Sub Plans

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissR, Nov 16, 2006.

1. MissR

MissR Comrade

Nov 16, 2006

How many of you have daily sub plans already made up that you just add a few things to when you actually need a sub? Would some of you mind sharing them with me? I am interested to see what kind of details you put in them and it would also be neat to see how you set up your day. I tried to make my generic sub plans last night to use in the future, but I am worried I put too much info for some parts and not enough for others. :thanks:

3. duckma

duckma New Member

Nov 16, 2006

I have recently became a sub and am currently enrolled in a credential program. There are a few things that would help any teachers substitute's day much easier.

1. Make sure that there is a current seating chart, please!!!
    2. Make sure that there is a list of currently enrolled students in each class and/or period.
    3. Please, please, please provide a copy of the school since this may be my first time at your particular school and it surely helps.
    4. Please provide a copy of any IEP concerns for each child as I don't know your students.
    5. If there are students which require, out of the ordinary, special care, please let me know.
    6. Please provide a guide as to your bathroom policy - students always abuse this rule!
    7. Please provide a listing of emergency numbers that I need to know for the school site.
    8. Please provide a regular teacher that I can contact in case of problems to which I can't deal with in the classroom.
    9. I will be more than happy to let you know how my day went, what students helped, what students had a bad day, etc.

I have enjoyed some of the sub jobs more than others since I've started subbing. I just thought that by the posting of this reply that it might help regular teachers understand how confusing it is to walk into a classroom of students that you don't know and try to teach them.

I also believe that any prospective teachers entering the field should actually take a little time and substitute teacher. It will really open your eyes as to what works, what doesn't, and what you want your own classroom to look like.

I also have one really big question. Does the regular teacher actually do anything at all to those students that act out while the substitute teacher is there? This has been really weighing on my mind since I've started subbing.

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 16, 2006

I am currently just subbing but teachers I subbed for left a range of plans.

1. Third grade teacher: left a very detailed lesson plan telling me which kids I needed to pay close attention to in certain subjects. Also which ones would be of help to me. 4 pages with detailed time blocks in blocks of text. She also included her management system, restroom policy, and emergency procedure and special notes regarding construction at the school.
    2. First grade teacher: I actually knew and went over her brief lesson plan with her and had voice instructions as well--this was nice. 1 page front and back. She included a list of all the kids names and instructions for them going home--incase I'd be in the room all day. Included emergency procedure.
    3. Second grade Teacher: left a full day plan, but I only had to follow the last half of the day, she even left a chart that specified the benchmarks. 4 pages total including expanded instructions and lesson plan table. Included emergency procedure.
    4. Grade K teacher: left a detailed lesson plan of how things were to be done and to follow her management techniques. Also there was and EA in the room and we both were given the same plan, 1 1/pages in block text format.

Hope what I've seen helps you. As a sub I try to follow the teachers lesson as close as I can. If all the materials are accessible to me that isn't a problem.
    Hatima

5. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Nov 16, 2006

Thanks for this list! I leave very detailed plans, but there are a few things on your list I didn't think about.

I do have consequences for bad behavior with a sub. Those that the sub specifically singles out will miss recess and have to write the sub a letter of apology. I keep these and put them in the student's file. If the behavior warrants it, a citation will be written and sent to the office to handle. I always read whatever notes the sub leaves to my kids so we can discuss it. They had a sub on Tuesday that was a disaster (the sub was, the kids took advantage of his ineptitude) and the entire class had to miss 10 minutes of recess.

So if you ever sub in my room, rest assured that behavior issues will be dealt with when I get back! I guess it comes from year's of subbing before getting my full-time position.

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Nov 16, 2006

I always take sub notes seriously and reward the class if the notes are good, and give consequences if the notes are bad. Usually the reward I give for good behavior is an extra recess the day I return. I've never experienced poor feedback about the whole class, so I'm not sure what exactly the consequence would be for that, but when a few kids have misbehaved, they miss recess time the following day.

7. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 18, 2006

I think most teachers do. When I was in high school I only had one teacher dismiss the subs report. I felt that this was wrong, though I didn't agree with the sub that we were any worse than we usually were. (we were a BAD class). All my other teachers took the reports seriously. I remember in third grade I had a really "nuty" sub. I didn't want to listen to him...he was weird and not serious enough. I started to play "telephone" and said, "The substitute is crazy pass it on." Well, I got in trouble. That was my warning. Then I was playing MASH and not doing my work. I rightly so, got in trouble. I knew I was wrong. Well for the first time my teacher got a bad report on me, and I was one of the "good kids." She took it just as seriously as she would've had a been one of the always on the "list." I had to write lines during recess. Also my mom picked me up from school. She asked me how my day went, I couldn't lie, so I told her how and why I got in trouble. She marched me back to the classroom and had me appologize to the sub. He was shocked and said thank you, but rightly so he still reported me. I'm glad he did, in retrospect I deserved it. Luckily I've never had a kid be as much of a brat for me.

In a sub position I had, I met the teacher the following day. She thanked me for my sub report and commented on something in the report. This was a highly positive report with no serious behavior violations.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 18, 2006

If you have transition things that you changed or you watch for, include these. We don't have desks. We have tables. It doesn't really matter where kids sit, but we include that the sub must decide for them (because they will fight over who sits where) and how many can sit at each table. Another issue for us is bathrooms. We give a brief warning (but use your own judgement) statement). We also have 2 classrooms for the same group of kids. They never split up but it is helpful to know which lessons are being held in which classroom. The students will spend all day at the pencil sharpener so the rule is if the need it sharpened, pick another pencil out of the box. They only go to the sharpener if it is absolutely necessary. These are just little tidbits we've discovered that REALLY eat up time along the way. Every group is different. Just include what your students will take advantage of if allowed. Include if you have job duties and what those job duty children do. You can allow the kids not to do them if you think they will understand but likely our kids would argue for a while. Stuff like that. Personally we include some of this and not all of this BECAUSE the teacher and the aide (me) are never absent at the same time and can fill in the details. We include SOME of it to prevent a power struggle between the sub and aide.

9. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Nov 23, 2006

Add fire drill procedures. For instance, do you take an emergency bag, do you lock the room, and what is the exit path.

Write down the schedule. Include lunch and break times.

Do you have a special method for quieting the class? If so, include the information in the notes.

10. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 24, 2006

All the usual things are good that are mentioned here. In addition, I'd just like to add that imho a teacher can write TOO MUCH INFO. Honestly, it happened to me and it was intimidating... complete w/ a script. She knew I had LOTS of experience and the "script" was almost insulting. I'm one of those who HAD my own classroom and am currently subbing.