Subbing a Half Day

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2017

The district I sub in has a half day tomorrow where we get out at 12:15. Half day hours are from 8:30-11:55 but the notes say you need to stay until 12:15 dismissal with only a half day pay. I'm choosing to sub a full day at a different district since this seems very unfair. Do other districts expect we work unpaid time?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2017

Is the start time the same? What does the district contract say in terms of sub length - is is 3.75 or a bit less than 3.5 hours for a half day? Usually when I subbed, if it was any over the half day amount, you'd get a full day pay, but I never ran into that, as it was almost always exactly half or exactly a whole day.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2017

No. In my district if you work more than half the day, you get paid for the full day.

I should add that hours vary by school site in my district. Some schools start before 7 AM, whereas others don't start until after 9. A half-day release time would look pretty different at those two schools.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2017

Start time is the same and Aesop has the absence listed as until 11:55. The contract says $85 for a full day and half of that for a 1/2 day which is until 11:55.

This district pays teachers more and I signed up to be a kindergarten teacher one day. Since K has aides, the aides usually take over. The secretary tried to underpay me that day even though I signed up to be the teacher. I wish the district valued subs a bit more. (Although the middle school I work at is amazing and really appreciates subs!)

6. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 28, 2017

In our district, the pay is $95 for a full day and $50 for a half day (a little more than half). Anything over 4 hours is full day, so 4 hours and 1 minute would be full day pay.

7. Vince

Vince Rookie

Apr 29, 2017

There should be no doubt when half day is over and full day pay begins. It should be clearly spelled out. In my district, up to and including 3:45 is half day. Over that, even 1 minute, is full day. I have had to correct some secretaries in the past when they marked my time sheet incorrectly. We now use Veritime for our hours and you would think it would be fool proof, but I have worked 4 hour shifts, which is full day pay, and someone entered a 15 minute break! I had to contact my supervisor to correct it and get the correct pay.

8. PetrMishikoff

PetrMishikoff Rookie

May 8, 2017

yah, a lot of times the district really just need a half a day, so they are not cheaping out, but it's a bit silly to pay teachers to sit around for the rest of the day. i suggest you take it - they will appreciate the gesture.

but remind them of the gesture :)

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 8, 2017

The tricky part becomes that subs then are unable to take two half-day positions, because of an overlap of expected times they're supposed to be at each place. Granted, district-wide they should be able to figure out a plan (i.e. we dismiss at 1:30 on Wednesdays, so they just expect subs to continue helping the classroom teacher, or to get in touch with the office). Of course, most subs, if they didn't need to go to another half-day position, might not worry about the 5-10 minutes and just eat it as part of building the trust and their name, but it becomes an issue otherwise.

PetrMishikoff likes this.
  10. PetrMishikoff

PetrMishikoff Rookie

May 8, 2017

yes.. it's just about the long game in terms of relationship building and getting that long term good subbing calls. Tit-for-tat do work out at the end..