Subbing 1st and 2nd Grade the Next 5 Jobs...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Michael S., May 11, 2008.

1. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 11, 2008

My next 5 jobs that I have setup already are going to be 1st and 2nd grade. However, I tomorrow will only be my second time subbing so any advice on...
    -Special Materials to Bring
    -Morning Procedures
    -Etc.

I have worked with kids before (at afterschool and summer camps), but this is only my second time subbing and first time when the teacher won't be there.

I have some materials, but just wanna get a list form others incase I missed something.

I am going to try to get there really early to make name cards for the children before they arrive if needed and look over the plans and procedures. However, advice is appreciated.

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 11, 2008

My advice would be to relax and trust the children. First graders are famous for wanting to help and most of them haven't grasped the concept of messing with the sub. The teacher probably left a little note about who some trust worthy children are. By this time in teh school year, they could pretty much run the whole show!!

Showing up early is a good thing. The other teachers notice!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 11, 2008

Do ask for their help. Don't think they will run themselves though. Pay attention to transitions. In the beginning of the day let them introduce themselves and talk about their weekend or evening. Then introduce yourself. They like to talk. Have fun!