Sub plan help needed! *Halloween*

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 4, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 4, 2011

I have a sub for the afternoon on October 26th. We have off of school on October 27th and 28th, so this is the last day before Halloween weekend.

What are some fun, easy Halloween activities that I could have my sub do that would take about 45-60 minutes? I don't want to do anything too crazy. She is a retired kindergarten teacher, and this will be her first time in my classroom this year. My class has a difficult time handling things that are more fun and unstructured. They just get crazy and things fall apart. I also do not want to have a party or parent volunteers or anything like that. BINGO would be an easy answer, but I think BINGO is tough in a classroom (at least from my experience). And it becomes all about prizes.

Any ideas?! TIA!

3. christine89

christine89 Companion

Oct 4, 2011

Hm... Well, Halloween stories would be good, especially being it's so close to Halloween. Part of that time could be like a 15 minute story time. You could also have a very simple art project set up to do. A real hit in my room lately has been musical chairs so that could be fun with some "spooky" music. You could decide if you want to do a prize for that, but I usually just give the winner a sticker or something. Hope all goes well!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2011

what about Roll a Pumpkin? Or is that too much for kinder?

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 4, 2011

Guided drawing? I had to do that with a kinder class last week. Most of them did okay. Only one shed tears. Maybe you can find a Halloween themed drawing.

6. traveler

traveler Comrade

Oct 4, 2011

Have them describe their Halloween costume in clues and draw a picture. The rest of the class gets to guess which costume goes with which kid.

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Oct 4, 2011

Do you have a copy of "BIG PUMPKIN" by Erica Silverman?! It's a fabulous book and my kids BEG for it! We read it almost every day in October...the read along CD is the ticket!!!:) Scholastic has it now for $4! Anyways, have her play this and then act it out!:)

Leave a fun art activity!:) I love leaving clay or wikki stix for my sub!

As for Bingo...I love leaving this for a sub! EASY!!!! And, it can go for 10 minutes or even 30! As for prizes, I always play the winner is the caller!:) I avoid buying junk/prizes at all costs!!!:lol:

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 5, 2011

If you haven't already done pumpkin science activities, I would start there. There are all kinds of books. You can also do a pumpkin cycle booklet.

Another activity I really liked was finding a black and white picture of various pumpkins that are similar but different. Then the students have to LISTEN and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS to color their pumpkins correctly. It was kinda funny because the first time they all did horrible at it because it was new. So I went over it and then we did it again. They improved the second time. SO make sure you include for her to model one or two the first time before they start. But it'll be something like, Look for the pumpkin with a smiling face, a round nose and no hat. Color the eyes red. The kids LOVED IT. It was quite a challenge.

Another activity would be to have them draw any size pumpkin they want from orange butcher paper or just have them select large orange paper and draw there. Then they are to cut it out. Working in groups, they should measure their pumpkins using unifix cubes and record the data. Don't tell them you will be comparing size first. Just tell them to draw any size they want. Then the group orders the pumpkins from smallest to biggest. They can share with the class their findings with simple guided questions. Don't forget to take pictures!

They could follow different recipes to make different flavored pumpkin seeds then taste it and graph their preferences.

There really are a lot of different activities you can do here that are both academic and fun.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 5, 2011

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! (BTW, I teach 2nd grade-the sub just used to teach kindergarten.) And I LOVE the story Big Pumpkin, too! ;)

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 5, 2011

Lol. I saw that and STILL processed that I was giving kindergarten activities. The mind is a tricky reader.

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2011

haha - I knew you were a second grade teacher, too. Obviously I didn't read too carefully.

I have them do skip counting with pumpkins. There's a worksheet full of little pumpkins with a number inside. They cut out the pumpkins and place in order and glue on a sentence strip.
    If you want, PM me your email.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2011

We do tricky Halloween math and then give an m&m for correct answers (if you're in a place that can still give candy....)

Mary Monster filled 3 buckets with candy. Each bucket has 10 pieces. How many pieces of candy does she have?

George Goblin gives 5 pieces of candy to every trick or treater. He gave out 125 pieces of candy. How many trick or treaters came to his house?

(I have pages and pages of problems, cut them into strips, and hide them in little plastic pumpkins from the dollar store. When they finish one strip they come have it checked, get a candy, and a new problem)

13. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Oct 7, 2011

I would love to have your skip counting pumpkins. That would be great for my kiddos!!