Sub tub

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by matchstickgirl, Jun 2, 2008.

1. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Jun 2, 2008

Can anyone tell me how they set up theirs? What sorts of things do you want your substitute to know? What do you put in it, and how is it organized? Anything about yours would be a super help! :)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 2, 2008

I haven't made my own yet, but I can tell you what I have received as a sub. I just finished a Long-term-sub assignment for a SUPER organized first grade teacher. She leaves the following for ANY sub - 1 day to infinity:
    • Student name & number roster
    • Grade Book
    • Conduct descriptions - behaviors & consequences, good & bad
    • VERY detailed daily schedule, including bathroom breaks
    • Material that can be read to the students
    • Activity sheets (not quite busywork, but not intensive lessons, either)
    • Notes about each student and their "quirks"
    • A list of how to get help and who to contact regarding problems
    • Directions for finding current lesson plans, unit files, and manipulatives

I can't imagine anyone being more organized than this teacher was! Hope this helps!

5. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 2, 2008

In my sub folder I have a typed overview of my day. In it I explain about any procedures so I don't have to out it all in he day plans I would leave. It will have things like:

12:00-12:50 Math
    I use the Investigations series. The current manual is on my desk and the lesson for today is noted in my plan book. If this lesson doesn't make sense or you have any questions please ask my teammate. If you need I have worksheets in the filing cabinet and/or alternate plans in the sub tub. You can also have the students play any of the following games. The directions are also in the sub tub.

Depending on the subject I would have more/less info in this area. I usually know when I need to be gone and get my plans together before hand, but I make these and a tub for peace of mind.