Sub Evaluation Report

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by vsimpkins, Mar 9, 2008.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

I just received an evaluation report for substituting in a 5th grade class. I have been subbing for 4 years. The teacher claims that I called four male students lairs for various reasons throughout the day. For this reason, they are dropping me on their sub list. What does anybody else think?

I remember this class, as when the students first walked in I was told that they had a sub the day before, but he won't be coming back anymore. I didn't discuss this any further with them. I dropped it. While students were working quietly on their morning work, as was taking roll, lunch count and just walking around and observing. Some students were a little loud and I just gave them the quiet sign (a finger over my mouth). As the morning progressed, the talking became louder. One student mentioned that the teacher has a signal that helps control the noise. So I turned it on and boy did it work. Until some boys started dropping their books to make the signal make a loud signal at different times. I would just give them a stare and shook my head. Then I would see them do it in front of me and I approached them. Of course they said they didn't do anything and I told them I saw them do it on purpose. I didn't call them liars, I said that when someone sees them doing something and when asked why and they said I didn't do it on purpose. I said be truthful and don't lie. Help:confused:

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Well that stinks!

Before I answer, is it the school dropping you or the district? How big of a deal is this to you in terms of getting other sub jobs?

Lemon

4. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

This school site is very stuck up including the teachers, parents and students. So I really don't care if the school dropped me and I really don't want a job with that district anyway. I sub in 2 other districts. Has this ever happened to you or anyone?

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Hasn't happened to me. Here you are trying to teach good character and it backfires.

I can totally see that happening to a good sub. The kids probably whined to the teacher when she came back about how bad the subs were. Then someone piped up and said you called them liars and a couple of trustworthy kids agreed. She probably got an email from a snooty parent whose child can do no harm. Then she acted. She filed the evaluation so that she could tell the parents that will never happen in her class again and furthermore, the sub will never set foot in the door.

Give me a break. I am so sorry it happened to you but I am so glad you have other places to sub. I don't think there is anything you can do at this point that will make a difference. Just know that you are a great sub and try to avoid altercations with snooty kids. :)

6. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

Thanks lemonhead!

You are probably right about the students and their parents. Their little darlings can do no wrong and they are always right. Should I write an email to the superintendent?

7. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

I'm sorry this situation happened to you. I haven't had this exact experience but I've had experience with a stuck up school. I once reminded a student to pick something up off the floor before it was lost and her reply was, "I don't have to the janitor is supposed to pick it up for me." :eek:hmy:

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

I think the teacher was wrong. To just take the kids word over yours is unfair, and you should have at least been given a chance to tell your side of the story. It sounds like a place where you will be happy to leave.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 9, 2008

I'm sorry this happened to you. Did you leave a note for the teacher explaining what happened? If not, then you might think about including incidents like those in your notes so the teacher knows there was a problem before the students come in and whine about what happened.

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

That is SOOO unfair! The principal should have called you and found out your side of the story before taking any action. It's very unprofessional for the principal to have listened to the students' side of the story - and not even spoken to you.

Not that you want to fight their decision, I probably would send a letter to the principal. And, I'd mention how the comment about how the sub on the previous day would not be returning.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2008

This totally stinks for you! I'm sorry this happened.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

vsimpkins- As wrong as it is for them to do this I would let it go because you are looking for a teaching job. You are obviously working with some opinionated people. I would not write the superintendent or anyone for that matter because it is a small world. The last thing you would want is a bunch of attention brought to it and for everything to snowball. My answer would be different if this was the only place you could sub or the district where you wanted to work.

Again, it sucks and it's wrong and I am sure you were in shock when you read it but I would just leave it for now.

13. longtimesub

longtimesub Rookie

Apr 4, 2008

It's not just you...I have gotten negative evaluations in the past. I am sorry that this happened to you...

This district dropped you after only one bad report? That is harsh...

14. love_to_teach

love_to_teach Rookie

Apr 4, 2008

sounds kinda like what happened to me. A child said that I called the sub in their class "hateful" and I "hated" him, but at the time of the alleged incident, there were 5 other adults around me, but the principal doesn't take those adults into account. What that first grader said I said, went, and now im out of 20 sub jobs. fun. fun.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 4, 2008

I would talk to the sub coordinator of that district. It seems kind of harsh (as a previous poster said) to drop you for that. If it was me I wouldn't want my reputation in question.

16. longtimesub

longtimesub Rookie

Apr 5, 2008

Grievance...I don't know. My guess is that the original poster has moved on...

The fact is that the school administrators don't think much of subs...They have nothing to worry about when they "discipline" subs. No union will complain...Basically subs are at-will employees who could be fired anytime for any reason...Forget the due process..."Due process" is for regular teachers who belong to unions.

17. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 5, 2008

You could write a rebuttal for the sub coordinator and then let it go. You might want to come to work for LAUSD.

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008

I think it was wrong of the teacher. If you are going to get dropped from the sub list then you should have the opportunity to tell your side of the story. I know you don't want to work for the district, but if you did your chances would be shot. All because a few kids want to spin tales. Good subs are hard to come by. You can come sub for me anytime!

19. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

Thanks cherryteacher!

I did write a response to the district and all they said was thanks we'll put it into your file. Makes you feel like it meant something. Oh Well It's their loss, not mine.

20. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

I've applied for LAUSD, but most jobs are near USC and that's too far for me.

21. subteacher8608

subteacher8608 Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

In one of the two districts where I sub, the teachers are requested to fill out sub evaluations. Unfortunately, not every teacher I've subbed for has filled one out. But it asks 9 questions and at the end, the teacher checks an overall rating of outstanding, satisfactory, needs improvement, or unsatisfactory. The teacher can also request to have the sub restricted from their room. Long story short...I received an "unsatisfactory" report and have been restricted from a 4th grade room.

While I really don't care for this school, I was a little disappointed to receive this type of report. I have received about 25 evaluations over the two years I've been subbing, most of those being outstanding, with a few satisfactory. Anyway, this teacher restricted me. I have subbed in this room twice. The evaluation came from my second time in there. According to the teacher, the lesson plans weren't followed. It was also mentioned that coffee was spilled on her grade level books...THE FIRST TIME I was in the room. Behavior was also horrible according to other teachers...but I didn't find them to be that bad! There also wasn't a note about this "bad" behavior.

Regarding the lesson plans...who can do a math activity turning a circle into a square in 10-15 minutes, especially when the materials can't be found right away??????

22. subteacher8608

subteacher8608 Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

I, too, leave notes if something doesn't go right - but apparently none of that mattered to this teacher.

23. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 15, 2008

I leave a detailed not of everything we complete and don't complete. I also note good helpers and problems that occurred. It amazes me that these teachers make up things about a sub and they don't even note that the sub followed the plans, left the room in order, and left a detailed note. I have heard of subs not leaving notes, not following the plans and just passing out all the worksheets that were left from the teacher.