Sub Classics

Discussion in 'General Education' started by titansrst, Nov 8, 2008.

1. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

I have read some sub stories and bet this one will rank right near the top. I had a bathroom emergency and the office sent me a sub to cover. I am disabled, so my restroom trips take between 15-30 minutes. They are rare, however. Now, I left my class of second graders doing research for a geography paper. It basically involved locating cities, landmarks, locations, capital cities, etc. Upon my return, I asked for the students' papers, and noticed many wrong things like Alabama being the capital city of Mississippi and the city of Canada being a border state to Texas. The more I saw, the more ticked I became because I know I taught my kids better than this. Suddenly, one raised his hand and said the sub gave him his info. Several other students chimed in as well. This is the quality of sub we are getting stuck with.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 8, 2008

That stinks but at least it was just for a few minutes and you were undoubtedly able to undo the damage....and that sub saved you from something that may have been embarrassing:)

4. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Nov 8, 2008

Wow.... that's pretty bad!! I hope you were able to set them straight!! :eek:

On a similar note, I have a friend (who is now a teacher...) and when she was a senior in HS she got in an argument with her dad about taking a roadtrip to Alaska. She basically said that she wouldn't want to drive over a bridge that long. :confused: He, of course, was really confused thinking maybe she was referring to a land bridge, and continued arguing with her about driving vs. flying, when she finally blurted, "Well if Alaska and Hawaii are so close, how come there's a bridge there but you can only fly to Hawaii?!?" Turns out, she thought they were next door neighbors after seeing them together for all those years on the U.S. maps....... :rolleyes:

I love her to death, but sometimes she cracks me up. :love:

5. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Nov 8, 2008

This is even more sad because it wasn't a sub, but a regular high school teacher:

My daughter got in an argument (she should have just been quiet and stop, but she just couldn't stand it) with one of her teachers who told the class that Puerto Rico was one of the 50 states. My daughter said it was a territory and although the citizens were considered American it was not a state. The teacher argued that it is a state, like California or Texas are a state. She got kicked out of class, but was redeemed by the principal who then informed her that he has had many problems with the teacher! Then why is the teacher there? :dizzy:

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2008

Things like this make me afraid for the students who are being taught by these people. I am glad that you were only gone for a short time. Imagine what she has taught to students in other classes. I have had to go back and reteach things that the sub confused.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 9, 2008

My brother once failed a world map test in 6th grade. My dad (a high school Social Studies teacher) went to talk with the teacher with map in hand. First of all, my brother had committed the offense of labeling Europe and Asia as separate continents instead of one big Eurasia. Also, instead of labeling the edges of the map as North, South, East and West he had drawn a rosetta. Dad simply brought the sides of the map together (since the world IS round) and asked the teacher where the East and West should go now.

The teacher sent her letter of intent to retire by the end of that month.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2008

That's indeed a real shame & a scary thought. If your state req for a sub is just a HS diploma, then I'm really not surprised even though many elem level students know that that info wasn't right.

If your students knew better than that, they should know not to listen to the sub & just write down wrong things just because an adult told them it was right. It's just like if they wrote down that 2 + 2 = 6 when they know it's wrong, just because an adult told them to.

Nevertheless, I agree w/ you that it's horrendous that some substitutes don't know better than that. If they don't even know 2nd grade info, they better stay subbing for pre-school through 1st grade classes. That substitute should be ashamed of him or herself.
    What concerns me is that this person is going to be sent to numerous schools telling kids God knows what kind of incorrect info.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2008

These stories remind me of the people on "Jay-Walking" on the Jay Leno show...it's amazing how people could get through life believing some of these things!!
    Once in our district there was a sub who was in a classroom in December, and I'm not sure of the whole story or how the conversation came about, but he ended up telling a whole class of first graders that Santa wasn't real and that their parents were all lying to them. Needless to say, almost every kid was crying and it raised a few eyebrows, so he wasn't let back in the district. But why would anyone do that!!?? :eek:

10. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 9, 2008

People like that sub really tick me off. I work hard at my job, and if I don't know something (I admit science is my weakest area) I try to look at the materials and figure it out, that way I can help the students properly. This sub should not be working at a school.

11. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Nov 10, 2008

:eek:hmy:

I'm speechless.

12. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

Gee, with all these horror stories about subs, I am going to have to go back to my Introduction thread site when I signed on and delete that part that indicates I am a substitute. :(

These stories are embarrassing.

13. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Nov 11, 2008

Not all subs are bad!!! Certainly it's "easier" to share the horror stories than the great ones.

I guess it's like a relationship: you tell your best friend or your mom all of the awful things your significant other did, the stupid things s/he said, the way you slept on the couch for two nights because of it, etc. etc. But when s/he does something great, you don't go out of your way to tell anyone because you don't need advice or comfort. In the long run, the friend or your mom might think that this girl/guy is a bum and isn't very good to you, because she only hears one side of the relationship!!! (Did that make any sense? It's late and I've been writing a paper all day....)

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 11, 2008

I was a sub for years. You know you are not this way so don't worry about it. I didn't like the title of this thread when I saw it.

There could easily be a thread called "crappy teacher classics".

I had to be out several days already this year due to illness that was not mine and I am a first year teacher! I asked around and got a good sub so I could prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Be proud of what you do because teachers need good subs and appreciate them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  15. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2008

I agree with the others, there are good subs!! We have one sub at our school that is there everyday and picks up for anyone that is out, and when no one is absent, she is sent to a classroom to work with a single student that needs the help, and the teacher there treats her horribly, yet she does it everyday. We all know that there are some wonderful subs that we don't want to loose. :wub:

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 11, 2008

If teachers keep thinking this about subs then what are they going to do when there are no more subs? I would not want to sub if I am being belitted. I as a sub would never do what that sub did. If I do not know the info I would try and look it up for the student or tell them I am not sure and to ask there teacher. I would never give out info I did not know was true. If I did not know what the answer was I would not make things up.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2008

As with anything, it's more entertaining to tell the bad stories than the good ones. I think it's as simple as that.

We've read lots of posts about the evil teacher in the next room, or the principal who was clueless. I don't think it's meant as an indictment of an entire class of people, just a way to laugh and maybe vent a little at a rough day.

In subbing, as in teaching and administration and every other job in the universe, there are the good and the bad, the ones who make it look effortless and the ones who should find another line of work ASAP. I don't think this thread was meant as anything more than that.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 11, 2008

Sadly, my story about my brother's map test was a full-time teacher. She was an English teacher who was dropped down to elementary school level because she wasn't very good in middle school. Even more sadly, she was placed at one of the more disadvantaged elementary schools in the district (I could actually see the tracks from there and we were on the wrong side).

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2008

My next door neighbor teacher was out for two days--un planned. She had a very good sub the first day. Everything set out for the day was completed, graded and stacked neatly with a note of explanation about the day.

The next day the sub didn't even speak English.

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2008

whoa, this should be against school policies.

21. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 12, 2008

After getting the email update on this thread I felt I had to say this. On this (and other forums) subs "vent" about bad classes, bad schools, bad teachers...I do not have a problem with teachers "Venting" about bad subs or other teachers. Forums are meant to help us deal with things, it is often easier to vent to a internet communication system than it is to fellow coworkers. It allows us to think without personally offending someone.

22. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 12, 2008

I am proud of the work I do as a substitute. As I sometimes tell people, in part I do the subbing for fun. But I feel a certain responsibility to help students be better equipped to make their transition into the future.

As in any profession, there are different levels of competency. I wonder if many of the "bad" substitutes take the position for no other reason they need money and are unable to find anything else to provide it. Since I am retired, that reason is not a factor for me.

This forum is a superb way of gathering information, learning from the mistakes of others, venting (which can be critical to ones well being), and having a lot of fun.

23. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2008

I had a great sub today. My room was left in order. All papers were clipped together. She left a note detailing what was completed and what wasn't. I was in the building at a training and everytime I walked by the room, the children were engaged and seemingly well behaved.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2008

In my experience, districts tend to have long lists of potential substitutes - and much shorter lists of substitutes who are good, who (in areas where teachers are allowed to request subs) will have all the work they want and then some.

A good substitute is worth his or her weight in high-grade Belgian chocolate.

25. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 14, 2008

:agreed:I like that! mmm! Now I want some Chocolate

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2008

We're still eating the Halloween chocolate, though "high-grade Belgian chocolate" seems to be missing.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2008

Alice, you're worth TWICE your weight in high-grade Belgian chocolate.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2008

Hey, if I don't keep away from that Halloween candy, that's going to be a lot of Belgian chocolate!!!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2008

Okay, gang, in chorus: "She's all that!"

30. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Nov 15, 2008

I have one to contribute. I am a one on one in the room who could sub and really SHOULD sub,;) but obviously cannot because of my one on one student. He was absent today and the teacher was out in the morning, so we had a sub in. I left to go to lunch and she did Time for Kids with the students. This week's has Obama on the cover, as you would expect.

I come back from lunch to see some of the kids coloring and drawing fake moustaches, etc. on our new President-elect's face. Some of the students came up to me, very upset; apparently the sub defended the students who were drawing on Obama saying it is their right under the Constitution to do so, free speech, expression blah blah blah :eek: I was shocked, but sat there and said, "Well, I suppose one could see it that way"

The teacher comes back in the afternoon and sees these displays of artwork and looks at me like :eek: I said "I was not here. But you know, they have that right under the Constitution, right? The sub taught them about that right."

So trying to explain why it is disrespectful is kind of moot at this point, as teachable moments go. :lol: These are 2nd graders by the way.

31. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Nov 16, 2008

I started this thread......

and am quite happy with the responses. In fairness, there are some very good subs out there, but they are eaten up by the better schools and better districts. The districts that really need the best subs usually can't get them because of location, high crime rate, etc. As for venting about a colleague, I have always taken any complaint I have to the face of the offender. Too many teachers are weasels who run to the ears of the closest person to talk about someone. Before I taught, I was an education reporter who witnessed hundreds of such examples. What makes a good teacher? What makes an ineffective teacher? Jesus, if anyone knew the answer and bottled it he or she would be rich. We all have different tastes, whether it be dark vs white chocolate or a taskmaster vs over the edge nurturer. I just ask that the information being given is accurate and made understandable to as many children as possible. Wrong info is not just the domain of subs. I work with a person who told the class that Tennessee was on t he west coast; another worker talked about the Soviet Union existing in 1998, years after the Berlin Wall fell and the Soviet Union became a collection of independent countries.