Subbing HS kids and their mouth

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Summersoff, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Apr 30, 2008

Now I know why i choose Middle School kids to teach. I hope this isnt a trend where you live, and btw, this is a suburban school im talking about here...
    My ears need a few hours to heal after every time i teach in the high school. The amount of cuss words and sexually explicit conversations and blatant disrespect for my authority is nausiating.
    It doesnt take longer than 5 minutes into 1st period that i hear "F" this and "F" that person and she's a "B" I "F" ing hate her, etc.... Its really tiring me out!
    I almost want to decline any subbing position at the HS anymore. Do you witness this at your HS? How or what do you do?
    Maybe it doesn't bother you, but I see these kids as not old enough to be using that language, and further more, in front of me. I know i was immature at one time and spoke like that, but it was never in front of teachers!
    Empathy is lost in the shame of it all. In my opinion, its the principals fault for letting this happen.
    OK!!! Sorry for venting but I had to get that out. ;)

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 30, 2008

Oh, those high school students can have some filthy mouths! I am very particular about the schools where I sub. If I have repeated problems, I don't go back. So, the high schools where I sub have pretty good kids.

If I hear inappropriate language, I remind the student that it is unacceptable at school. If the behavior continues, there is a consequence. If the school doesn't back me up on that, that school is "off my list" and I don't deal with them any more.

4. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Apr 30, 2008

Many of those kids have been using that language since fifth or sixth grade and know how to use it to rouse a sub! I walk into a MS or HS class room knowing I have 3 minutes or less to establish class room control. If I don't, I might as well stayed home.

I'm a bit firmer than GlendaLL. I do tend to demand that students do as they should and, in at least one case involving swearing, I had five students in the VP's office before the class was 5 minutes old. The rest of that period was very pleasant for the other students and myself.

Be firm, stand your ground and let the administrators handle the really disruptive kids.

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 30, 2008

I am as firm as I need to be - because I choose to sub in schools where there are not extreme behavior problems.

6. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 1, 2008

Yeah a lot of these kids just dont know when to stop. The sexually explicit stuff is what bothers me the most. The worst part is..it mainly comes from female students. Very sad.

7. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

May 2, 2008

yep, yep, very true.

8. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

May 2, 2008

Useless! When i was subbing in the HS life fitness (weigth lifting) class, i had a boy actually leave out the back door and come in with 3 large pizza hut pizzas for the class! (Now i know why he was collecting $1 bills from the kids at the start of class.)
    Now, i cant tell whether or not he left school grounds or if he picked it up in the parking lot (he said he picked it up in the parking lot just outside from a "friend"), but needless to say, regardless of how he acquired the pizzas, i wrote him up instantly. He lied about his name when i asked him what it was and he didnt go to the principal's office when I sent him---I know bc I checked during my lunch break. So i wrote him up again.
    Next in the same class, a girl asked if she could go to the bathroom, and i told her "No." The next minute in the corner of my eye i see her slip out the door and she doesnt return for about 15 minutes.
    This sort of behavior would have gotten me at least a Saturday if not an In-School suspension in HS (i'm 27).
    THEN THE BEST PART! The next day i'm back in the same HS and i recognize some of the kids that was in that class. I asked them what punishment they received?

9. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 2, 2008

:lol: While that sucks...I'm sure that kid was the "cool kid" for the day. I must say thats pretty slick.

10. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

May 2, 2008

Useless! When i was subbing in the HS life fitness (weight lifting) class, i had a boy actually leave out the back door and come in with 3 large pizza hut pizzas for the class! (Now i know why he was collecting $1 bills from the kids at the start of class.)
    Now, i cant tell whether or not he left school grounds or if he picked it up in the parking lot (he said he picked it up in the parking lot just outside from a "friend"), but needless to say, regardless of how he acquired the pizzas, i wrote him up instantly. He lied about his name when i asked him what it was and he didnt go to the principal's office when I sent him---I know bc I checked during my lunch break. So i wrote him up again.
    Next in the same class, a girl asked if she could go to the bathroom, and i told her "No." The next minute in the corner of my eye i see her slip out the door and she doesnt return for about 15 minutes.
    This sort of behavior would have gotten me at least a Saturday if not an In-School suspension in HS (i'm 27).
    THEN THE BEST PART! The next day i'm back in the same HS and i recognized some of the kids that was in that class. I asked them what punishment the two received? 'Nothin,' they replied. NOTHING? what do these kids have to do to get a detention in this place...
    It's nice to know the principals will back a sub up. I cant wait to see what they'll NOT get for screwing around next time in class? :whistle::whistle::whistle::down::down::down:
    Note: This is a suburban school

11. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

May 2, 2008

You may have misunderstood me - let Admin handle them. Let it go, don't check to see what happened - let Admin deal with it. Eventually Admin will do something, either stop calling you to sub or actually do something to the students to keep you from filling up their office.