Sub for LAUSD

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by vsimpkins, Sep 14, 2008.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

I am now available to sub for LAUSD in North 1. I have not had any phone calls, but I have had phone calls from the districts near my home. I decided to sub for LAUSD due to not getting a job for the last 4 years and thought I would spread the wealth and see if my options are better with LAUSD. Should I go to the schools (LAUSD) and leave flyers in teachers mailboxes or what about emailing the office manager to forward my email about me. Help!:confused:

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2008

I was told to leave flyers at the schools.

I'm scheduled to start getting calls from LAUSD on Wednesday. I was supposed to start Monday, but had a personal issue come up.

I'll let write a post when I get my first call.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2008

By all means advertise. Leave flyers. Hand out business cards.

5. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

i actually rearranged my part time job schedule in order to free up more days for subbing, but i haven't received any calls as a new sub which is disappointing, and bad for me financially. my heart is to teach elementary which is to start next month, but i was originally hired as a secondary sub.

i'm concerned - as a new sub, are they really slow to call? or maybe it's just a few factors interplaying - slow economy, budget cuts, new sub, and beginning of the school year?

i need the sub jobs! ay!

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 15, 2008

I am in the OC while I have gotten calls here they have been few. I have five days scheduled before the next pay period.

Stephanie

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008

I've changed my part-time job to day-by-day basis which makes it harder to get work so I hope to get calls, too ... even 2 per week would make the change worthwhile. We'll see when Wednesday rolls around ...

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 15, 2008

things pick up in October.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2008

Thank you for the reassurance. It's much appreciated!

10. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 16, 2008

That is what it says in the long beach system. . .don't fret October is really BUSY.

Hopefully, good news for US!

11. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 16, 2008

I have thought about subbing for LAUSD but worry about the drive eating up my day. While they seem to pay more (and do they offer benefits?) the time away from home may take away any advantage in more money. I am on two districts' sub lists and may add another. One way or another, I am still making my $100 a day no matter what (and I don't have my own class).

12. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

I am subbing for two districts right now and I have added LAUSD, but have not had any calls. LAUSD pays almost double that what the two districts I work for. I am only working in the North 1 district which is closest to me and not downtown LA.

13. str8_2_thepoint

str8_2_thepoint Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

So what does LAUSD stand for? Does this company have a website? Do you know what areas they service?

Thank!

14. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Sep 19, 2008

LAUSD=Los Angeles Unified School District

15. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 20, 2008

They have a website. They service Los Angeles and its suburbs with some exceptions. They are the second largest urban school district in the U.S.

16. str8_2_thepoint

str8_2_thepoint Rookie

Sep 20, 2008

Oh ok thanks for the info. Do u kno what state has the largest urban school district in the U.S?

17. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Sep 20, 2008

New York City

18. str8_2_thepoint

str8_2_thepoint Rookie

Sep 20, 2008

Oh ok.

19. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2008

I bet you'll all start getting calls next week ...

Just wanted to let you all know that I got my first call from LA Unified Friday and got a booking for all next week (because I gave a biz card to the sub coordinator at the school at the end of the day).

I noticed on their board that they had FIVE teachers out that day. And this is just one school in such a huge district ... so I can assume that for all of us in LAUSD, the calls are starting up - if not last Friday, I bet you'll all get calls this week.

20. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 21, 2008

Don't worry everyone! sub jobs will pick up as we move along further into the year. I have my own classroom and I try to go as long as I can before I miss a day. I used to sub too, so I know what it is like waiting for the jobs to come in... They'll pick up. Sorry I am not in LA Unified.
    ~Emily

21. T.A.

T.A. Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

I'm also a sub with LAUSD. I started in January. The subbing jobs with LAUSd are extremelly slow. I just got a notice of the taking my benefits way because I didn't work during the Summer. However, I didn't get any calls during the Summer. If you're near another district, apply to that district.
    As a long-term sub, I've been getting an average of 7 flyers from subs in my box every day. ;-( a really scary situation.

22. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

T.A.
    Thanks for the input. I have been subbing for two other districts near SCV, but they will be on Fall Break next week and I really want to work next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

23. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

What school are you talking about?

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2008

It's in the mid-town LA area - if you're interested, I think there's a way for us to do private messages. You're welcome to contact me privately.

25. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

I'm in SCV, so the schools that you're subbing for aren't in District 1. I'll probably go to the schools in District 1 and leave business cards for the teachers. Thanks!

26. T.A.

T.A. Rookie

Oct 1, 2008

I work in district 2. We just moved ta new campus, and maybe that's why we get all the subs wanting to sub there. It's a beautiful campus. Send me your phone number, or employee to request you. I'm ready for a break just about now. I have 37 six graders in each class and if they don't reduce the size by tomorrow. I'm going to take more that one day absence.

Staying alive
    Monica