Sub-Writing Test VCLA

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by JcoachMcc, Jul 13, 2019.

1. JcoachMcc

JcoachMcc Rookie

Jul 13, 2019

I'm very anxious and nervous. I just took the writing by itself and I scored a 71%. Now I was able to do the two writing assignments as well. Can someone please tell me how I did?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 13, 2019

Unfortunately, we cannot tell you how you did. It depends on the grading scale that is used to determine your official scaled score. The best we can do is speculate.

4. JcoachMcc

JcoachMcc Rookie

Jul 13, 2019

Can you speculate on the 71%, last time I scored a 65% and failed?

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 13, 2019

A 71% is certainly an increase from a 65%, though I’m still iffy. I’m leaning towards a maybe you passed. @TeacherGroupie, could you please provide insight on this as you are much more qualified and knowledgeable than me?

6. JcoachMcc

JcoachMcc Rookie

Jul 13, 2019

I'm sorry if I may have offended you, because belief me that was not my intent at all. I was just thrown off when I saw your raw percentage score and I compared it mine. I got of ahead of myself a little. Sorry if I offended you. We are all in the same boat together. I'm taking my reading portion next week.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 13, 2019

Oh, no offense taken! No worries. :)

@TeacherGroupie has been on these forums for many years and she is incredibly knowledgeable about the field of education and standardized tests.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2019

The 71% only refers to the multiple choice part of that test. I believe that it is 50% of the total writing grade. However, the other part, which was your actual writing, will be on your written work. As much as I would love to speculate on your score, I feel that it wouldn't be fair to do so. TeacherGroupie is exactly the person you need to ask for guidance. Best wishes for your success.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2019

I haven't enough information to speculate.

What we've been given two percentages - these will reflect raw points - that cover the same 50% of one subtest. That the later percentage is greater than the earlier is commendable, and I infer that the OP finished more of the writing (the other 50% of the subtest) on the second attempt - but whether the scorers agree remains to be seen.

And as far as I know, there are no results yet in hand for the other subtest. This matters, because the one solid requirement for passing VCLA given in the score report explanation is that the combined scaled scores must add up to 470 or greater. (Yes, 238 is given as passing score for a single subtest. But the score report explanation states that, as long as the other score is high enough, one score can be below that passing score - and it doesn't give a lower limit.)

10. JcoachMcc

JcoachMcc Rookie

Jul 13, 2019

@TeacherGroupie I took the sub-writing test today and I'll be taking the sub-reading test next week, due to my epilepsy I wanted to have enough time to focus on most of the test. I'm praying that the 71% will be enough to help me pass this time. The first time I took the test, I guess I took it for granted. I did horribly on both the reading and writing. On that test the unofficial score was 65%, what is your take on this assessment, to the best of your knowledge.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2019

Taking one subtest at a time rather than going for both in one session is a fine strategy, JcoachMcc. That you're aware that you were less than fully prepared for your first attempt at VCLA is also promising. If you're asking me to tell you that you're going to pass, I can't do that for the reasons that I outlined above (and partly for eyes other than yours). If you're asking me to tell you that you're going to fail, on the other hand, I can't do that either.

Come back to this thread when you've got your score report, please.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. JcoachMcc

JcoachMcc Rookie

Jul 27, 2019

@TeacherGroupie I finally got the results from the sub-writing portion of the VCLA and I'm sad to say that my score only went up five points from last time. My first raw score in writing was 65% and my actual score was 163 so I took it again for the second time and my raw score went up to 71%; however, my score was only 168. I do not know what to do to hit that 235?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 28, 2019

Your score did go up, JcoachMcc: that's something to hold on to.

A VCLA score report gives performance indicators, on a scale from + to ++++, for each component of each subtest. What does your score report show for this subtest?

Petlover likes this.
  14. JcoachMcc

JcoachMcc Rookie

Oct 28, 2019

@TeacherGroupie I re registered for the writing subtest but this time besides putting down that I have a masters degree I put down that I had a high school diploma. However, I still score a raw score of 71% which was the same thing as the last one. Does this make a different or no

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 28, 2019

I doubt it will make a difference, JcoachMcc.

How are you generally as a test taker?

16. JcoachMcc

JcoachMcc Rookie

Oct 29, 2019

Honestly, I believe I have test anxiety. I tend to tense up before the test and try to over analyze everything

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2019

High time to move this thread to the Basic Skills Tests subforum.

Your performance in the reading subtest makes me think you'd benefit from brushing up your skills in reading comprehension. Let me recommend LearningExpress's workbook Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day. Let me recommend going through each part of the book from two perspectives: first as a reader, but then as a writer. I suggest this because reading and writing are two sides of the same coin: what the skilled reader knows to look for within a text (clear arguments, pertinent supporting topics, reasoning undergirded by apt and accurate evidence, clear transition indicators, precision in vocabulary, and the like) is precisely what the skilled writer is expected to supply. LearningExpress has other titles that could help you as well, but this is the book with which I'd suggest starting.

futuremathsprof likes this.