Sub Teachers, what do you do in the summer time for work?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by ECE ABC, Apr 16, 2015.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Apr 16, 2015

Former Sub here:) I now work as a ParaEducator during the school year and in the Summer ESY program that runs for 5 weeks in July.

I also do a work from home job as well year round. Just wondering what kind of work/jobs do you have in the summer?

Thanks!

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 16, 2015

I have a part-time job at a museum that will cover me for the summer. But I'm also doing that now and subbing has become the fill-in rather than my primary job, so... :)

4. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Apr 19, 2015

A museum sounds great :) I was always doing other things when I subbed because I needed to pay the bills, being single I had to always work another job, I tutored a lot back then.

5. MrsOddi

MrsOddi Rookie

May 9, 2015

I shift my focus back to my freelance editing. I have to work more and earn less, but at least I get to do it from the comfort of my couch!

6. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

May 9, 2015

Just like last summer I'll try to pick up sub positions in autistic support rooms or other classes that have summer positions and post subs. I have 2 kids and I enrolled them in some camps, so I'll look for positions on the days when they are in camp.

7. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

May 9, 2015

paying bills is not only the problems for singles! can be tough enough for a family if both members don't earn much, like me and my husband!

I've been contemplating tutoring. However, I have this notion that they are looking for someone who is willing to do all levels, especially high school, SAT, etc. And I would only be comfortable teaching at elementary level and only LA or math. Do you think it makes sense for me to apply?

8. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 9, 2015

I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone over the age of 10!!!! The kids I tutor are grades 1st - 4th and they are students at the school I work in now...teachers in the building were helpful to let the parents know I tutor.

I am currently working as a Para (former PreK/K teacher & Director) and did tutor 2 times a week this entire school year. Now that school is ending for the year I am no longer tutoring but may tutor one of my students again in the summer once my summer school job (ESY program) is over at the end of July.

9. LifeIsAThrill

LifeIsAThrill Rookie

Jun 8, 2015

I have worked for summer camps (overnight and day camps). One summer I was an aide for an extended school year program, but that was only four days a week for four weeks.

10. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

I babysit, but I also budget so tightly during the school year that I can rely on what I've saved if I need to.

11. Haywood Giles

Haywood Giles Rookie

Oct 8, 2015

I play in a wedding band in the summertime.