Subbing "equipment"

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MissWull, Nov 8, 2006.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 8, 2006

I am a new sub but I have yet to accept a job because I have been preoccupied with prior committments. But finally I am available and trying to prepare.

One question I have is...what materials do you take with you when you go to sub a class?

I have tons of sponge activity print-outs, and ideas...so I'd assume I'd take the corresponding grade level activity with me, for the grade I was going to sub that day. Obviously this stuff won't fit in my purse, so what type of carrying case do you guys use?

I don't want to show up with nothing, and I also don't want to show up with too much! Little help :p

3. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

Hi, i have been subbing for a year now and some things i find useful are brain quest cards in every grade they are wonderful and i carry prizes to whomever wins the whole game, stickers for the lil kids, pencils, erasers, puzzle games, and prizes according to the season etc. I constantly give prizes out all day for the best table of the day, student, etc. I bring alot of books mainly books i know will catch the students attention such as pop out books. I carry word searches and worksheets in case of extra time and i also have a folder with reproductables and different lesson plan ideas in case i need to fill in time. As i write it it sounds like alot, but i would rather have more than enough things. I carry all of this in a canvas tote and some days it feels like its 100 pounds!

4. WVsub

WVsub Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

I have a tote bag that I carry with me and the contents change according to the grade I teach. I always carry pencils(yes I have been in classrooms where there was not a pencil to be found anywhere near the teacher's desk), post-it notes and a permanent marker(for making nametags for K). I have an expandible folder with reproducables.... word searches, color sheets, worksheets, hidden pictures, riddles, story starters, etc. A few for each grade. I carry a small, soft ball to play "silent ball" with at the end of the day if there is extra time. I also have one that lights up with flashing lights that I got at the Dollar Tree. The kids love to turn out the lights and play "Silent ball" with it. I usually have a treat bag or a bag of suckers for a reward at the end of the day. If I'm teaching K or 1st I might pack one of my daughter's old books to read if there is extra time.

My bag was a lifesaver several times last year when I went in and had no plans left for my by the teacher.

Toni

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 9, 2006

Hmmmm ok, yes I do have several worksheets in manila folders for various grades. I also have a canvas tote from my work, so that will work! I guess until I get more practice I'll see what is most practical and useful for me, but thank you guys for your suggestions!

I have 2 subbing assignments next week! So I need to prepare this weekend...I'm loving this tho! :) Where do you guys get most of these fun worksheets? Besides this wonderful site of course, because I've gotten 98% of my worksheets from here!

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 9, 2006

www.edhelper.com and www.enchantedlearning.com are both really good too.

7. ryman

ryman Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

When I started subbing I lugged around many copies of reproducibles for varied age groups. I never used them. There's always a lesson plan where I teach and it keeps me busy.

I always have with me: Pencils, Pens, Band-Aids, a Calculator, my iPod and cell phone, and a magazine in case of a prep period.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2006

Dont forget a water bottle.......... This is one of the most important items I bring........

9. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

My mouth.

I used to bring a notebook with a reference manual and notebook paper along with a pen, but I lost the notebook and just haven't taken the time to gather new materials.

10. Btownsub

Btownsub Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

Any advice for High School level? I always bring a water bottle, magazine or book for prep period, pencil, whiteboard marker, and a couple of word games that I can reproduce on an overhead or white board. Someone (a full time teacher that I subbed for) once told me that she always carried a clean movie with nothing objectionable in it just in case, but knowing that there are laws against showing movies, that makes me nervous. (Although I've shown Napoleon Dynamite, Pirates of the Carribbean, and Chicken Little in classes because that was what was left for me by the regular teacher as the lesson plan...)

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 20, 2006

Ok so I finally starting subbing...have had 3 jobs and I have yet to use ANY of my sponge activities. Like someone previously posted...I am too pre-occupied (which is a good thing) with the lesson plan, that there just isn't any time left for a fun activity. But I keep thinking...the one time I don't bring my supplies...is when I'll probably have a chance to use them!

But sheesh...my bag is HEAVY! I really don't like carrying that thing around...it's so awkward...ah well, I'll just use my judgement I guess!