Subbed in middle school for 6th grade...

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by harrysmom, Oct 24, 2007.

1. harrysmom

harrysmom Rookie

Oct 24, 2007

I've been a certified teacher for the past ten years, but I taught younger kids, 3rd and 4th grade. Yesterday I subbed in midddle school for a 6th grade english teacher. I always thought that I might like to try teaching middle school, but after yesterday, I'm not sure. The kids weren't that bad...they were talkative and didn't want to work, but I thought that was because I'm a sub. But when I walked down the hallway on my prep, I noticed that most of the classrooms were noisy and teachers were yelling. My question is this...was my experience typical of middle school? Half of the class worked and half fooled around in each class period. They didn't raise their hands to answer questions, they just yelled out answers. When I got angry and raised my voice, they stopped fooling around and did their work, but they started up again soon after (not all the students. just some in each class period). I can be pretty strict, so the class was never out of control, but I don't want a job where I have to be a disciplinarian every minute. Was my experience typical of middle school, or was it because I'm a sub, or is it because I'm used to the younger grades? I want to know if I should give up on middle school or give it another try....
    By the way...the faculty in this school was amazing. They were extremely friendly and helpful and I really enjoyed working with them. They were also extremely dedicated...as I was leaving for the day, I saw every teacher in their classroom with students offering extra help. Advice?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2007

I too subbed yesterday in a 6th grade English classroom. (Weird) I had the same experience with most working hard, but some of them wanted to see if they could get away with not working. They were a chatty group, but what they were working on they were working as partners so I could let it go. If they got to loud, I reminded them of their voices and they were quick to quiet down. I think there's something to be said for subs in middle school. I think if I were the classroom teacher, the students would not act like that. I didn't have the experience of the wonderful faculty. They were nice enough, but didn't go out of their way like faculties I have worked with in the past. I have previously taught kinder and 2nd and am looking for 4th or MS. You just have to remember that when its your classroom, it will be different.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2007

Not typical in my classroom! :)

That said, I have high behavior and work ethic expectations for my students.

5. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

Yep, I have to admit that I am often being heard saying, "I am not asking you... this is the expectation of my classroom." They have a totally different attitude toward their teacher and every sub note I have had says they were chatty. Lucky for me, I teach ALL subjects and can easily have the sub hang PE over their heads, works everytime! : ) It will be different when it is your own, as long as you make sure it is that way! : )