Sub & Cupcake "Drama"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherApr, Oct 30, 2010.

1. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Oct 31, 2010

Exactly. We don't do birthdays at all at my school, but if we did, the office staff would've stopped the parent at the door and made her go home. The sub wouldn't have even known.

2. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 31, 2010

Off "thread," I know but, -- How about student being called to office the last few minutes of school to receive a phone message? :dizzy: Oh, I'm very bossy about MY classroom. As I tell my kids "Welcome to MY world" - "I run my class, not so and so." :D

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2010

I've got to stick up for the sub here. I subbed for a few years and I remember how difficult it was to prepare students to go home when you're not used to a school's or a teacher's routine. Seldom are there instructions on how dismissal happens. I can picture the sub reminding students that we have cupcakes and they need to get their things together quickly so they have time to enjoy them and then running out of time. Of course, I would have probably started rewarding students who were seated and prepared and I'm sure many more would have suddenly cooperated.
    Everybody just needs to chill a bit.
    btw, in my district all subs are certified in the state. There are so many unemployed teachers in PA that they are scrambling to fill sub jobs. They may not have a lot of regular classroom experience, but they do good work.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010

I think the parent and the principal made too much of the deal. The teacher was out. Pass out the cupcakes the next day (at the end of the day). Mountain out of a molehill.

If I were out, I would not want to deal with an upset parent the day I got back. I'd tell her that they will be passed out today and then I'd get back to teaching.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 31, 2010

oh wow.....lol

That's kinda how I am feeling....
    Here, not all subs are qualified teachers...

Another feeling that I am having too. And yes I was VERY ****** that I had to deal with this crap when I wasn't even there!!!

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

Here's how I handle it. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but so far, it seems to keep everyone, including parents, off my back.

If everyone was well behaved, then the child gets to pass out cupcakes and we have a mini class party. (ie: I put on some kid friendly music, everyone gets to sit near their friend to eat their treat and talk.)

If the kids are being HORRIBLE, then I could wrap the cupcakes up in plastic baggies and send them home with each child during dismissal. That way Mom isn't complaining that he child didn't get to celebrate.

On the rare occasion they're somewhere in the middle, what I do is wait toward the end of the day and they can eat the cupcakes, but they have to do their work with the other hand(sounds nutty, but since we serve breakfast in the classroom my kids are used to it)

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2010

Sounds like the sub did what she thought best. You supported her decision. The P should have supported her/your decision even if she did not agree. She should just tell the parent "I'm sorry it worked out that way. The "teacher" made the decision she thought was best. In the future please talk to the classroom teacher ahead of time."

If I were the classroom teacher, I would tell the parent the sub did what she thought best at the time, and ask if she would like to celebrate the birthday one day this week. That's about all that can be done now!

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2010

The Sub should be drawn and quartered...... This "cupcake incident" could negatively impact dozens of kids for years to come...:rolleyes:

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2010

:lol:

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2010

LOL I'm assuming that's why the OP put "drama" in the thread title :p

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2010

I don't know TeacherNY.... but this Sub should never be allowed to sub again........ ( but then again maybe spending a few more minutes drilling on 6X8 or 7X9 would be more beneficial than "cupcakes"...:lol:)

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 1, 2010

lol

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 1, 2010

We do it during snack time. But we also only have one recess a day from 10:30 to 10:50.

14. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 1, 2010

Only 1 recess? Is it common to have more than 1? We have a 15 minute recess, and no snack. Sometimes I wish we did have snack, but I don't know where we would fit it in each day!

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2010

My kids get a 30 minute lunch recess and a 15 minute second recess.

16. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 1, 2010

We have morning recess and a lunch recess then we are expected to go for a 3 hours stretch in the afternoon with no break! On Tuesdays, I GIVE the students a break since we have NO specials. Oh well!