Subbing around vs. Long Term Sub.. help!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 1, 2005

I'm in need of some new teacher advice...

I'm graduating in a couple weeks (woohoo!) and I was planning on subbing right away in order to get my name out there in a few different districts that I am interested in. This was my plan, and as I was preparing for the adventures of subbing I got offered a long term sub position in a kindergarten classroom right next door to my mentor teacher's second grade classroom. She is going to be on maternity leave for three months, so that would not leave me much time before or after to sub in the other districts I am interested in. I like the school where I am at, and there are some amazing things about the district, but I still think that couple other districts out there might be a better fit for me. However, this long term sub position would be great because I'd be familiar with the school and staff, my mentor teacher would be right next door, I would have a full time assistant, I'd get paid more because it's long term, and I'd get experience almost what it is like to be a teacher before I get my own classroom. I think a long term sub position would look good on a resume right? How does that compare to regular subbing? I really would like to look around at the other districts, and I'm not sure which way to go. I don't want to hinder myself by staying in one classroom most of the semester, but I think it would also be a great experience. Advice?:confused:

3. LycoManda

LycoManda Rookie

Dec 3, 2005

Hi Miss Kirby,
    Thats a really great opportunity! If its only 3 months I would DEFINATEY go for it! You can look for positions after that and next year sub if thats what you really want. I think that it would put you at an advantage when you apply to other schools. This means that the school district and fellow teachers of your co-op liked your work and trust you. This is a great attribute for a teacher. I think you should go for it...its a real honor! Congrats!

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 3, 2005

I have noticed here that long term subs seem to get the jobs before regular sub. They see that as more experience.

5. jaimed

jaimed Rookie

Dec 3, 2005

I would take the LTS job with no if and or buts! I graduated last December and had a hard getting even a LTS position. Where I live it is very hard to get a teaching position. . I subbed in a few districts to get my name out there and didn’t like it. I wish I had my own classroom. This year I just finished a LTS position and am going into another next week. Districts look at that more as teaching experience than subbing and it will help you land a full time job later!

6. earthmommy2003

earthmommy2003 Rookie

Dec 3, 2005

I agree with everyone else. Not only that, but as a long term sub, you're much more likely to get to know your administration and supervising teachers well enough that they'd feel comfortable writing you a recommendation. I know that the principal and head of english where I've been subbing refuse to give recommendations to short term subs. They aren't willing to put their reputations on the line for someone they don't know very well.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 3, 2005

I am in a long-term sub position right now and couldn't be happier! I was unable to find a full time job for this school year so I had planned on subbing. I was so excited when I was hired to cover for a 3 month maternity leave. I'm going to be in this classroom until March and then in another classroom from April-June while another teacher is on leave. You never know...it could happen to you as well! You could sub for this teacher for 3 months and then end up with another long-term position for the remainder of the school year. It's a great way to get to know the administration better and really strut your stuff! ;) And as others have said, it'll look great on your resume and you could get some good letters of recommendation out of it as well.
    So, obviously, I would recommend doing the long-term subbing. It's not easy to get your own classroom and anything you can do to make your spice up your resume is a good idea. Having 3 months experience as the primary teacher in a classroom is a great way to set yourself apart from other candidates applying for the position (whether it's in the district where you subbed or not). Many school districts are looking for people with experience.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 4, 2005

Beth,
    any news if she had the baby yet?

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 4, 2005

As far as I know, no baby yet. She's going to the doctor's again tomorrow so I'll have the room to myself all day and we'll see what happens from there I guess.

10. dee

dee Companion

Dec 5, 2005

I would definitely LTS, it was after a LTS position that I decided to go back to college to become a teaher. Having this on my resume' helped.

11. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Dec 7, 2005

wellllllll, If it were me in your position, I'd start dancing the jig right now and shout, Hallejuliah , Yea-sssss ! When do I start?! :p
    Go for it!!!
    1]You are correct in the information that it will look great on your resume. It enables you to be able to get great referrals( the administration usually does atleast 1-3 drop in reviews) even if you do not decide to stay for the following school year. Don't forget, those other districts will be looking and talking to the admin people in this school at all those principal meetings that they have to go to, not to mention those statewide conferences they go to. :wow:

2]There's almost always somekind of job fair/at nearby colleges, districts in the fall for December graduates, and starting in January the principals are looking for the spring graduates for new hires as the contracted teachers are either renewing their contracts or telling their principals that they are transferring to another school or quitting for other reasons such as moving. You are always free to go to these "job fairs" and sniff around then. :cool:
    3]Your added bonus is that you will be working and gaining very valuable irreplaceable experience in a school setting that you are familiar with.:love:
    4] Regular substituting does not require you to take on any of the responsibilities of a contracted teacher or long term teacher such as planning, meetings,report cards, parent conferences etc etc... Long term substituting :You become the teacher, not just a fill in/substitute(here today,gone tomorrow). That is what they are paying you for.:angel:
    The final decision is yours, but Please, Please, look deep into your heart and make sure you are absolutely positive of your decision if you do decide to turn this opportunity down. I think you'd be great! YOu've done good, girl!:D You already have the ear and recommendation of your supervising teacher and the staff, or you wouldn't have gotten the opportunity.