Sub pay lowered?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teachart, Aug 16, 2013.

1. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

Hi everyone. I subbed after I finished student teaching in April. The pay came to 13.34/hr (as noted on my pay stub) from one district.

That district sent me a letter with forms to fill out if I wanted to sub this year. It also said that pay would be $9/hr :eek:

Luckily I found a job, but I couldn't believe it. They were already paying lower than a lot of other districts, and had a huge sub shortage because of it. Anyone else notice this?

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

Calculated it out and that's $54 for a full day of work (they only count 6 hours for a full day because of lunch and prep I guess.)

I bet if a teacher is out, the others will have to cover during their prep time. One district already does that (which is why I didn't sub for them, because their subs get no prep time or lunch time)

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

SLAP in the face! The district is flipping the bird to sub's faces, and actively trying to disenfranchise them from their chosen profession.

That's the way I look at things like this...as a personal attack.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2013

It's not all that surprising. What is surprising is that more districts aren't doing this and that it hasn't happened sooner.

The district I student taught in (in the Midwest) paid about $60/day.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 16, 2013

It doesn't surprise me either, unfortunately. Subs do not make hourly pay in CA, but they are paid $90-$110 a day in my area of CA. Long term subs are paid $110-$120. When you take our exorbitant cost of living into account ($1300+ just to rent a one bedroom apartment), it's absolutely impossible to live on.

7. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

in Maine it varied from $55/day in one district to $80 in another...I often got called by the 55/day district lol and then would be pleasantly surprised when I had spent a little time in other districts! :-/ I was begging and could not be choosin'

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2013

That's the same rate my district paid IN 1994!

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 16, 2013

Yikes! :eek: Does it pay well now?

10. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

I totally agree, slap in the face. It's a shame because I student taught there and the teachers are fantastic - administration not so much.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2013

I thought sub pay was lower now than when I subbed in 2005-2006. I was calculating it the other day to see if I could survive on it (and quit the nightmare I am in).
    Pretty sure I made $85 a day. I know I was in the $13-per-hour range, too.

12. Mister Eric

Mister Eric Rookie

Aug 19, 2013

Sub pay here has been $55 per day in one district and $60 per day in another. You guys getting $100+ must be rich :)

13. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Rookie

Aug 23, 2013

When I went to our orientation back in June they told us that they may implement some new guideline having to with making sure everyone got called more to sub. We have 900 subs in our district so they were thinking about implementing a 3 day work week. You can only work for 3 days a week. Now if you get a call for the next week to work a multiple day job, say 3 days, then that counts in the system as your 3 days of work. So, that means that if and when you accept that 3 days of work for the next week, it also counts it as the 3 days for that week. So for two weeks, you are only actually working 3 days because you accepted that job that one week and the system counts that as 3 days for that week.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 23, 2013

Lol, it's all relative to cost of living.

I chose to be a para instead of sub. I made about the same and I was FAR from rich. Couldn't have made rent on our one bedroom apartment, which was $1200 back then. We have two incomes. Our area's even more expensive now.

15. microbe

microbe Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I was making about $80 a day as a sub. I couldn't afford to live on my own so I had to stay with my folks. :)

What's sad is that I've already had two teachers from last year ask me to sub already. The sub shortage has gotten even worse but the district doesn't want to pay subs more or lower their standards.

16. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Aug 28, 2013

I'm in a new district and it's $95 a day. That's the worst I've made in awhile. I Hawaii it was $159 and I loved it. (Almost as much as I made as a full time teacher there though....)

17. ZebraStripes

ZebraStripes Rookie

Sep 15, 2013

Wow!

In the Pacific Northwest pay ranges from 105-185 a day!

When I subbed it was 135.

I wasn't aware how little other places pay their subs!

18. Ash Inc

Ash Inc Rookie

Jan 24, 2014

Wow, I feel blessed... our board pays $225 a day to sub. It actually shocks me to imagine all the work/stress some supplies have to endure and only make $55-$80 a day like some of you have mentioned.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 25, 2014

That's $40k a year! :eek: I hope teachers make a lot there...

20. Cinderfella

Cinderfella Rookie

Jan 25, 2014

We make $82/day and haven't seen a raise in 10 years. Of course the teachers and administration have seen a raise almost every year.

21. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2014

I'd be heavily tempted to just sub at that point - so much less stress! High cost of living area?

22. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Jan 25, 2014

Not exceptionally high cost. I think the country (Canada) and province I live in is one of the top for teacher salaries, however. So I'm definitely pretty blessed in that regard.

There's a few teachers for our board who only supply, but most are hoping to get full time work.

23. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Feb 3, 2014

And I thought $125 a day was bad in my current longterm position. Good god. :/

24. Greetwlove

Greetwlove Rookie

Feb 21, 2014

Jemmonee Christmas! Our sub pay has never been lowered, but it certainly hasn't increased (in years!) More expectations for subs...more scrutiny (particularly from Elem teachers...I don't know why) but refuse to keep up w/ the cost of living...which is baffling, b/cuz there are so many complaints of never having enough subs (a sub shortage) and schools here grapple and fight to keep good subs. So ugh...how bout some incentives people?

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2014

Long term pay is much more around here. Where I was an LTS, the daily rate was $78 and the LTS rate was $182.50. You have to work your first 20 days at the $78 rate and then get bumped up to the $182.50 rate for the remainder of the assignment. They don't back pay you for the first 20 days.
    I have heard of districts doing dirty things like forcing you to take a day off and break the consecutive streak, forcing you back to $75ish a day. I know some districts also reset you if you have to take a sick day. Luckily my LTS district was not like that!

26. Greetwlove

Greetwlove Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

I think Taco Bell is paying more.:thumb::2cents:

27. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 1, 2014

Same in my district. They complain incessantly about the quality of subs, the quantity of subs, yet pay rate has not increased since as long as I've been around.

Subs really need some sort of unionization, to protect themselves. Teachers (their brethren) put the wall up between them and sub teachers, and we know school districts do NOTHING but alienate subs from the profession.

28. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

Where I used to sub, the district hired a sub for a PE position. He didn't have a credential, just a BA with the sub. permit. Did not have the CSET. In California the CSET exam proves that you know your content and usually is needed to be in a LTS position (at least that, or a credential). He didn't have it, never took education classes, but yet, they hired him to fill the position for over a year. They paid him the daily rate, after every 20 days or so he was made to take a few days off (or a week?) then he'd go back, and keep teaching.
    I think this is illegal. The fact that he wasn't continuously in the classroom is not true, he was the main teacher, with a few days off every month, yet he wasn't a trained teacher (and he wasn't effective either), and he didn't know the content. This was unfair to the kids.
    I was surprised he was ok with this, when I was a LTS for the same district, they paid me a bit more, (and back then we got benefits, which they stopped by then) and they never made me take days off. I made ok money. He said, why not, he needs the job. He didn't care that they took advantage of him with loopholes.
    Eventually they cut his position.

29. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 1, 2014

I student taught at a district that had a similar policy regarding LTSs. Sub pay was $80 a day. However, after 21 days of continuous work in the same position, pay was bumped up to $92 a day. That extra 12 bucks was too much for the super, though, so LTSs had to take a mandatory day off (without pay of course) every 20th day to keep their pay to the $80. There was a teacher there who worked for 2 years straight (two separate year-long maternity leaves) doing this. She had a master's degree and was making barely above minimum wage for two years straight.