Sub Plans in a SpEd Class

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by rchlkay, Nov 5, 2008.

1. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Nov 5, 2008

I've been struggling to complete a sub folder that my principal wants me to have. I teach Jr.High and High School and really just need to leave plans for two classes as I also teach resource. My kids are so varied that I really can't leave real lesson plans. So, I find myself with a folder full of busy work. Do you think this is ok? What do your sub plans look like?

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2008

I've gotten folders full of busy work. I'm happy with that as long as it's possible to engage the students with what's left for me. I usually have to supplement busy work with a book to read out loud and perhaps movie. Student's seem to get restless just doing busy work.

Could you include a 30 minute scholastic movie (Magic School Bus, Dragon Tales, Popular Mechanics for Kids - depending on your age range) and a book to read out loud in your instructions? I've found that this really helps fill those gaps that can happen in a special ed day.
    I also like to have coloring pages. And instructions on what games they like to play during free time, etc.

4. stepka

stepka Comrade

Nov 6, 2008

Yes, I agree with special-t--some busy work, but break it up with a movie or other activity--these kids usually don't have the best of attention spans, and with a sub they often check out altogether and it's hard to keep them on worksheets the whole time. I do my best to follow the teacher's plan but sometimes I just feel so sorry for the kids doing all those worksheets. I know what you mean about all the different levels though--I had three high school classes to teach the other day, and they ranged from low to very low and the teacher left the same WS for all three of the classes. It didn't work out that well, b/c the moderately low class finished way early and groaned when I said, "Well, if you're finished now, there are some more WS." I just couldn't do it to them and ended up digging out a movie that I'm not sure the teacher wasn't saving for some other day, but I was desperate. Even that finished too early so I ended up the class by torturing them with slides of my vacation.

The very low class couldn't do the WS at all and they just copied the sentences that needed to be corrected. One thing I've seen done is for the teacher to keep binders for each student with some work that needs to be done that is on their level and giving each student a specific requirement. Then if they finish early they can play a game and when everyone is finished, I can show a short movie or something. Coloring sheets are good and I collect them from different places and the novelty value is good, but not all HSers like to color. A simple game to learn and teach is "dots and boxes" and the materials are simple. I keep the dot sheets in my bag too. REading aloud is good, but the teacher needs to leave a book that she knows the kids will like and that is on their level, b/c it would be really hard for me to plan ahead on that one.

That was a great question rchlkay--thanks for asking it, and we know it's hard to plan ahead b/c there are so many levels, even in one classroom. I think it's hard enough to plan for a sub in a regular classroom--it would be very difficult to plan for a special one.

5. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

Do you have a paraprofessional in the classroom. My sub folder tell the sub that the paraprofessional knows the routine and that they are to follow her lead. They need to be engaged with the students but not to talk with them while they are working. They are not to be behind a computer or reading a book. That each of the students will need their attention.

I do put a fun activity in the folder, so that IF the student finish their work or have had an excellent day, they can work on something fun. I also tell them that bingo and hangman are great activities to fill down time (not that there should be any).

I expect my students to stay with their routine when I'm out as it causes more trouble for them to be off even for just one day. :2cents: