Sub vs. Parent

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Waiting 4 Cert, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Waiting 4 Cert

Waiting 4 Cert Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

Hi,

Two weeks into my six week assignment, I encountered a "Parent" .. Hind sight I was told that subs never meet with parents b/c it is not fair to the sub but that didn't happen in my case.

I after recess I took the kids back into the classroom for 1 hour and then it was time for P.E. .. kids participated in P.E. for 90 minutes, returned to the classroom and we finished out the day.. nothing unusual.

On the way to the car loop (my duty day) I noticed a student was limping and being assisted by another teacher. I wasn't worried b/c that teacher was a partner and I knew she had everything under control. I had to watch over about 30 other students so I didn't go over to them.

Next morning, I walk into the office and I see the same kid on crutches. I exclaim, oh my, what happened?! The kid smiles and then looks up .. I look up and see an "angry" parent. The receptionist tells me, this parent is here to meet with you. I'm like, okay, let me sign in and I'll get back to you. I was thinking perhaps she wanted to tell me what was up with the crutches.. you know, special considerations etc...

When I'm signing in the receptionist meets me in the back and says, under no circumstances should you meet with this parent alone! Now I'm a bit nervous but I say okay.. when I come out of the door the parent is waiting and starts following me to my classroom.

Thankfully my partner and the head of this cluster is in the office shared by both of our classrooms. I yell out to them to please join me as a parent wants to meet.

The first thing the mom says is, this sub broke my sons leg! I was shocked, I looked straight at the kid and said.. What did you tell your mother! The kid with a straight face said, I broke my leg at recess and the sub refused to let me go to the nurse.. I'm like what? when? You never asked me to go to nurse, you never told me you were hurt. What are you talking about.

He said, I told you I hurt my leg when we were coming into the classroom after recess and everybody was trying to talk to you at the same time.. you told everybody to sit down and calm down and I did. The mother jumps on this and says what type of person makes a precious child sit in agonizing pain all day?

I'm like, agonizing pain? How is it that he participated in P.E. Running laps and winning a race? I do not understand.. the mother is like, you went to P.E.? He's like yea. I'm like, why didn't he tell a teacher there that he hurt his foot? I go on to say we did many exercises the rest of the day and he never said anything.. not even my partner who took him to the loop was concerned enough to sit him down in the office!

Anyway, turns out the kid never said anything, the mother thinks I'm a monster and things have been a bit rough ever since. The principal has since gotten involved and promised that if this moms ever comes back, she will personally get involved and nip this in the bud.

This happened the five days into a six week assignment! Pure Joy! I've got tons of other stories to share but I'll pace myself.. one per day.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 18, 2007

You're lucky that the kid told the truth - pretty much anyway!

Don't let a crazy parent get you down. Obviously, everyone at your school knows that this mother is a lunatic. Just do your job!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2007

It sounds as though your school is very supportive-- even warning you from the start NOT to have the conference w/o backup.

5. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

At McDonald's, I'm taught to immediately apologize to every customer that brings back an item with dissatisfaction and to promise to make it right. At school, I've found that apologizing for what the parent perceives to be a mistake on my part often makes them happier and more comfortable with me, but I can only wonder if doing that with the majority of parents would just act as a confirmation of guilt on my part.

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 19, 2007

You have a very supportive school and principal. I was replaced on one of my sub assignments because I received 2 complaints from parents. They were angry that their little darlings were being taught by a sub! this assignment was long-term and I only lasted there 6 weeks! Any way just kepp doing your job and document everything this parent says. Terry G.

7. Blessing in teaching

Blessing in teaching Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

Well, that is just a terrible . I am sorry to hear this happened to you. Sounds like this Mom just wanted to blow up because her son was hurt, and ya know Mom's we get very scared when something happens to our babies. But come on! This women should have never blown up like she did. Did she also talk the gym teacher?

8. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jan 19, 2007

The principal has since gotten involved and promised that if this moms ever comes back, she will personally get involved and nip this in the bud.

I think it's past the bud stage, but at least the pricipal is supporting you.