Subbing for my 2nd year

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Shylac, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

Hi, i have subbed last year in various schools in NY, i got a letter from the Department of Education stating that the schools i have worked at will continue to use the list of subs again for the 2006-2007 school year. I am not sure if i should also go to the schools to tell them that i am available to sub again this year even though i received this letter. What do most of you do?

3. hopeful90

hopeful90 Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

Shylac,
    I also have subbed many times last year in Staten Island but I didn't get the letter that you got. Can you tell me something more about it. now I'm worried.

4. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

Hi hopeful90, i got the letter from the department of education it said that the schools i have worked at have a list that they used to call me in the 2005-2006 school year, and they will continue to use this list in the 2006-2007 school year and that they anticipate the need for more per diem subs for the 2006-2007 school year. It also said that my name will be placed on a list to work in the 2006-2007 school year in different schools inside my region, it also told me my status as a sub. I recieved this letter in June. Have you subbed for a full year? I started to sub in October of last year. Mabye call the dept of ed, im sure you are on the same list i am but to make sure. My letter was signed by michelle fratti of region 7, there isnt a phone number on my paper though. I hope this helps you

5. hopeful90

hopeful90 Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

Hi Shylac,
    I only started subbing in Feb 2006 after I graduated. I'll call the Dept of Ed. Now I'm worried because I subbed very often last year and hope I get called this year.

I read that you're in SI.So am I.Where have you been subbing.??

6. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 31, 2006

Here in Northeastern IL, the districts and schools usually send out a re-newal form that asks us to mark whether or not we will be returning as a Substitute. Then, the form gets mailed back to the district or school so that the Sub Caller knows whether or not to keep us on the list of available Substitute Teachers.

I assume if you got a letter saying ecah school kept you on then there's nothing to worry about.

7. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

thanks elizabeth! I figured the letter was good enough that i am still on the subbing list, but i always have some sort of doubt. I would've felt weird going into the schools telling them i am still available, im glad that where you live you have the same kind of letter as i got.

hi hopeful90, i sub basically only the south shore only i have not yet ventured to the north shore, i may try one school over there this year because i hear you get called there more often. I live on the south shore and i still go to college so it is easier for me to get back and forth on time. Where do you usually sub? I don't really get called too often so i am sure if i am still on the list you are as well. Let me know how it turns out.

8. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 31, 2006

Shylac, if you have any doubts just pick up the phone and call the school or Sub Caller and just verify that you are indeed still on ther list.