Sub Plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 25, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

What do you put in your sub folder. I admit last year this is what I struggled with.
    In my folder

-responsible students
    -seating chart
    -student names
    -important info about kids-allergies

The problem was the actual sub plans. Its always hard to know what to put in there because you never know when you are going to be sick. Do you just put a generic lesson in there that the students should be able to do without help? Or just busy work? Or do you actually keep up with it and put lessons in it of what you are actually going over?

Any other tips?

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 25, 2010

Depends on the class. With last year's group I just put some generic information as far as review skills. I also chose some "review" pages from the math textbook, english textbook, and science, and social studies books. I also had a stack of "review worksheets that they could always use practice in.

I put the information that you had above but I also had a list of "who to go to" for different things-
    see Ms. ____________ if you have any trouble understanding my plans.
    See Dr. ___________ for discipline issues.

4. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

I would appreciate a list of times students might be leaving the room; for example, for band/chorus/orchestra. I have been reluctant to let them leave without at least checking with another teacher.

5. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 25, 2010

The plans I leave are pretty generic. They are things the students already know how to do or at least can figure out on their own. I type a list of page and item numbers and the sub signs off so the next sub will know where to start.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 25, 2010

I have a sub folder with information that the sub needs to know (rosters, seating chart, bell schedule, crisis plan, etc).

Then, for plans, I write them based on what students are doing and email them to 2 colleagues ... one of them will print and pass them on to the sub. I go with 2 colleagues that I know don't mind (I do the same for them) and if one of them were to be out, the other can do it.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2010

I do the same thing--one copy to one of my friends from work is always in early and one to our administrative assistant. There is also a sub section in the planning binder on my desk that has plans for two days just in case I can't get plans to the school (in 5 years, they have never been used).

8. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

A lot of the teachers I subbed for left me a detailed schedule with the content of the lessons, any work to be done, the times that students needed to leave the room for any reason, etc. This really helped me get into the flow of the day.

If you work with younger children (Pre-K to 2nd, I guess), make a note of the different ways you get their attention. Usually at that age, if they hear something different than they're used to then they won't respond.

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

If you're talking about just a generic lesson plan in case you are unexpectedly absent and unable to leave a detailed plan (one with specific assignments, page numbers,etc), as a sub, I would like to have:

• A schedule of the week/day to tell me if the kids have music, PE, whatever.
    • A duty schedule.
    • A schedule of the day in terms of what happens when...is math first, or after lunch, etc....
    • Information about whatever doesn't change. For instance, if you do a pre-spelling test monday and a test on Friday. Are you going through the reading anthology on a week by week basis so the kids can tell me where they are right then.

In other words, if I have as much information as possible about routines, I can improvise from there. If I walk in blind and have nothing at all, nothing is going to get done and the kids will lose an entire day of instruction because my time will be spent controlling chaos.

Also....if you don't already have it posted near your desk, a daily bell schedule, including rainy day schedule would be helpful. I went in one time to a class a teacher had planned as if it was a regular day. It unexpectedly rained, and I had no idea that lunchtime was 15 minutes earlier AND 15 minutes shorter that day.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2010

I'm getting ready to start my 18th year, and there has only been ONE time that I was unable to leave specific plans that were what (or close to it) what I was already planning for that day. (I was in emergency surgery that one day.)

I do, however, have a set of "generic" plans. I took all of the stories in the literature book that I never use as part of my regular instruction and put together activities with them. All of those are in the sub folder. They may not necessarily have to do with what's being done at the time, but they do relate to my content.

Things in my sub folder include:
    • "where to find it" list
    • substitute's notes page
    • responsible students
    • medical issues
    • daily schedule
    • names of teachers who can help
    • specific lesson plans
    • emergency plans
    • duty rosters
    • master schedule
    • bell schedule
    • fire/tornado/earthquake/shelter in place information
    • procedures & expectations
    • behavior journals for disruptive students
    • office referrals, just in case

I used to be a sub, so I tend to overdo it on my sub notebook. However, my substitutes always comment on my great plans & organized notebook.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2010

Ditto, except mine is a "sub tub". My only problem is keeping the seating chart updated, because I change it according to behavioral needs.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2010

I forgot to put seating charts on my list. I have charts with pictures on it. The kids don't always sit in the same spots, but I always tell them that they sit where the sub tells them . . . period.

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

I have a pretty similar folder to what was already mentioned.

* Class schedule
    * Seating chart
    * Behavior expectations (dos and don'ts)
    * Responsible students
    * Schedule of specific kids leaving (Intervention/band/RSP)
    * Where to find/ Who to ask
    * Referrals (hopefully unnecessary)
    * Emergency plans- Students know the routine, can fly solo type of work.

The emergency plans are rarely if ever used. I give regular lesson plans for what we would be working on if I were there. The emergency would be if I was flat out on the hospital bed. LOL I think the emergency plans have been used once in my whole career.

14. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I have a grid that I printed off and placed in a sheet protector. As I change my seating chart, I just write on it with a wet-erase marker. This seems to be easier for me and I also put a note at the bottom that says, "If this seating chart does not appear to be up-to-date, feel free to use your discretion to seat students."

I also include:
    - names of responsible students as well as names of students they may have trouble with and any students needing extra intervention
    - schedule for students coming and going (Title I, tutoring, etc.)
    - duty schedule for entire year.
    - special schedule for entire year
    - general overview of school (who to ask, where to go, etc.)
    - extremely detailed plans for the day (I plan on putting emergency plans in this year)
    - a clear pouch with attendance, lunch, discipline, nurse slips.
    - 5 minute filler ideas incase there is a hole in my plans or the day is changed. This includes spelling and math games, journal writing, SmartBoard activities, etc.
    - A technology tip sheet (how to use SmartBoard, play CD/DVD, who to go to for log-in help, trouble-shooting for computer lab)
    - List of students who generally ride the bus and those who are picked up
    - List of supplies available and where to find them
    - Overview of behavior system
    - Torndado, Fire, Lockdown plans

I think that's about it. I place my sub information in a flexible 1/2 binder with page protectors. It sounds like a lot but I know that subs don't have it easy and I want to help as much as possible.

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I teach kinder and lots of what we do everyday is routine (it goes pretty much the same each day - morning message, word wall, writer's workshop, etc.)

I leave VERY detailed directions for every activity we do - about 5-6 pages. Subs always commented how they appreciate the explicit directions.

Plus this means almost no work for me to get ready for a sub. We don't do ANY worksheets anyways so there is nothing to copy and get ready. Never had it easier when I need a sub.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2010

I write extremely detailed sub plans- the stuff in my folder is for emergencies, if I just can't get my plans in to a sub (which has NEVER happened, knock wood!) In the emergency folder in the office is a copy of class procedures, allergy alerts, a sample schedule with 'basic' lesson plan, a schedule of specials and pull outs (although this is in my classroom as well), emergency evacuation and lock down instructions. When I have a sub, in addition to detailed lesson plans, I also leave a yellow sub folder on my desk with some similar things in it plus a 'need more to do?' assortment of math activities, etc.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2010

I also leave extremely detailed plans for subs. The Sub Tub is only for emergencies, and so far, I haven't had to use it. I have even come in to the classroom after everyone is gone (when I was too sick to teach) and updated plans, grabbed papers, left new sub communication, etc.