Subbing in 5th Grade Question

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by filochica, Apr 18, 2009.

1. filochica

filochica Rookie

Apr 18, 2009

I've subbed many times now but only in K-3 classes (it just worked out that way) but I'm going to a 5th grade class in a few days and was wondering how to motivate this age group. With the younger kids, I use stickers as an incentive and I also draw a gumball machine on the board which they have to fill up (they earn "gumballs" by listening quietly, following directions, etc.). I thought of giving free time but the schedule doesn't always allow for that and I hate to promise something and not carry through. I also thought about buying erasers or pencils but I don't feel like I should have to spend my money on that...what does everyone think? What's worked for you in fifth grade? Thanks in advance!

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

I use Power Teaching's Scoreboard system with my fifth graders.
    They love it. They earn smileys which is extra credit on their next math test.

I also give stickers for everyone who makes As or Bs on their homework assignments and tests and twenty stickers on their sticker sheet equals a homework pass. They love that too.

Not sure if either of those can work while subbing, but that's what my fifth graders respond to.

4. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

I've subbed 5th grade. With their assignment, you can say it can be group work and maybe let them talk. However, if it gets to loud, they're going to have to do the work on their own. They'll also ask you to help them when they can't get an answer (which is how it works with all grade levels).

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 18, 2009

5th graders are very social. These things are meaningful to my class: working with a partner, silent reading time, word search puzzles, small candies, 5 minutes free time. Believe me, they aren't such 'big' kids.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

If it gets loud - they all like the "quiet game". See if they can stay completely quiet for 15sec, then 30, then 60, etc. It's a good way to bring the energy down.

7. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 18, 2009

Madlibs!! I too usually sub in the preK and early elementary grades but was called for 5th grade a couple weeks ago. I printed some mad libs and they LOVED them. Riddles, and other fun things too.

You can google mad libs and you can get some free ones online.
    I did the happy/sad points for them too. I just told them if there are more happy than sad marks their teacher gets a good note about their behavior if there are more sad, then they would get a sad note to the teacher.

Just remember to keep them in check. They do like to chat. LOL.