Sub on CNN!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teresaglass, Apr 6, 2007.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 6, 2007

A substitute teacher was videoed not responding to breaking up a fight between two 7th grade girls. He told them to quit fighting and sent for an administrator. A student filmed this using his cell phone. The sub did not get in trouble. He followed the correct protocol but I really believed the student damaged his reputation by filming him. How did the new get wine of it. I am beginning to wonder if teacher authority has eroded to the point that anytime students say anything they are automatically believed. A student I tried to film me as I disciplined an unruly class. He told the the class that the film was evidence that I could not control the class. I wrote him up on a referral for harassment and sent the referral to a counselor. I will not tolerate threats from students! When I subbed in the school and had him in class a second time he was nice. If I were that sub I would sue the kid's parents for libel and I would also sue CNN. Terry G.

3. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Apr 6, 2007

Last week I was subbing for a 6th grade English class. Two girls were quietly going at it back and forth. Yes they were whispering, but I told them to stop several times. Well another girl sitting next to them got in on the action. They kept talking quietly. I told them to do their work and stop talking. They did not. As per the teacher's instructions, I then assigned them punish work. The third girl got upset and said she was not going to do it. She said her mother would not sign it because she had done nothing wrong. She got all huffy and puffy, rolled her eyes, did the lip smack thing, etc... She then started to ball up the punish work paper. Her actions were very disrespectful so I sent her to the office. When she was in the office, she kept insisting to the VP that she had done nothing wrong. He randomly pulled about 4 people from the class and asked them what had taken place. He had them write statements about what the girl was doing and how I had reacted.

Luckily, the students told the truth and the VP saw the incident as I had seen it. However, what would have happened if the students chose to lie and say that indeed the girl had done nothing wrong? I doubt very seriously that the VP would have pulled students out of a regular teacher's class to poll them as to what had happened with a discipline problem.

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 6, 2007

Some of my old coworkers were in 10th and 11th grade. They would cheer at students who struck teachers for confiscating cell phones when students were texting and not listening in class. They would also encourage such disrespect in fifth and sixth graders. I will never send my children to a recreation center! I'm sure not all of them have those problems but it irks me. The girls would also use the cameras to harrass other students.