Subbing for high school?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by lilune, Feb 21, 2011.

1. lilune

lilune Rookie

Feb 21, 2011

My experience is soley with elementary (except for 1 day of middle school subbing) and I thought I'd add high school to my list of schools to sub for. I wanted to get any thoughts on high school? I'm very curious about it, but my friend's high school son just commented to her that he doesn't understand why everyone in class is so mean to subs. That made me think twice.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 21, 2011

It's a different mind set and a totally different schedule. I don't think there's a better or worse between the two. Personally, I usually avoided elementary school subbing, but that's due to my personal discomfort with younger children. Subbing in middle and high school was a daily adventure for me when I was still in a more traditional setting.

4. waffles

waffles Companion

Feb 21, 2011

Just go in there, make sure they do the work, make sure they're allowing others to do the work, and don't try to be some draconian overlord.

5. azure

azure Companion

Feb 21, 2011

I sub all three levels, elem, middle, and high. You friend's high school son is right. . . they are very mean to subs where I am. They would like it if you just sat there and let them do whatever. . . which would include sleeping, texting, talking, walking around, etc. When you try to tell them they can't do those things and they have work to do, they talk back with statements like, "Who do you think you are? You da sub!"

6. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Feb 21, 2011

I teach in an urban high school and, unfortunately, this is the attitude that most of our students receive from their subs. The sub hands out an assignment, vaguely issues a direction, then sits down to read or generally do nothing important for the remainder of the period.

The students actually tend to respond extremely well to subs who actually teach a lesson! At first, they are apprehensive and test boundaries as they do with anyone unfamiliar, but once you've been subbing in a class regularly, the students much prefer a teacher over someone who just keeps a chair warm in the room.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 21, 2011

I've never subbed for high school, mostly because my experiences in middle school consist of a day full of battles, and I'm not willing to face even bigger, older students with bad attitudes.

OTOH, I know that some teachers have no problem with HS and say that as long as you show them who is boss, they do what they're supposed to do. I'm not sure if I believe that or not.

8. lilune

lilune Rookie

Feb 25, 2011

If I do it, I'll let you know what happens.

9. subteacher38

subteacher38 Rookie

Mar 5, 2011

I have been subbing for a few months now and I have only worked in elementry. I have given my info to elementry, middle and k-8 schools, but so far the only ones calling are elementry. I was too unsure about highschool when first starting so I left them out for now. I figured I would get some experience first and see how the other schools went first. Well, now I am thinking about highschool!! The elementry classes can be stressfull. It seems like it's more getting students to behave than teaching. I thought most teachers would just leave busy work for their sub plans, but where I have been working they are leaving lessons for me to teach. I don't mind at all, but it's not easy to teach when every class has students that don't behave and constantly disrupt the class! I have found that there are so many ESE students in the classes and it can be very stressfull dealing with them. They take up so much of my time because they are constantly getting out of thier seats and disrupting! I was told by my sub locator that highschool can be easy because they don't need so much attention. So now I think I will try it. I have two kids in highschool anyway so if I can deal with them I should be able to handle it.

10. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

I teach all levels, and much prefer K-6. The exception is high school special ed, which I do enjoy.
    My biggest complaint with high school is that it is extremely boring and the day drags on..and on.. and on...

The teachers do not expect subs to be familiar with their specified subjects, and in my case, they are right.
    Lesson plans consist mostly of independent work. Therefore, you baby sit and monitor behavior for six one hour periods.
    I find myself constanly watching the clock for the period to end while circulating throughout the class.
    In K-6, I actually get to teach and engage the students. It is more rewarding and time seems to pass more quickly.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 8, 2011

Sometimes I email the teacher I sub for ahead of time. Their email can be found on the school website, most of the time. Of course this only works if the request is put in at least a couple of days beforehand. When I email them I introduce myself, let them know that I have a credential (in English) and I am very comfortable following the regular curriculum in any subject. I try not to sound cocky, just helpful. I do this especially if I am there for 2 days. So far I only had 2 teachers leaving me with 'filler" activities - those days are boring. The other teachers, even without emailing them usually leave either review of the material or continuing it. I actually haven't subbed high school yet, but if I get there, I will probably email each teacher, if possible, after reading these posts :))

I think teachers feel more comfortable if they have a personal connection with the sub - which is hard. Before my first time subbing for first grade, I had the day off the day before. I went to volunteer for half of the day in the same classroom, because i never subbed elementary before that and I felt that I had no idea how it works. The teacher really liked the fact that she and the students got to know me, and she was comfortable leaving everything she was going to teach.

I think it's best for everyone if the teacher leaves things that need to be taught. The students are most likely to be engaged which also cuts down on behavior problems. If the sub is able to handle it, great - the teacher may have to review the lesson, but she did not loose a whole day. If for some reason the sub cannot carry out the plans, he/she will resort to other things, which is still not anything worse than if the teacher didn't leave anything meaningful.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 10, 2011

I'll never sub at the HS level in a million years & don't plan to. Maybe if it were a small group setting (no more than 5 kids) for a short period of time (30-60 min). I help out the SLPs (speech-language pathologists) in which I work w/ small grps for no more than 30 minutes. I do work w/ middle schoolers sometimes & it's no problem. They're easier than elem kids in the small group for a very short time capacity. I'd do that all 5 days a week if I could!

Good luck!

13. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 5, 2011

Actually, think thrice.

14. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 6, 2011

It has been my experience that when subbing in high school, assignments in elective or non-traditional classes are generally less stressful and more fun than subbing in the core classes.

This is largely because the students enjoy these classes more and are therefore more likely to be focused.

These classes include, business, computers, arts, drama, music, drafting, foreign language, etc.

I also like Special Ed because you nearly always have the support of an aide, and the students are generally good natured.

The core classes of Math, Science, Language Arts, and Social Science are less desirable.