sub question

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Fran723, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Fran723

Fran723 Rookie

Feb 8, 2006

When you sub are you usually on your own with the class or is there usually an assistant in the room with you? I would hop you have help.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 8, 2006

It depends on whether or not there's usually an assistant in the room. If the regular teacher doesn't have an assistant, then the sub would be on his/her own. From my experience, many teachers do not have aides, but I'm sure it's very helpful to the sub if there is one in the room!

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2006

The only time I have ever had an aide with me was in a kindergarten classroom...and it was usually for only a part of the day. Or, when a student had an aide just for them...but they usually are just there for the one student, not to really help out...however, they do know how the day is supposed to go since they are always there, and that can be a big help! :)

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2006

The only time I have ever had an aide for a whole was in the PPCD class. I cant remember if I have ever had in the other elementary clasess. If I did it was for a brief period of time. At the middle school level just nce or twice for a period of time and never at the high school level.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 9, 2006

If I sub a general ed class (except kindergarten), there's no other adult in the room, but if I sub a special ed class such as RSP or SDC, there's an aide. If I sub speech, there's usually no aide, but the school speech therapists do have aides.

7. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 10, 2006

Most of the time I'm on my own. Usually I prefer it that way because then I can do everything my way. When there is an aide or student helper, they aren't usually very helpful to me. I have asked, "how does the class usually do this or that" and they say, "I'm not sure, I never noticed how the teacher does that".

Once in a great while I luck out and get a student teacher. They can (and do) run the class. I haven't found one yet who doesn't love getting the chance to teach! Although it can be boring for me.

Yesterday I had a very difficult first grade class that (from what I heard) has subs refusing to go back in a second time. I was doing my best to deal with them while teachers kept stopping in to remind them that their regular teacher wouldn't approve of the way they were acting. Well, thank God for pre-interns! The class has two and they showed up at lunchtime for the rest of the day. The class improved about 98% for the afternoon!!!

8. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

I agree with Mrs. West. Trying to establish a position of authority and having someone else already in it - doesn't really make for a successful day. And usually (because some friends are assts) the assts think they know better. Maybe they do but if that is the case then don't announce the position as a substitute teacher - maybe a substitute asst - even if it isn't the case it is more accurate.