Subbing a 4th Grade Field Trip -- Advice?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by indaydutay, Feb 1, 2010.

1. indaydutay

indaydutay Rookie

Feb 1, 2010

I just noticed the Special Instructions left by the teacher. Tomorrow, I will be subbing 4th grade. From 10:30am - 1:30pm, they will be going on a school-wide field trip to the local performing arts center which involves a 30-minute or so bus ride (and I'm assuming a lunch/snack or students bringing their own food).

I'm more nervous than I was before about the job. This would be my 6th day subbing, and I have never gone on a field trip with a class before. I almost want to cancel the job, but I figure it's better now than never. And I can hope that the class is made up of 23 angels.

Does anybody have any advice?
    I also hope there'll be a few parent volunteers along to help.

Any advice would help! What do I do if a student forgets food??? ):

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 1, 2010

I just wanted to wish you good luck! It sounds like you will be seeing a performance of sorts, so that helps! At least you are not wondering around a zoo or somewhere with 25 unfamiliar faces! It seems like you must be having lunch there. I would suggest bringing some extra crackers maybe? In 4th grade, I think the kids will be able to help themselves and manage to share something with whoever forgot food. In 4th grade that is what friends are for! I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

4. indaydutay

indaydutay Rookie

Feb 1, 2010

Thanks! I am glad it's a performance-type of thing.
    Is it 'okay' for substitutes to bring food for students? Or is it possibly dangerous to ourselves... if something happens to the student while eating it?
    Though I figure something like graham crackers would be okay.

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Feb 1, 2010

I subbed for a fourth grade class on field trip day. We were the only class going but it was only for a few hours to a local business, back in time for lunch. When I long termed in other classes I also have done field trips to a farm, a play and the zoo. Each time, the cafeteria would send a few extra lunches. I think that since you will be going with other classes, you will have the benefit of having "regular" teachers around. Undoubtably, the teacher you are subbing for has already let her co-workers know that she will not be be going along for the trip and made some sort of plans.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 2, 2010

I didn't see this until today, and you're probably on the trip...I subbed for music yesterday and the kids told me they were going to see a play today...small world!

Field trips are actually not that bad. I subbed a trip to the science museum. Unless you have one or two demon spawn, it should be fine. You'll probably have parent volunteers and other teachers. Just keep counting kids.

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 2, 2010

Have fun! I am sure you will have regular teachers there as well as parent volunteers. They are a great help, so be sure to rely on them if you have questions. They will help keep the kids well-behaved, monitor them during snack/lunchtime, and just keep the day going smoothly.