Sub Pay

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Suburban Gal, Aug 26, 2005.

1. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Oct 21, 2006

Here's what it is where I am: $55/day for a non-degreed person, $65/day for a person with a degree or certification. If you go long term, it goes to $65/day with a degree or $75/day if you are certified. Only degreed people are allowed to do long term assignments. I got lucky when they realized I speak Spanish. I was able to do a long term assignment until they found a certified teacher to take my place. I'm about to start subbing for an aide in the Sp. Ed. department who's sick with cancer. They aren't expecting her back this year, so it's going to help me get more experience before I get my degree. YAY!

2. Waiting 4 Cert

Waiting 4 Cert Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

In Osceola County, Fl, it depends on your degree.. for BS and higher we get $11.50 an hour which is roughly $86 a day. I'm not sure if it goes up or fluctuates like many examples on the board but I sure do hope so :)

3. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 25, 2006

In Southern California, the district where I'm at it's $100 full day, $50 half day, $110 long term. But I know of another district where full day is almost $120.

4. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Oct 26, 2006

Subs in my county just got A+ bonuses also! That's an extra $420 this year! (And just when I needed it, too! What a happy surprise!)

5. NoJobSD

NoJobSD New Member

Nov 12, 2006

I am in San Diego, and more specifically in Poway Unified (a very GOOD district) I get $90 a day and $100 after 21 days (without missing a day or the count starts all over). In So CA that is not much especially when the cost of living is so high. I am a single female in her 20's without health benefits because they would be $300 a month for me. I also have 2 side jobs to make ends meet, with a long term position that means working 7 days a week for very long hours, without the proper compensation. When will districts offer subs benefits? We are very ignored and need someone in the government to fight for us. I am young out of school, credentialed with experience and I still have not been pick up by and district.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 12, 2006

I just moved to this area a month ago. Now I make $85 or $90 a day to sub. In southwest Ohio where I lived before, it was only $75 a day.

7. my58vw

my58vw Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

In Socal, everything from 80 - 110 per day. My current district is 110 per day, 55 for half, 120 long term (after 6 consecutive days). BTW a non credentialled (i.e. full teacher, not sub), is required to work over 30 days (I have a 30 day emergency sub credential).

8. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 16, 2006

I just started subbing in Albuquerque and according to the handbook there are 7 categories of pay with two categories and hourly rate (for less than full day) and a full day rate. Pay ranges from $52.50 a day to $81.50 a day. Currently I am at $80.00 a dayor 12.37 an hour since I have my teachers certification.

9. Btownsub

Btownsub Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

I sub for a High School district in California. They pay $17/period. So in a normal 5 period day I make $85. ($103 if I can spot sub during my planning period.) Long term subs get paid 1/1000th of the salary of a first year teacher per hour so about $41/period. We also get a $750 bonus for every 60 days that we work (does not have to be consecutive).

10. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

I feel very fortunate because here in New South Wales, Australia the pay is standard statewide. As a 4year trained teacher with one full year teaching experience I earned $271 per day as a sub teacher in general ed. If I subbed on a special education class I would earn something like $9(and some odd cents) as a disabled class allowance on top of that. As for annual income the pay of a casual/sub teacher is supposed to take into account, leave loading, holiday pay and other extras that we don't earn as casuals but would if we worked in a full time capacity. Long term subs (anything longer than 4weeks if working full time, or if working part time anything longer than a full term/10weeks) also get paid pro rata sick leave, holiday pay and leave loading(but that means that per day the rate is somewhat lower) short term sub working for each day of the school year (204 days) would earn AU$55284 (approx US$38699) and currently my salary rate as a permanent teacher sits at just over $54K plus leave loading.

11. LadyBelle85

LadyBelle85 Rookie

Jan 14, 2007

I sub in Orlando, FL.
    With a highschool diploma you can sub for $65 a day
    With a bachelors degree you can sub for $75 a day (what I do)
    If you take a 3 day, $100 course that they offer you get $85 a day.
    Longterm you have to have a certificate and you get 1st year teachers pay which is $180 a day.

12. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 2, 2007

In my hometown - a very small town in East Texas, substitutes are paid $45 a day.

Here where I sub, in a MUCH larger district, it's $65 a day for those with no 4-year degree and $85 a day if you have a degree AND certification. There are varying degrees in the middle of that. Also, if you sub for an aide, you only get $50 a day, no matter what your level of education.

*ETA* You choose your days through an automated system, so that has no effect on your pay. A LT job (10+ days) gets you $10 extra for each day that you worked that particular job.

13. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Feb 3, 2007

I'm relatively new to the DoDDs schools but the pay here is $90/day. Half that for a half day. I believe this is for all DoDDS schools, but I could be wrong. Where I am located they do not have any educational requirements. They are quite desperate for subs. All that is required is that you be 18+ years old and have a pulse. It doesn't really surprise me that many teachers leave lots of worksheets for the sub or schedule a surprise all day read-a-thon.

14. squarepusher

squarepusher Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

ouch

15. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 4, 2007

Thank God! Someone else in my same boat!! $60/day. $30/Half day. Compared to other schools in my area, it is pretty decent. the districts north and south of me are both $50/day. And they wonder why they can't find subs on alot of days. On the plus side, there is work every single day for me!!! But, boy do they make you earn it! They bounce you around during prep times and every free moment to cover for several teachers during the day sometimes. On those day my head spins and I wonder why am I putting myself through this? Let's hope it's a good week. I am 7th grade math all week...for my daughter's teacher. That should be interesting!

16. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Feb 5, 2007

One of my students asked me if I had a second job. He said that most of the substitutes he had told him that they have a second job. I guess the pay rate would be why, in addition to the coming and going of available jobs.

17. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 5, 2007

This is true. I have a part time job in addition to subbing potentially 3 times a week AND full-time school.

The pay for subbing isn't that great ($57 a day), but I'm more annoyed with the fact that I get paid a month (!) after the job.

18. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 5, 2007

Private School Pay.

I work for private schools when I sub for Kelly Educational Staffing. I make about $90 a day. Some private schools may pay from $70 to $90 a day. Check with the school.

19. Zrocker

Zrocker Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

In CO you get paid less if you have the 1 or 3 year licence. $90 a day for 3 year and many schools won't hire you with it so I'm going to endever to get the 5 year licence which pays $120 a day.

A few of the schools up north have laid off teachers so they can get lots of former regular teachers for subs right now. I think this is a big part of why the 3 year licence isn't being hires so much right now.

20. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Apr 3, 2007

BUMP

21. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Apr 3, 2007

I posted on the other thread but my district just gave us a raise, from $105 to $112 a day. Long term makes $218 per day. The other neighboring districts are still at $105. I heard that Los Angeles Unified pays $165 but I am not willing to fight traffic for the extra $$$ (not to mention the time away from my family).

22. Zrocker

Zrocker Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

Bummer on this forum not being sig link friendly because it is in the top 10 for SEO on my user name.

One guy told me he has a sub licence but never used it becasue the school he was going to sub for lowered the rate from $120 a day to $90 a day so some schools are going backwards like Circut City.

Circut City layed off those making $12 an hour and will rehire them at $8 an hour according to a articale in the Rockey Mountain News.

Talked with a Circut City assistant manager and he implied that they were set up with pensions.

It seems like there is a reaction against the raise in minimum wage. In CO the effective mini was $11 an hour in my area. You could get $11 from temp services. Now places want to pay us $8 an hour. I don't think so.

I say if you have a Circut City in your area apply and tell them you won't work for less then $14 an hour.