Subbing at Montessori

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by love2help, Nov 6, 2010.

1. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

I work for a Public School District and it seems like one of the Schools is a Montessori school. I am getting the sense that the Principal really doesn't care too much for me because she is putting me into classes to observe how it's done. Maybe it's all in my head but I really am afraid that the principal is going to take away the two week assignment I was given only after one-week. The principal told me I act like a Grandpa and the kids get too excitable around me. I am concerned that this might look negatively about me and affect my status, my job. I'm always in fear of losing my job. I wish I didn't care so much.

3. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

Does anybody really believe in this Montessori b.s. in an article by wikipedia it states that the Montessori school first developed by Maria Montessori really can not be replicated. In essence, I think principals and staff use the Montessori name for their own benefit to sell others on coming to their particular school. I find that the Monessori Approach may be a nice concept and not necessarily something to buy into. Wikipedia mentioned that once Maria Montessori's personality was removed that the school's wouldn't necessarily be "Montessori" anymore.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

It SEEMS like the school is Montessori or is it a Montessori based school? If the principal is putting you into other classes to observe, s/he cares about you learning how to do teach within their framework/philosophy...

Wikipedia is not the most reliable source of information. You may want to seek more professional sources...

Yes, many professional educators teach at Montessori schools, following Montessori techniques. It may not be a fit with your particular philosophy of education, but it appeals to many families and educators. No one approach is right for all.

A quick search of your post history finds that you not only have complained about this 'Montessori bs', but have asked 'how is this bs happening', given advice that first grade parents should be made to feel 'F.U.D. fear, uncertainty and doubt', and questioned PBIS as 'effin nonsense'...I wonder if your current principal is picking up on some of this negativity.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2010

Love2help, I totally believe in the Montessori philosophy. I live by it and have taught it for 24 years. There truly can be a Montessori school without Maria herself. Training programs are wonderful and most of them prepare people to be great teachers.

The principal has probably asked you to observe so that you can get a feel for what the atmosphere should be in a Montessori classrooom. It's very common.

Based on your comments, I am really surprised the principal would have let you sub at that school at all. If you were interested in subbing in my school, you'd have to not only observe, you'd have to go through a substitute orientation so that you knew exactly what was expected of you in our environments.

Whether you need the money or not, it sounds like you're not a good fit for that school. It's not fair to the children if you come in there for a few weeks and have different expectations of them than their regular teacher and are unfamiliar with the philosophy. You might be better suited at non-montessori schools.

6. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

I am adaptable to whatever enviroment I go into. I will learn.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2010

I"m glad you can learn, but you also must change your attitude in order for it to work. Remember, these parents have chosen this philosophy for their children, and it's not your place to judge that philosophy and whether it works for children. You must either support it or not, and if not, then don't work there. Plain and simple.

If you don't change your attitude, it will show, and the children are the ones that will suffer because of it.

8. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 7, 2010

How exactly should my attitude be? What should I keep in mind while I am subbing? I guess......I have been reading some more on Maria Montessori's Philosophy and have learned the paradoxical problems it posses with traditional education. It's very interesting to say the least.

Perhaps I will conform and add some montessori training to my special education license that I will be recieving in two years.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2010

I'd avoid calling the philosophy 'BS'.

10. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 8, 2010

ok