Sub Plans-What do you do?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Feb 2, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 2, 2011

How in the world does anyone leave emergency sub plans? How can you create lessons and stuff when you have no idea when you will be sick or what will be going on?
    I didn't have any last year and I do not have any this year.
    I have a sub binder with a few stuff in it but not much.

Help!

What do you keep in your emergency plans? How do you do it?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

I keep review type things in my sub folder. Basically it is skills that are either taught in earlier grades or something I teach in the beginning of the year.

I also keep some games in my emergency sub folder that can by played.

I tend to change the emergency sub plans half way through the year though. This way I can update them. So, I have two folders...

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

We are suppose to have them, but I have never had emergency sub plans. The one time when I decided in the morning I was too sick to go in, I went in and made plans that morning. It was miserable, but I did it. Usually I just go into work sick, subplans take too much work.
    When team members of mine in the past were sick and didn't anticipate it, they typed up plans at home and I put together the worksheets.

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Feb 2, 2011

I usually leave something that they will not need instruction on (students or the sub). I may leave a list of topics and the student can choose one or two and write one-page or two-page essays.

I teach 6th grade ELA so this works for me.

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Feb 2, 2011

I leave review activities for math as well as games they are familiar with (PIG with cards, dice games, a facts bingo, etc.). If there are sheets or activities we don't get to, I try to put these in a folder and write up an easy explanation for how to complete them when I have time. I write in my plans that these can be used if needed.

In reading, I typically leave activities like story maps, character interviews, journal writing, etc. that could work with pretty much any story in our basal reader.

This year I'm using Scholastic News so when we have an odd week and don't have enough time to get this in, I stick it (along with worksheets) into my emergency plans.

I have a binder with sub info, emergency plans, calendars, etc. I got many of my ideas from LittlestLearners. Check her out!

I've never needed to use them but I have to say that it's a comfort knowing that I could get by without dropping off plans or preparing them the night before.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 2, 2011

I mean this is driving me crazy. I would rather go in if I'm that sick but then I think what if I got in an accident or something. I have nothing. I know we are supposed to have them but if someone ever came to check I would just throw something together which is not good.

So games and review worksheet. A couple of books with writing prompts and filler worksheets.

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Feb 2, 2011

I need to create an emergency sub-folder b/c my commute is 36 miles each way!!!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

'general plans':

A read aloud

General writing workshop...write a new entry in notebook, authors chair

Spelling sorts

Word work

Math problem solving

A brain pop video

Reading workshop...kids get their book bins and read independently

Math bingo or other math games

Slot in lunch and a special and that pretty much covers a day...plus my team members are great for providing 'fillers' for subs if needed

10. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Feb 2, 2011

I always am worried about needed emergency plans if I had an accident. I often take home a teacher's manual at night to plan for the next week (tonight I'm in for a healthy dose of reading!). So... if I couldn't make it tomorrow, neither would the manual. I'm the only teacher at my grade level so there's not a back-up. Once I thought about this, I now write in my sub info where a copy of the student text can be found as well as workbooks just in case.

My P last year made our first (and only, haha) 1-on-1 meeting a chance to review our typical sub plans and emergency plans. While I didn't appreciate the "assignment" at the time, I'm so glad that I did. I can always add to the emergency plans or change them as my students develop but it's a nice feeling.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 2, 2011

If I'm feeling sick one day and know that I'm going to be absent the next day, my plans are always detailed and thorough. I leave no room for misinterpretation of directions.

HOWEVER, last year I came down with walking pneumonia. I was out for two days (I should've been out for longer, but I have never missed more than two days in a row). Anyway, there was absolutely no way I could've gone down to the school to write sub plans, so I typed up some plans at home. I had the sub take the kids to the computer lab for an hour or two, then to the library for about an hour, I added in a few read alouds, the kids did some random math & language arts workbook pages, and I also told the sub to feel free to show a video in the afternoon (I have a wide assortment of Disney movies on a bookshelf in my classroom).

The sub thanked me for actually typing up a daily schedule and emailing plans to the office. I guess there are many teachers in my district who've left absolutely nothing when they're sick, so the sub has to "wing it." He said that things went perfectly well both days, and the kids said that things were fine.

I hope I never get that sick again!!! I hate not leaving organized, concise, and fool-proof sub plans!

12. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Feb 3, 2011

I've had to miss a couple of days in the last few weeks, because my own kids had the flu. I was able to go in and make sub plans specific to those days, but I did go ahead and make an emergency sub folder in the event that I can't get to the school. I made copies of an old math lesson that the kids still have some trouble with. My reading lesson is also just review....having them read and do story map graphic organizer. I just make copies from my teachers editions for the sub to follow, so I don't have to worry about them not having the TE's.

I found that I put this off all last semester, but felt so much better once it was done!

13. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Feb 3, 2011

I try to be extremely clear (read as obsessive) on procedures in all of my plans but especially my emergency plans.

Because they are for emergencies and one never knows when they may be used, I've tried to give information on what to do in the event of a weather delay or early dismissal (what can be skipped and what should be squeezed in), who to contact if a new student arrives that day and where new supplies can be found, what to do in the event it is our state-wide assessment day.

I try to use dividers and a table of contents so that information can be easily found without having to read a lot of info that you don't need.

At the beginning of the year, our secretary gives us a ton of info (schedules, student info, class lists, textbook check sheets, etc.). I stick these right sheet protectors in my sub binder. Then, they are always there for a sub and whenever I need to refer to them.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 3, 2011

First, I created a template for each day of the week in Excel so it has all of the times for each subject, my specials, times for lunch, and everyday stuff, such as AR time already in. That is a big help, whether I use it to actually type every lesson in, or just leave that out so the sub can see what to be doing when.

I also have folders labeled "6th Math", "6th Writing", "7th Math", etc. Then, throughout the year, I will add things to those folders as I see fit. For example, in 6th Math, I will add worksheets on simplifying fractions, adding and subtracting decimals, converting, etc. Writing includes writing prompts, sustained response questions, etc. I find science and social studies the hardest, but it doesn't hurt them to do a crossword puzzle on Egypt even if we're studying Greece at the time.

I have to think that most subs, at least the ones worth their salt, will be ok for a day if they have a schedule, a class list, and access to a game cupboard.

Oh, one thing I just did today was make copies of the practice test for our state math test, and give that to the 7th/8th graders, with the instructions to work together to figure out ones they don't know. I realize this might not be feasible for some, but we can.

My main goal when I'm sick, like today, is I don't want kids going home telling their parents that they were 1) bored, or 2) wasted their time. I want them to have worthwhile, educational activities, even if they aren't what I would necessarily do if I were there.

15. cheer

cheer Comrade

Feb 3, 2011

I am at a small private school so you are never really sure who is going to be in your classroom when you are out sick so.... I pick a theme and print out themed activities that would go with each subject. Last year I did pirates and I had books about pirates for teacher read, a math pirate game for them to complete in math, a pirate patch (paper) to decorate, a writing response sheet to the pirate story the teacher read, and for science we talked about where gold comes from and then we play a game where they can earn gold nuggets. I have to keep it simple because the last person who had my class tried to teach the math lesson (which I thought was a no brainer) and it went really bad. I had to reteach it. This was the easiest way for me to handle it.

16. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Feb 3, 2011

I also leave emergency plans in my "Sub Tub." I have never done it before this year, but with having a baby at home and a husband who travels, I decided it would be best to have emergency plans rather than try to throw something together at last minute. In the sub tub, I leave a generic schedule, information about how Daily 5 works, reliable students, special needs students, etc. I also have a reading folder and a social studies folder that I leave review worksheets in. In my plans, I just tell the sub to use whatever worksheets are in the tub.

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 3, 2011

I really need to start working on this. Its just the time it takes to get it all done.
    I hate making sub plans period!!!

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

Yes, but once you make it...you can use the same material for years with little tweaking.

19. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 3, 2011

Wow! Great topic! Ugh! I totally need to do this. It takes forever to write out my sub plans- I am very detailed and explicit, maybe too much. I have everything you could possibly need in there. But emergency plans...no idea.
    Cheers- what grade was this for? That sounds like the perfect solution for kindergarten! Awesome! I can easily steal that idea! That is sooo easy compared to what I have been imagining/dreading!

20. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 4, 2011

Review, review, review. My emergency sub plan is all about review and repetition. I also keep an emergency academic movie or documentary just in case. I also try to keep things open and give the sub more discretion.

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2011

I don't actually have my emergency plans written out. I really need to come up with a few days worth of plans, seeing as I've been out for two days & hadn't planned on it. Fortunately, my copies were already made & I typed up my plans and sent them to another teacher, who printed them for the sub.

Hmmm... maybe a unit on something I'd want to cover in class but can't actually fit into the curriculum? A short story I just can't ever get to? I like the idea of reviews in there, too...

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2011

I have a file of generic activities that can be used throughout the year: story elements activities for any story, spelling games, writing prompts, and math papers like "write as many number sentences as you can to equal ___________." I also include directions for some easy activities that we have done before that the kids like (skip-counting games, for example).

I love the idea of adding in those extra papers that don't get done, though! I will be going through my extras file and sticking some in there.

23. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 4, 2011

I have a sub folder that lists all of the policies, procedures, seating chart, etc. I also have detailed lesson plans that explain what is done during my reading time, math time, etc.

Then, our district requires us to have lesson plans two weeks in advance. These are very basic notes, including page numbers and topics of what I'm working on. So, if I'm sick, between these two items, the sub teacher should be able to figure out what needs to be done. Unfortunately, I don't think a single sub has taken the time to read all of the lesson plans I have available for them.

24. cheer

cheer Comrade

Feb 4, 2011

I teach first grade. This has been the easiest way to do it. I always dreaded doing sub-plans but when I had a review it was one of the areas I need to improve. (I didnt have any plans before) Just google the theme you want and see what comes up. Good luck

25. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 4, 2011

Wow- I better get on that! That is really a great idea! Thanks for sharing! Throwing in some fun stuff that I did not get to would be great too. That would be nice, but I love the theme idea- that is my new plan for this weekend!

26. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Feb 5, 2011

I honestly wouldn't go "all out" with sub plans. I have been out two days this semester and both days the subs kind of did their own thing, even though I had plans. There was plenty to keep them busy the entire time, but the kids told me that they took an extra recess and played Simon Says in class. Then I get a note from the sub saying they "didn't get to that" or "were running behind all morning."

27. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2011

I also keep a list of what is in my sub folder copies wise, this way I can ask my teammates to pull out the copies that I want them to do that day.

28. G00d d00bie

G00d d00bie Rookie

Feb 5, 2011

I plan to be sick in a few days. I have had a cold and persistent cough all week. The cold started in my chest a week ago last Friday. Today it continues and seems to be spreading to include a head cold. I wonder how many days off I might need. I was thinking the sub could use the emergency lesson plans that are good for 3 days. The plans call for practice with vocabulary and other basic skills, but I wouldn't even use them. I feel I need to be there every day. The subs don't know any content. If I have to take a day off I try to make a test that lasts the entire period. But I gave a test a few days ago. So I am thinking to make up some worksheets that will lead the students to learn the material. I've done it before. Have a lot of it saved on computer. It is like rewriting the book with extreme detail.
    But I'd say a lot of the principals that have taught before probably just think the teachers can give the subs some general information and practice. That is probably all they did when they taught.

29. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 5, 2011

www.worksheetworks.com is a great place for review work. I use it mostly for the "puzzles" link because they have math searches (wordsearches but you find equations) and soduko and other math type puzzles... amongst other things.

I also always include one of these... http://www.worksheetworks.com/math/geometry/graphing.html click on "hidden message" and you can type in a secret message that the students will discover after graphing all the ordered pairs. I put things like, "Be nice to the sub" or "See you Later" or cute things like that.

30. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2011

:2cents:NOW! Let me tell you how I feel as a SUB...:D
    IT IS GREAT when I walk in there and the principal hands me a folder with all that I need OR tells me that the instructions are on the teacher's desk. I have been to schools where the people in charge did not even know what the teacher left.
    I HATE it when a teacher leaves me the following;
    ...Do whatever you feel like doing. Well!:rolleyes: I FEEL LIKE DANCING. How about some music kids? Let's party!:p
    ...There are movies you can watch with the students.
    HECK! If you want us to watch movies, then give us some tickets and we'll go to a theatre! :)
    ...Ask the teacher next door to help you with what we're studying...(Have you told her I'm doing that?):confused:
    ...Call the office if you need help. (Well! If I had a Special Ed class, but this isn't.)
    ...NO TIME SCHEDULE. :help:
    I can tell when a teacher was not prepared for days like this.
    I know we all have emergencies, and any GREAT teacher should BE PREPARED for it.
    ON that NOTE...Get on it during the summer!
    I subbed for Music one time. The teacher asked me to watch movies,etc., which we did not do until the final 10 or so minutes. They had a piano and a guitar there, so we used them and we had so much fun! If I was to do it all over again, I would have picked MUSIC as my major in college. Music just makes everyone happy.:cool:
    Some of the children made my day when they asked if I can be their teacher. I told them that I DON'T think their teacher would like that. I enjoy subbing.:)The pay can be a little bit more.:D
    Rebel1

31. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2011

I have a template that I made and for my emergency plans, I keep it very very general. Like an above poster wrote, keep the routine stuff in place. Reading workshop, writing workshop, etc. Leave review games for math or some review sheets that they can work on independently. etc. They are really worst case scenario plans but if you need them, it is really really helpful and you won't have to worry about planning should the need arise.

32. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

I don't get subs if I'm absent, but I know most teachers in my building have an "emergency" sub folder. It just has their daily schedule and a review or enrichment activity for each block of time. I can't imagine it would take more than 30-45 minutes at the absolute most to put something like this together.

Most days you would be able to get some sort of plans in, even if you just e mail them to another teacher and ask her to print them off for you. Only in a real emergency where you had no access to a computer or anything would you need to use your "emergency" plans, so once you make up one set they should last you for quite awhile- you might never even have to make another set!

33. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jun 5, 2011

My emergency plans are a copy of blank weekly schedule, and in each subject there is a general plan, like:
    Reading: Have students read their current IB, and discuss with their group. If students are inbetween IBs, please have them choose an independent book to read. Writing: Have students work on their current writing project. If they are finished, or in between projects, please have them write me a letter. This is something they do each month, so they know the requirements....

I figure that it would be a really unusual thing for me to be unable to leave plans, and for my team to also be unable to give specific help to a sub... so in that RARE instance, it would be fine for my kids to have a very general day full of reading, writing, and project work time.

34. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 5, 2011

I've never had to use my emergency sub plans because my team members would do my sub plans if I was unable to come in unexpectedly. I have done it for them many times.

What I do have in the Emergency plans...
    Reading- A few reading passages from edhelper. They are grade level appropriate and have comprehension questions that follow. Many also have a writing response assignment.
    Word Work- Graph paper is in the folder. Students can create a word search of their spelling words on the front and a cross word puzzle f their vocab on the back.
    Writing- Random journal topic
    Math- Review pages that they constantly need practice on
    Social Studies/Science- Edhelper pages reading/response/comprehension and if they are being good a page to color. They so rarely get to do that anymore.
    PE- kickball basketball.

I usually also keep some random worksheet pages just in case there was extra time.