Sub Folder

Discussion in 'General Education' started by each1teach1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

Last year was my first year and I never really created a standard sub folder; I just threw something together if I knew I had an absence coming up. But this year I want to have a go to folder that is there and ready so that I don't have to drag myself to school when I'm feeling horrible simply because the students will otherwise have no work to do. But what do you put in a sub folder? Do you update it periodically so the work is relevant to the current topic of study or do you just have some catch all assignments that can be used year long? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

E1T1

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 30, 2009

I put in the standard information-building procedures, a class list, extra worksheets (just one of each, sub can xerox as needed) referral forms, list of helpful students, list of special ed students and a seating chart. The only thing I update is my seating chart. If I am sick, I have worked it out with my teammate to email my plans to her. I call her, let her know that the plans are coming, and she prints them out for the sub. My weekly work is organized into Monday-Friday drawers, so the sub can find them easily.
    Hope that helps!

4. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 30, 2009

My curriculum is in one HUGE binder and we are required to leave lesson plans with the office every week, so assignments are taken care of.
    As for the extra information, my "folder" is on my computer desktop. The only thing in the physical folder (we are required to fill out and leave in the office) is the name of the computer file. I do all of it in OneNote (Microsoft office program) because I like the way the folders, tabs, and sections work. In it, I have :
    -a general procedures folder that has a tab for classroom procedures and a tab for emergency procedures.
    -a rosters folder with a tab for each class that contains (guess what?) rosters.
    -a behavior procedures folder that has a tab for rewards (and a section for each type of reward) and a tab for consequences.
    -a "where can I find" folder that has pictures of the classroom and descriptions of the different things that can be found in each place.
    -a Students folder with a section for each student that has a picture of the student and any specific concerns for each student.
    -an "extras" folder that has different activities that can be done if extra work is needed (these are the catch all activities you mentioned).

I know it sounds like a lot, but I am so anal about planning because the kids in my class need the structure and continuity even when I'm gone.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

List of kids with health issues/allergies
    Pull out schedule
    Master schedule
    'Emergency plans'- good for any day that I just can't drag myself to the computer to write plans- kind of generic stuff
    A read aloud and reading response page
    Math game ideas
    Extra worksheet stuff: abc order, analogies, problem solving
    Fire drill map
    Class list
    District Sub handbook
    Emergency procedures handbook

6. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Class list! (pictures are especially helpful if possible.)

Health & Allergy information for anyone in the class.

Emergency procedure outline. What does the bell sound like for a fire drill? 3 short? 3 long? How does the sub know it's a fire drill and not a tornado drill? What does that one sound like?

Time schedule for "specials" like PE, computer, art, library - along with directions to stay or go, like "stay with them during computer" or "this is your planning time - please check my mailbox in the teacher's lounge in case there are papers to go home in their folders."

Emergency phone numbers or who to call with questions (Is there a teacher next door who is helpful?)

Best to you.

7. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

8. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

I have a great colleague who is on top of things so I don't rely on a sub folder. However, I will say I had a loss in May and was out for 7 days as a result. The first two days I had no work for them because I wasn't mentally capable of thinking about it. Over the weekend I was able to pull it together a little and email my colleague the goals I wanted my students to work on for the week. She handled it great but she wasn't the one subbing - my student teacher took the classes. Looking back, I wish I had more "generic" stuff for her so that she could have actually taught classes and my students wouldn't have spent most of the time doing independent work.

For next year, I plan on leaving "miscellaneous" lessons/work. Stuff that aren't really part of any unit. An example - in math class, I don't teach Roman numerals really, but it would be good for the students to know.

That way, if I do have my student teacher teaching (or another teacher who can teach), there'll be things to teach.

I'll also still have stuff for the students to do independently. (read, answer questions, projects, etc.)

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

Great ideas posted so far!

I don't think it was mentioned, but I usually do a general overview of a "typical" day (what we do when, what I expect, start of the day and end of the day procedures). I let the sub know about my inclusion students (how they can get extra help), and about any students who have issues. I like groovy's advice about certain special requirements that they may not know about. Our subs go to so many different schools that I like to lay everything out.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

For high school English or foreign language classes, a good option is a short video with accompanying questions that have to be turned in at the end of the period.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

Are your subs are allowed access to your computer and your files??

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2009

I love the ideas...this is something I've been wanting to do myself. :)

13. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Oh yes. We have network files (available to all teachers), desktop files (available only to the workstation they are saved on), and protected files... any confidential info goes into the protected file and only myself and the other SpEd teacher know the password for our protected files (network admin has some kind of override password or password remover for emergencies, but we are the only ones who know the actual password). I just save my file onto the desktop and the sub can boot the computer up and access it.
    I guess if your sub couldn't access the file, you could always buddy up with another teacher (or the school secretary) and e-mail each other your own sub file so that your buddy could access the file even if the sub can't.

14. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

As a former sub, I would want an up-to-date class list and seating chart, health/allergy issues (I've had the kids lie to me about allergies to avoid something), good plans but nothing so detailed that I have to wade through pages of information, band/chorus schedules (so the kids don't try to leave 10 minutes earlier than normal), bathroom procedures, emergency procedures, and I would want it all on paper. I normally never had time to go on the computer for any needed information as I was always walking around the room, monitoring kids and assisting with things; I always had the plans at my fingertips so I could refer to them easily. The electronic file sounds like a great idea, if only it were printed up and organized under tabs and things.

Also, please don't leave copies for the sub to make because many subs will come just a few minutes before the kids do, and there are NO opportunities through the day to make copies except when kids are at specials.

Finally, please have all materials, except textbooks of course, in one spot. I had so many plans telling me that something was "next to the books on the counter under the window." Finding things could be a hassle.

15. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

Thanks! you guys are awesome!

16. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jul 1, 2009

I had a sub job once where I walked (a mile) to the workroom where the copier was, only to find that you need a numeric code to make copies. Tracked down the code from someone, somewhere, walked another mile back to the machine, only to find out that I was supposed to have brought my own paper from the classroom to use in the machine. :dizzy:

I missed that Teacher's Inservice on mind reading. I would be so much more effective if I could make it up.

Also, unless your classroom has windows, no movies in high school. The kids all complain they can't see unless you turn the lights out... but who wants to be in a dark room full of football players playing "Sink the Sub" ? No thanks. I think movies in HS are wasted time anyway. Give an assignment out of the book, or something.

Best to you.