Sub Plans

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutelilram, Oct 25, 2009.

1. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Oct 25, 2009

I am just curious as to how you set up your sub folders. I write small enough that all of my lessons are written into my teacher planner and I take my planner back and forth with me to school. So I was thinking of setting up a folder with general work for the kids to do if I am ever absent, which is rare.

I have found in the past that subs won't even look at your daily plans nor attempt to teach them even if they are left in the classroom. I was thinking of having some worksheets for the sub to hand out and then go over that would reinforce what we have done in class.

What do you include in your sub folder? And how many days do you cover in your sub folders?

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 25, 2009

My sub folder includes a class roster, seating chart, and daily schedule. My emergency plans are all based on things that are already in the classroom (textbook assignments, using books from our classroom library, playing games that are in the room) so that no copies need to be made... but I only have them for one day. I'm pregnant so I should probably get some plans ready for more than one day in the event that something comes up... I'll probably make some work packets for that and give them a special reading project that they can do independently.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 25, 2009

I usually provide specific plans if I know I'll be out - which is usual. Even on a last minute sick day, I email my plans to a co-worker. I do have 'emergency' plans that I've never had to use (knock on wood). They are pretty basic - pick a book from the class library, read it, talk about it, etc. I figure if I was ever in a position to actually need those emergency plans, I wouldn't really care. :)

5. raincmr

raincmr New Member

Nov 8, 2009

I am currently employed as a substitute teacher to get experience so I can be hired as a first year teacher next school year. I would have to say that I like having specific lesson plans including what time periods things should be accomplished. It helps things go way more smoothly. I do my best to get to the classroom early, read the plans, and prepare myself to teach the lessons as I would if it were my own class. When a teacher doesn't leave plans it is stressful just because I have a limited amount of time to figure out how I am going to fill the school day. Of course I am resourceful and can attempt to ask students where they left off in different text books but it doesn't go as smoothly. I guess it depends on the grade too. I mostly sub K-4. Once I subbed for a Kindergarten class with no lesson plans until half way through the day and let's just say it was an all day kindgergarten. That was quite an experience. If it was a 4th grade it would have been much easier to have them silent read while I pulled together a lesson.

Aside for what to cover academically it is good to have emergency plans, make note of any students with special needs (including things like peanut allergies and where the epipin is), a big one I see that teachers often forget is to explain their management system...if the student is bad then this is what I do, if the student(s) is good this is what they get. It helps subs a lot to know about those things, especially if there are school wide programs.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2009

I missed all last week from having H1N1, so I went into the classroom today to see what state things were in. Oh. My. Goodness. Nothing was done. It's terrible! For example, one day the students had three tasks: silent reading for fifteen minutes which is routine, a vocabulary frontloading activity for the story they would read the next day, and a simple prediction to make based on the illustrations throughout the story. Here's the sub's note: We didn't get to the vocabulary or the prediction. Hello!? So you only managed to have them read silently for the entire period? What a wasted week. I'm so upset. :(

But to answer the question, in my sub folder I have:
    • welcome note
    • emergency procedures for fires and such
    • updated rosters
    • lesson plans
    • simple bell schedule
    • detailed bell schedule (with instructions for each period...not plans, but instructions such as how to get the class started with their writing prompt, which periods have a bathroom break, reliable students, students with special needsetc.)
    • a collection of referral slips, nurse passes (new addition just recently because of the outbreak of the flu in our school)
    There seems to be more, but that's all I can recall.

7. raincmr

raincmr New Member

Nov 8, 2009

How frustrating!!! That's the problem with having subs who think that substitute teaching is "babysitting" I wish they'd hire just qualified subs, and pay us better for it too ;) I recommend not requesting that sub for the next time around. That could be a reflection of bad classroom management skills too.

I almost always get to everything my teachers have planned...unless there is something unplanned or forgotten (like if they are supposed to visit the library and the teacher forgot we go and I try my best to make up whatever was supposed to be during that period)

8. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 8, 2009

I still sub a little since I don't have a full time teaching job. I allways feel horrible if I don't get to absolutely everything the teacher has left! I even feel bad if there was an "extended" fire drill that was unavoidable, or if the teacher forgot to leave the activity.

I agree raincmr, only qualified people need to be hired as subs. They should pay better with benifits, and station us at specific schools---it is soo much better for the kids. This way they could include subs in trainings for school personale and they'd be more on cue with school policies and the programs the school uses.

cutelilram, I will use the lesson plan book if that is all that is left. However I do perfer a write up (and handwriten only if the teachers writing is clear--mine is not..I use shorthand of my own creation in my lesson plan book as do most teacher's I've met, this may be why subs avoid them).

• I would say include emergency plans (like lockdown, firedrill, evacuation from school premises, ect)
    • seating charts.
    • Can students work together.
    • Which students should not be next to eachother (this can be a source of a lot of mismanagement when with a sub)
      • Who is reliable.
      • Applicable modifications.
      • Any applicable allegy or other health issues.
      • YOUR duties...though I do advise that teachers who have before and after school duties...trade your duty with another teacher that day. Some subs will not cover duties when they are off the clock...here APS pays BELL to BELL and legal issues could arise if a sub is hurt during the duty and off the clock.

Oh don't leave busy work, leave something more like what kids would do in class daily or the kids will, in my experience, treat the sub as a babysitter.

9. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Nov 8, 2009

Sub box contents

All of my lesson plans have the following form filled in:
    Substitute Lesson Plans for __(date)____
    Do NOT allow students to play with classroom materials or waste paper. They are NOT allowed to use any of my things without strict supervision. If needed, there are several different pages that can be used in the ‘substitute folder’.

Helpers of the day: _____
    Helpful students: ___
    Students who may need to be monitored for behavior: ____
    Students who may need to be monitored for class work: ___
    Students leave room for special services-Student ____ Days ____ Time _____
    Intervention Tutoring: _____
    Restroom procedures: _____
    Attention signals: ____
    Document Camera/Projector are used all day to project text and/or workbook pages. Ask for a volunteer to help you turn on and/or turn off machine. (Turn on electric strip in AM. Turn off electric strip in PM)

Explain YOUR rules/expectations to the class. Do NOT allow anyone to be wasteful, silly or to wander the room. Students who misbehave may sit aside in ____ area for 5 minutes.
    If you’d like, have students make name cards for themselves using index cards. (Many already have them.)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following is the 'emergency' box for when I am too ill to leave plans written up:
    SUB BOX CONTENTS (Description)

A sub box is left if the sub has nothing else that can be done. In most cases, however, the students already know what to do and will carry on with the previous day's routine in conducting their Community Circle, Homework check-in, Literature Circles routine, and Writer's Workshop routine. They might need more guidance in math, but if the kids know where I left off, they can tell the sub and continue. If not, the sub can refer to the 'emergency sub box' and pull out whatever is preferred.

The following is what I tend to leave :

*A daily schedule

*A listing of general rules and procedures, including the names of students who will be most helpful, students who may require extra attention, students who need to leave the class and where they go (pull-out classes),where supplies are kept and how to use them, how to tend to children who feel ill, and emergency procedures.

*A class list-names of all my students

*A seating chart

*The names of teachers to call on for help or needed materials, along with the office secretary's phone extension should other questions arise.

In file folders I leave open-ended types of activities:

**Reading: Copies of plays/skits, poems that can used for choral reading

**Math: Timed drill sheets, math games I've taught to my students, math activity sheets, and 'math origami' (A book called <i>Math In Motion</i> has some great activities and lists the math involved).

**Language Arts: Easily explained worksheets or activities the sub can teach from.

**Writing: I leave several prompts that the sub can use, or I leave a simple 'fun' writing lesson that I will set aside exclusively for the sub to use, if needed.

**Science/Social Studies: Crossword puzzles that contain vocabulary from Science or Social Studies units.

**Art: Several easy "Learn to Draw" books where the teacher can give students 'step by step' drawing lessons to kids.

**Read-Aloud: I leave several paper-back picture books for the sub to read in a folder marked "read aloud". I never read these books aloud. They are exclusively for the use of the sub.

**Physical Education: I have some easy to read booklets that simply explain some games for the kids. Also I list names of games that I've taught the kids and let the sub choose the game s/he would like to use.

**Homework: I leave several easy-to-explain homework sheets that the sub can send home.

I leave all of the above in a file box (labeled in big letters for the sub) with a lid that has a section built into it where I can leave some pencils, paper clips and whatever else s/he might need.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 9, 2009

Sheeesh.

I AM a sub...and I have also been a full-time teacher. And I think IF you need to be out for an extended time - you have the teachers around you check on the sub. If she ISN'T getting stuff DONE - then you request ANOTHER sub for the next day.

Bad subs piss ME off! They give the good ones (and sorry to toot my own horn-but I'm a GREAT sub) a TERRIBLE reputation...and then WE are treated like dirt.

When I am the teacher I write VERY VERY detailed plans. I explain EVERYTHING (yes they take a while to write out...but it's worth it to have a productive day while i am gone). I don't feel there is ANY reason for not having COMPLETE and detailed sub plans anymore. (When I FIRST taught - e-mail wasn't readily available ...back in the early 80s ... so sick as I was, I would drive my plans - that I was up early that morning writing out - in. But with e-mail? Why CAN'T teachers write out their plans in full and send them into a fellow teacher or the office - and they be given to the subs?)

What YOU feel is complete in your daily lesson plan may NOT be understandable to a sub. I always write mine out as if they pulled a person in off the street without teaching experience. Because in THIS day and age (and especially with the recession) a number of times you are GETTING a person without experience. (We had a sub on the teaching team the other day. She had SAID it was only her second day subbing. She was VERY willing to do ANYTHING - but needed a lot of guidance. At the end of the day I asked if she had just graduated with her degree...and she said that - no she wasn't a teacher. Her boyfriend was. She was an out-of-work interior designer who thought teaching would be fun, and whose boyfriend told her that it would be a source of income. Oh, for pete's sake! And THIS in a district that is only suppose to have certified subs. ... After my current LTS assignment is over, I'll be fighting for jobs with THIS girl????)

As a sub... this is what i would like:

A CURRENT SEATING CHART!!!!!! - Please! Only a few teachers provide it...and this is the BEST thing to have. A GREAT sub could go the whole day without any plans...but you NEED a seating chart (and how nice would it be without having to MAKE one up for EVERY assignment!)

A how-to booklet about the technology in your classroom.

Neighbor teachers who DO give a S*** about your class and are friendly to your sub. THIS is worth it's weight in gold. not bossy - but will stop by to ask if you have questions, give the LOOK to the students (like - don't even THINK about it!) - which I always think is funny...but it's nice to have the support, and are there if something in the plans makes NO sense. (And BTW... TAKE ACTION if I leave a note that Suzie or Sam were NOT well behaved. Or that the class refused to follow directions. As an experienced sub with a classroom management plan that WORKS, I rarely have problems...but kids DO attempt a LOT of things - yes even YOUR darling students! DISCUSS in ADVANCE how to treat a sub...put the fear of God in them, have a neighbor teacher there to help, and then follow through on problem kids and issues. YOU have to do YOUR share to insure that a sub in your class will be able to teach and not be on the battleground all day long.)

A list of helpful students is nice - though you can usually pick them out. A listing of students that YOU want me to give extra attention to is so helpful (i DO want to be productive), and a listing of the kids to keep on (behavior issues).

It's nice to hear about your incentives and little things that motivate them. I usually have my OWN classroom management system that I work with - and we work towards game time at the end of the day (a review of the things they learned or educational topics/current events). But to hear that you hand out Cougar Cash, or that they work to add points on a graph...THAT would be helpful.

IF there is something you do on that day that is VERY VERY complicated...Mention in the note that you will be doing that with the students when you return. I have had to deal with MAJOR MAJOR classroom economy banking days....and it's been WAY more than a sub should be asked to do. I am sure it takes the teacher 15 minutes...but it took us 45. And that was lost teaching time. How much easier to read a note saying: "Class, we will be postponing banking day, treasure chest incentive turn-in, the weekly Hiawatha look-alike pageant, etc. for the day. I guarantee you that I will do this with you on the day I return. Signed, Your teacher ... THAT would be heaven. Sometimes I fake reading a note just to have peace in the room. (Seriously people - if this event is this class' world - you can't IMAGINE what it's like when it's not available the way THEY are used to it!)

I know I mentioned a how-to book with technology...but to have something by the phone that gives instructions on how to call the office. THAT would be a slice of heaven . when a situation calls for instant communication...and you don't know how to do it (Minus walking everyone with you down to the office) that's semi-panic time.

It's best NOT to have to have me do xeroxing first thing in the morning (It's a panic for a regular teacher to fight for the machine...don't throw a sub into that!)...but if you DO need me to xerox Put that at the TOP of the sub plans in HUGE letters so I can do that IMMEDIATELY upon getting there in the morning.

Take a little time to look at your desk. Could a stranger navigate that with a little instruction? DOn't hide the teacher manuals. DOn't have things that one would need buried under files and mail. If your worksheets are in a specific area - pleas indicate exactly where they are...or YES, have the neighbor teacher KNOW your lay-out! Can't tell you the time that saves me in the morning. Time I COULD be preparing to work with your kids!!!

Again... imagine that you are dealing with a person who doesn't KNOW. I am NEVER put off by detailed plans. I CAN and HAVE handled classes with NO plans - simply by working with clues around the room and looking through a student or two's desk. But *I* am a great sub. (We are out there - you need to find us and continue to hire us. Pass our names on to your fellow teachers. In this economy there are TOO MANY wanna-bes! Find US and give US the work!) But the more you can help me NOT to have to "develop instant lessons" myself - the more your kids will be able to get done! I leave detailed sub plans. The things I want done ARE done. i FIND the great subs...or I DEVELOP them by HAVING the detailed instructions out there for them..and RARELY!!!! am I disappointed. (Of course, even WITH THE plans there are those who are better than others...and THOSE I keep). But how wonderful to come back to a letter stating "Thank you for the WONDERFUL plans. I was able to accomplish EVERYTHING you had listed. Your class was well behaved - or the class was very good, but Jimmy disobeyed a little bit, and we were able to go through the day 1-2-3. Please consider me for any subbing you may need in the future. Signed, Ms. Great Sub"

It helps to have something in your plans that tells me what are the essential things to be done. If you WANT the predictions and the magic whozit experiment done even if the building burns down - then TELL me. Sub days ALWAYS take longer than YOUR days (there is the intro, the longer attendance time, the time you have to pad for being new to the technology, students, and room) and sometimes I can't get IN the 47 things you hoped would be accomplished. But if I know that X is a priority, and Y can be sacrificed if there isn't time...I can DO what you NEED to have done.

While I'm at it... if I were to talk utopia.. how great it would be to have a policy with your team that...if one is out, that the neighbor teacher grabs the out-teacher's mail and gives to the sub what is essential to be handled that day. Letters home. Emergency notifications. If I can't find your mailbox easily - or if I check it in the morning -but YOUR office staff fills it before lunch-and I miss sending out the picture day reminder for the next day....Oooops!

Sorry if this came off as a rant...but it's just from a person with a LOT of experience on BOTH sides of the fence. A truly productive day (while you are gone) IS a possibility...but it takes advance work on YOUR part.
    P.S.
    Oh, and I know that this might be too much to ask...but as a really competent sub... I would LOVE to be able to use a computer during the day. To write notes to you, or to make up a quick sheet for the kids, or, well, sometimes things come up. I don't NEED internet access (in case you are afraid I will be searching ebay for the perfectly unused hair-dryer to give Aunt Minerva for Christmas) , but to type something up rather than take a long while to do it long-hand. That would really be nice.

P.S.S.
    One last word..and this is pulled on subs more than you might think.

We work VERY hard. We DO need our breaks in the day. And those of us who are Great subs use that time to prep for the rest of the day. Unless you KNOW the sub - she's your best friend...or Mary Poppins, who can sing a little song and the work is done magically... don't ask us to do your grunt work. I've been asked to take down and replace bulletin boards, xerox copy off the worksheets for the upcoming month (seriously...and that was from my former mentor teacher from student teaching. Hey, beloved mentor. That was fine when I was your apprentice. I'm now your sub, and i'm not staying after school for two hours to do your clerical work anymore.), straighten out storage cabinets, etc. That's not MY job, sweetheart. I'm not your maid...I'm your (qualified) sub.

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 9, 2009

GREAT POINT!

YOU know your kids. Imagine them at their sneakiest. What is it they would like to get into/attempt/orsimply tend to do that you are training them out of. If it matters to you that they DON"T do something...STATE it!

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 9, 2009

Yes please include students who leave for any reason through out the day. This has been a problem in the past. Even if the student is old enough to know when they leave, write it for the sub too.

I've actually gotten in "trouble" with the office for the copy for the teacher/day thing.

Essentials to be done, great, I'd love that. And I will use that when I get my own full time class (my position now doesn't have sick days, benefits, or sub funding).

And yes please give us our breaks, let subs use your prep to prepare too. Here the policy is subs are not entitled to any break except the lunch, but I do expect the schools to treat subs as humans rather than robots.