Sub Bag Worksheets

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Jen84, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Mar 22, 2012

I'm a new substitute teacher and am putting together my sub bag. I would like to include some worksheets and was wondering if the other subs here print out enough for an entire class at home, or if you just keep one in your bag and photocopy it at the school. Thanks in advance.

3. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Mar 22, 2012

Please do not waste your money on "ink jets" trying to print everything you may need. I honestly do not carry much and if I get to a school with no plans, I would check with the office and the teacher next door and between the two I should have something. My ink jets cost about 60 bucks total and I like to use them sparingly. Hope this helps.

4. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

Mar 22, 2012

I bring my lunch and a pen for me, that I don't share. I don't make enough to buy supplies.

5. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Mar 23, 2012

I have printed off enough for a whole class before and I have yet to use them. There is always something for the students to do and if I can't find any plans I go and ask the secretary and/or another teacher and they are usually very happy to help. I went into a classroom last week and had no plans at all, I went to ask one of the other teachers and had a whole days worth of review work for the students to do in a matter of ten minutes, now grant you that doesn't always happen like that ( I was pretty lucky there) but there is generally someone that can help out. I think a good supply of books, some educational bingo or other games like that and some "prizes" are always good to keep stocked on though. I forgot my bag one day and was playing telling time bingo and had to send their prizes in the next day for them, they really didn't mind that and thought it was cool that I remembered to send it in though :) Anyway, sorry I rambled on there for a sec :) If you would feel more comfortable having your own worksheets for a just in case fallback I would think it would be perfectly fine to print one at home and copy at the school on a prep or lunch period, otherwise I would just keep some games and other stuff I mentioned, and maybe a few other tidbits. Good luck :)

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2012

I think you'd be better off having lists of activities and writing prompts. Printing your own worksheets can get expensive. Besides that, worksheets can often be completed fairly quickly, so you're still left with chunks of time to fill (if you don't already have plans to follow). Writing prompts, educational games, and other activities would be better, I think.

7. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Mar 23, 2012

As was said above, activities are better. Look up some quick time fillers and use those (heads up seven up, lining up by letter of your first name, etc, etc, etc). Or use a talent or special interest - I used to tell stories about my crazy cat and I've heard of others who played the guitar, brought something special in to show the kids, etc.

8. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Mar 23, 2012

I've done the writing prompts before. and where the kids write part of a story for a few minutes and then pass their paper to the next kid. You just have to give a friendly reminder about appropriateness.

Funny story...The one time I did this a had one kid make a comment/joke (NOT a threat) about a bomb in school. We had a discussion about how that is a REALLY BAD THING to joke about.
    30 min later? We had a bomb threat and had to evacuate the school. The announcement come over the PA system, the kid looked at me, and said "I will never, EVER, do that again" I don't think he'll forget anytime soon....

Other than that....I have a folder of some random crossword and word search puzzles I had sitting in my house I threw in my bag, I've used them a handful a times to keep a few MS kids quiet during study hall or after a test. And I think I have a book to read aloud when I have about 10 minutes to kill at the end of a period and the kids can't handle anything else without getting themselves in trouble.

But again, I hardly ever use them.

9. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Mar 23, 2012

Thank you all so much! You have given me some great ideas on what to include in my bag. :)

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 25, 2012

Don't bother with worksheets.
    A) You'll rarely have access to a school copier. Paper is a valued commodity in schools and the copy machines generally require a pass code so the schools can track the copies teachers make.
    B) Printer ink is way too expensive to print your own at home, and subs don't make nearly enough money to throw away.
    C) See B for copy centers - not worth the hassle and expense.
    D) No need to schlep around a bag that is heavier than necessary.

Most classes have plenty to work on on their own if you have fast finishers or time to kill. The kids will tell you they don't but they always have a test to study for, work to finish, or a list of "must do's or may do's" that the teacher establishes each week. I've also found that every grade past second, has reading to do and a classroom library for the kids who claimed the finished their book. I tell them they should always, always be reading something and carrying a book with them to school each day. For very young kids, what you can do is come up with a list of games if you ever have to kill time. If all else fails, make yourself a list of of writing prompts for each grade level.