Sub Stigma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BerniceBobs, Aug 14, 2009.

1. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I like to pretend that it doesn't exist but it does.
    My kids had some show on today in which a student says,"You don't need a license to be a sub, you just need a pulse." Then the show featured an array of subs; one was an airhead, one was ancient and the other one was crazy. All of the subs were ineffective teachers.
    I am trying to face another year of subbing with quiet resignation but this stereotyping of subs doesn't make it easy.
    I have a credential and a master's degree but it seems the sea swell of the "just the sub" stigma is a hard wave to fight and it comes from parents, the administration, and namely, it comes from the students.
    It's depressing!

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 14, 2009

Bernice...

Let's turn this thinking around.

Heh! It's odd at THIS time of year that i am on the encouraging side. Usually I'm in the muck as well. Right now...though I sent out applications today... I have NOTHING brewing. All my POSSIBLE fires blew out the other day. I'm back to step one.

But... let's GO with your scenario. Let's say ...we ARE going to be subs. THEN what?

Start to think...what will you DO to make sure that YOUR year as a sub DOES stand out. Because it's going to take more than pulling up to a school, working in a room with a bunch of kids, and driving home to stand out enough for the year to matter.

So let me challenge you to FIND your Plan B! What are YOU going to do to NOT be caught in the Sub Stigma this year?

4. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I'm in the same boat right now, too. I resigned myself a couple of weeks ago to the fact that I'll be subbing this year instead of teaching my own class. But I'm choosing to look at this as a positive. As someone who went through an ACP, I know I'm really lacking in classroom experience, so I know my time as a sub is going to be invaluable.

As for standing out and not getting caught in the sub stigma, I plan on arriving early; staying late; introducing myself to every admin, teacher, aide, and anyone else I come in contact with; and really trying to connect with the students as much as I can in that one day. I'm hoping to become a permanent sub at my old high school, so my face will become a permanent fixture there. This will also give me a chance to really get to know students, I hope, and connect with them. On days where maybe they don't have an assignment for me (I know there are retired teachers that are now permanent subs at this school), I plan on volunteering at middle and elementary schools in my neighborhood, to get my name and face out there at these schools as well. I also know some teachers at these other schools, and I've already let them know that I'm a sub and to let me know if they ever need me. I'm making all the contacts I can, and trying to be at a school doing something every single day. That's my plan.