps them pay attention. Another I say sometimes is everyone lets see who can tiptoe the quietest to the line, bathroom,lunchroom etc. Then maybe say oh, mary you tiptoed the quietest I am leaving a happy note for ms. smith. Also, a game I play while waiting for busses or car or w/e way they go home to be called over intercome is I play the quiet game. It is really basic but they love it (good game for k-2, but past that its stupid to them). Say we are going to play the quiet game. Say whoever is sitting quiet,packed up, and ready to go home will get to be my helper.(love being helper, but be careful they don't try to teach class and take over haha). Then whisper for them to pick someone quiet, packed up and ready to go home, etc. then from there they take over. You only have to pick the 1st. Remind them that if they are not quiet they don't get picked cuz' some will just pick friends and remind them to pick someone who has not had a turn!!! Hope some of this helps. If you have any down time during schedule let them sit in front of classroom while you read a story. Any kinder. teacher has told me thats ok both in lessons left or in person that If I needed a time filler in between that I could do that!!